Budget, location, facilities AND Adams transfer judgement | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Budget, location, facilities AND Adams transfer judgement

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Steve Evans":3fsjsqnc said:
excellent facilities down here,a great location to live,the players travel the day before for goodness sake not in their own cars.the budget we don't know but he has wasted money on burgoyne,macey and o'keefe.

Excellent facilities? Where? Not until next season.

And for all the poor signings we’ve made, Burgoyne seems a harsh criticism as he was injured straight away.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
SwimWithTheTide":8e7vpj6i said:
Injuries cost us last season, so let's re-sign those injury prone players and a load of released player's that spent last season out injured to supplement the squad... Poverty budget?

Why are we a basket case club still? Sustainable... F off.

As I alluded to in the OP, there is just no way any of our signings (with the possible exception of Moore and Smith-Brown?) were wanted by any other League 1 club.

They were either injured or didn’t play for all or large parts of last season (Dyson, Canavan, C Grant, Riley). Or just had a terrible time of it in this league (Wootton, Ladapo).

None of those players would have any leverage for a high wage, which points to a restricted budget. But then the resigning players who DO have leverage based on their L2 and L1 exploits would have taken up a fair chunk of the wage bill.

It seems to me that DA has taken the not unsensible move of 1) concentrating on keeping the core of last season’s players, 2) spending decent money on addressing the attacking full back areas, and 3) bulking out the squad with back-ups.

However, he seems to have misjudged points 1) and 3), especially the apparent decision not to stretch to keep Bradley.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Guiri Green":3e2medc3 said:
Imagine if we could still get to Glasgow or Gatwick in about 90 minutes. Only Plymouth could gnaw it's own feet off and then moan about having to walk everywhere.

The airport ain’t coming back, but if I had anything to do with Plymouth transport I would be doing everything in my power to rename the Exeter airport to ‘Exeter and Plymouth Airport’, whacking them a few million quid to expand, and getting a fleet of shuttle buses going to and fro every half hour.

It’s not that far away, and time-wise takes about the same time to get to Plymouth city centre as it would in Rome and Barcelona.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Considering the record of injuries of new recruits, you have to wonder how thorough our ‘subject to medical’ checks are.

Mar 18, 2006
Lots of talk re budgets , my guess is that our budget is far from the best and far from the worst in the division .
What is clear though, is that these players were not panic buys signed on deadline day, they were all pretty much signed very early after last season ended. That tells me they must have been pretty high up on Adams list of players he wanted . That is very worrying .

Mar 23, 2008
Johndelve":33im2kwi said:
Lots of talk re budgets , my guess is that our budget is far from the best and far from the worst in the division .
What is clear though, is that these players were not panic buys signed on deadline day, they were all pretty much signed very early after last season ended. That tells me they must have been pretty high up on Adams list of players he wanted . That is very worrying .
Exactly right. Three that spring to mind are Canavan, Conor Grant and Ladapo who all said they knew DA had been interested for a while. Scary really, I get the idea in taking the odd punt but 10 punts when you could have signed 4 or 5 decent players is the route of our issue. The midfield perplexed me when you have three ball players in Fox, Grant and O'Keefe when the latter two are not as good as Fox. Had we simply adequately replaced Bradley and Threlkeld, signed a decent keeper and another target man and we would have been in good shape. Push the budget for those 4 positions instead of the 10 signed, throw in a couple of loans and we would have a good team.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Especially Dyson, seems strange he’s been on our radar for so long but then doesn’t get a sniff. That comes with the obvious caveat that he’s just scored 5 goals in a reserve game, there are 33 first team games to go, and we could easily be sitting here in May talking about how crucial it was that he came into the side.

I do still feel there will be a Lameiras or Ness figure who emerges. Right now it’s a mess, but it won’t be forever.

Re budget again, it’s important to emphasise that even if our budget was 10th in pure numbers, in real terms that may be more like 15th-20th because we undoubtedly have to pay more for players to relocate. Though as I say, the majority of our summer signings probably jumped at the chance to sign for a League 1 club in the first place.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
The argument narrows down one question (well, two to be precise). Most fans tend to agree that the present squad is not good enough. Is it due to poor recruitment by the manager ? Or is it due to the manager having to make bargain basement signings because of his budget ? I don’t know !

Mar 23, 2008
Ipplepen green":1w60x2w9 said:
The argument narrows down one question (well, two to be precise). Most fans tend to agree that the present squad is not good enough. Is it due to poor recruitment by the manager ? Or is it due to the manager having to make bargain basement signings because of his budget ? I don’t know !
A conscious decision was made to go for quantity over quality, buck stops with the gaffer.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Biggs":2n5mswm9 said:
Guiri Green":2n5mswm9 said:
Imagine if we could still get to Glasgow or Gatwick in about 90 minutes. Only Plymouth could gnaw it's own feet off and then moan about having to walk everywhere.

The airport ain’t coming back, but if I had anything to do with Plymouth transport I would be doing everything in my power to rename the Exeter airport to ‘Exeter and Plymouth Airport’, whacking them a few million quid to expand, and getting a fleet of shuttle buses going to and fro every half hour.

It’s not that far away, and time-wise takes about the same time to get to Plymouth city centre as it would in Rome and Barcelona.

Because everyone wants to spend 50 minutes on a bus after/before their flight.

Plymouth has it's attractions - but it's not exactly Rome or Barcelona.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
crownhillpilgrim":28lfhvt4 said:
Biggs":28lfhvt4 said:
Guiri Green":28lfhvt4 said:

Must be why we lost out on that Messi deal then

May 16, 2016
crownhillpilgrim":iz2ir01t said:
Biggs":iz2ir01t said:
Guiri Green":iz2ir01t said:

It's still easier and possibly cheaper to get to Bristol Airport than it is Exeter by Public transport from Plymouth.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Guiri Green":2i46znip said:
crownhillpilgrim":2i46znip said:
Biggs":2i46znip said:
Guiri Green":2i46znip said:

It's still easier and possibly cheaper to get to Bristol Airport than it is Exeter by Public transport from Plymouth.

Do not forget Newquay Airport. Currently the fastest growing airport for passenger numbers in the UK. 50 mins drive on a good day from Plymouth. Bagage reclaim in about 5 minutes. Easy Jet and Flybe offer regular flights

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
crownhillpilgrim":1mhsis8q said:

If it was free and super smooth (straight from Exeter Airport to Plymouth city centre) then that's quite attractive and I'd certainly use Exeter airport way more.

I'm clearly not comparing Rome and Barcelona to Plymouth, but the point is that loads of airports are miles outside their respective cities in a comparable way to Exeter-Plymouth.

The Plymouth airport isn't coming back so we may as well make Exeter as good as it can be, and as easy to get from/to as possible from Plymouth.