Budget, location, facilities AND Adams transfer judgement | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Budget, location, facilities AND Adams transfer judgement

Apr 15, 2008
London
Biggs":3pb10ylm said:
crownhillpilgrim":3pb10ylm said:
Because everyone wants to spend 50 minutes on a bus after/before their flight.

Plymouth has it's attractions - but it's not exactly Rome or Barcelona.

If it was free and super smooth (straight from Exeter Airport to Plymouth city centre) then that's quite attractive and I'd certainly use Exeter airport way more.

I'm clearly not comparing Rome and Barcelona to Plymouth, but the point is that loads of airports are miles outside their respective cities in a comparable way to Exeter-Plymouth.

The Plymouth airport isn't coming back so we may as well make Exeter as good as it can be, and as easy to get from/to as possible from Plymouth.

"Come to sunny Plymouth - though you have to allow an hour and a quarter for the coach to Exeter on a winding dual carriageway"

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's 50 minutes to Plymouth city centre, which isn't ideal but not unusual in major cities in Europe. If that 50 minutes is hassle-free and free of charge then it would be fine for most people, and I can't believe there isn't already a shuttle service operating. Presumably because that would be admitting defeat with a Plymouth airport.

Do you not think it should be as easy as possible to get to the nearest international airport?

May 8, 2011
Guiri Green":3gow97uh said:
crownhillpilgrim":3gow97uh said:
Biggs":3gow97uh said:
Guiri Green":3gow97uh said:
Imagine if we could still get to Glasgow or Gatwick in about 90 minutes. Only Plymouth could gnaw it's own feet off and then moan about having to walk everywhere.

The airport ain’t coming back, but if I had anything to do with Plymouth transport I would be doing everything in my power to rename the Exeter airport to ‘Exeter and Plymouth Airport’, whacking them a few million quid to expand, and getting a fleet of shuttle buses going to and fro every half hour.

It’s not that far away, and time-wise takes about the same time to get to Plymouth city centre as it would in Rome and Barcelona.

It's still easier and possibly cheaper to get to Bristol Airport than it is Exeter by Public transport from Plymouth.

Not true, train to Exeter St David’s and then bus to the airport from outside the station. Takes about 90 minutes and costs about £15 for a return journey.

May 16, 2016
HC Green":2cvxv95l said:
Guiri Green":2cvxv95l said:
crownhillpilgrim":2cvxv95l said:
Biggs":2cvxv95l said:
Guiri Green":2cvxv95l said:
Imagine if we could still get to Glasgow or Gatwick in about 90 minutes. Only Plymouth could gnaw it's own feet off and then moan about having to walk everywhere.

The airport ain’t coming back, but if I had anything to do with Plymouth transport I would be doing everything in my power to rename the Exeter airport to ‘Exeter and Plymouth Airport’, whacking them a few million quid to expand, and getting a fleet of shuttle buses going to and fro every half hour.

It’s not that far away, and time-wise takes about the same time to get to Plymouth city centre as it would in Rome and Barcelona.

It's still easier and possibly cheaper to get to Bristol Airport than it is Exeter by Public transport from Plymouth.

Not true, train to Exeter St David’s and then bus to the airport from outside the station. Takes about 90 minutes and costs about £15 for a return journey.

It's not 24/7 is it ? £15 return coach to Bristol for seniors
, £28 Standard fare and that drops off literally outside the door to departures. The arrival of Ryanair to Exeter might open up the possibility of better links.

The journey time from Exeter by Car, wouldn't raise an eyebrow in a lot of areas.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Exactly. A no-hassle, 50 minute, subsidised 24/7 shuttle bus from Plymouth city centre to Exeter Airport has to make flying to and from there at least 50% more appealing for Plymothians. It's way better than tubes and trains to Gatwick or Stansted if you're a Londoner.

Again, if I was at Plymouth City Council I'd be putting my eggs in the Exeter airport basket and perhaps whacking them a few million quid for a rename and that shuttle bus service.

So back to the point of the thread... the new grandstand alleviates the facilities and budget issue, and something like that shuttle bus and a larger Exeter (and Plymouth) Airport alleviates the location issue slightly. Especially with new routes in the UK and around Europe, if and when we employ a foreign manager and more foreign players.

That makes at least partial sense, doesn't it?

May 8, 2011
Biggs":21pa94r4 said:
Exactly. A no-hassle, 50 minute, subsidised 24/7 shuttle bus from Plymouth city centre to Exeter Airport has to make flying to and from there at least 50% more appealing for Plymothians. It's way better than tubes and trains to Gatwick or Stansted if you're a Londoner.

Again, if I was at Plymouth City Council I'd be putting my eggs in the Exeter airport basket and perhaps whacking them a few million quid for a rename and that shuttle bus service.

So back to the point of the thread... the new grandstand alleviates the facilities and budget issue, and something like that shuttle bus and a larger Exeter (and Plymouth) Airport alleviates the location issue slightly. Especially with new routes in the UK and around Europe, if and when we employ a foreign manager and more foreign players.

Brexit could scupper employing a foreign manager and players and with the rules about using home grown players currently in force the number of foreign players including Scots, Irish and Welsh in a team is limited.

Probably the reason for Fletcher being on the bench recently following Sawyer’s injury as the match day squad has to have one player that was in the Club’s youth system.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":wbp4w618 said:

The facilities for the players aren't going to be completely resolved next year. I once picked up an Argyle player in the taxi and was told how if they needed the loo during training they either had to use the bushes or run back to Home Park. The training facilities are still light years behind what a professional should be able to expect. Once completed, the grandstand might well be improved upon with a much improved match day experience for the players but their every day environment will still be those lacking training facilities.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Harpers Park has had extensive improvements since though, hasn't it? If it's had 'state of the art' drainage installed then surely a portaloo would be fairly easy to install, or indeed was part of those improvements.

Either way, you're 100% right that the player experience will be as important as the fan experience. For that reason alone I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the few people who don't think the grandstand redevelopment is crucial.

Said it in the OP, but just imagine travelling 100s of miles from home to Plymouth to be confronted with that pre-redeveloped training ground and grandstand. It's SUCH a hard sell.

Jul 13, 2006
up_the_line":287iucwl said:
SwimWithTheTide":287iucwl said:
Several options to consider.

It's either a terrible budget and Adams has created a squad on scraps doomed for failure.

Adams has recruited terribly, misused the budget and created a squad doomed for failure.

Or Adams is unable to manage a very reasonable squad to perform.

My guess it's point 1 or 2. Anyone have any idea what Adams' mate Greg does?

Are you referring to Greg Wylde? If so I'd love to know his secret because from where I'm sat I see a guy whose primary skill is being able to cross the ball over Yeovil aerodrome, being paid enough to park a fk off expensive motor like a complete mam and not having to do much apart from kick a ball around in training, keep himself in shape and have a holiday most of us could only dream of for a few months every summer.
Same goes for Ainsworth and it would seem probably Dyson as well.

Greg Strong the Argyle "scout".

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":311zx2l6 said:
Biggs":311zx2l6 said:

The facilities for the players aren't going to be completely resolved next year. I once picked up an Argyle player in the taxi and was told how if they needed the loo during training they either had to use the bushes or run back to Home Park. The training facilities are still light years behind what a professional should be able to expect. Once completed, the grandstand might well be improved upon with a much improved match day experience for the players but their every day environment will still be those lacking training facilities.

As a golfer I frequently have to use the bushes and it is not unheard of for the players to use the Mayflower as a urinal. :whistle: