Busy summer ahead | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Busy summer ahead

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Close season will very much be open for business season
I don't envy SH & his teams In -Tray combined with the end of season post mortem
Do they decide on the Head Coach/Manager before they decide on targeted signings- surely the incoming Head Coach/Manager will want a say on who we sign
This close season will be planned & run like a military operation as they will want to get the Head Coach/Manager right after the horror show of the 87 day tenure

Feb 8, 2005
I think there is a lot of truth in that. I am however slightly struggling to see how the doubling down with the plan to become a top 6 championship club within 5 years fits with that narrative thought
I understand your reasoning, GF, and to some degree I thought it was a bit far fetched also.

However, having gained promotion, Hallett then had to try to keep the supporters onside and give them an insight into what the club were trying to create. He had to project improvement year on year, an illusion, if you were, of what the future may hold. Theoretically, it was feasible, and it kept everyone onside. It was something to hold onto and become a target for the future. The club had to be positive or it would lose all goodwill from its newfound supporters and gave the club something to try to achieve.

However, having now experienced the football in the Championship, I think that we can say it was over ambitious and I suspect it will become a little embarrassing for Hallett in the future. It will be a challenge to stay in the Championship, with the financial challenges that it brings us, either now or in the future.

Feb 8, 2005
I don't envy SH & his teams In -Tray combined with the end of season post mortem
Do they decide on the Head Coach/Manager before they decide on targeted signings- surely the incoming Head Coach/Manager will want a say on who we sign
This close season will be planned & run like a military operation as they will want to get the Head Coach/Manager right after the horror show of the 87 day tenure
Do we dictate who the players are that come to the club, and employ a head coach to provide tactics and create a successful team from those players, or do we employ a head coach who suggests the type of player he requires and let data analysis provide him with a list of players to choose from, or do we allow him to choose his own players and leave it to us to negotiate terms with both the player and the club?

Hallett has already stated the way that he wishes his club's players to perform. Does he continue to tie his head coach's hands or will he release this clause and allow the head coach to vary the way the club plays according to the opposition that we play?

I doubt whether Hallett will step down from his commitment to the way that he wants his team to play, but he may have to adjust his demands if we remain in the Championship.

Reactions: greenpig27
Oct 10, 2018
I would bet on Hardie, Whittaker, Cooper not being here too, potentially Edwards, Forshaw. We could see a huge recruitment drive take place.
Agree except for Jo Edwards, I think he may be taken on in Irelands coaching role, when he leaves post season, or Cooper- its more difficult for British goalies to move up a level over past 5 to 10 years, and with his recent successive injuries, I don't see many clubs approaching Argyle for Cooper and offering the amount the club values him at. Cooper is also a green through & through, it would need to be a big opportunity.

Reactions: Hank Moody

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
To reiterate the Joe Edwards position.

In October 2022, Joe signed a new deal which committed him to Argyle as a player until 2025, and included an agreement in principle for him to stay at Home Park in a coaching capacity afterwards.

Reactions: David Doidge
Oct 10, 2018
Do we dictate who the players are that come to the club, and employ a head coach to provide tactics and create a successful team from those players, or do we employ a head coach who suggests the type of player he requires and let data analysis provide him with a list of players to choose from, or do we allow him to choose his own players and leave it to us to negotiate terms with both the player and the club?

Hallett has already stated the way that he wishes his club's players to perform. Does he continue to tie his head coach's hands or will he release this clause and allow the head coach to vary the way the club plays according to the opposition that we play?

I doubt whether Hallett will step down from his commitment to the way that he wants his team to play, but he may have to adjust his demands if we remain in the Championship.
Way I look at data analytics should allow a player to appear on clubs radar, yet head coach should have opportunity to scout or view players on action. So believe it should be a bit of.both.

Secondly entertainment is subjective and a luxury you can afford when you have results and credit in.the bank as a head coach, primarily its about results, bet not.too many Millwall fans are complaining about NH team win.last 4 games 1-0 and securing Championship status.

You have to cut your cloth accordingly and it's easy to play at entertaining style against lesser quality opposition, less so in Championship or top 5 in L1.

I know many will disagree but I'd rather the new head coach 1st of all gave Argyle a foundation for success, then secondly worry about.playing.like Ajax

Sep 6, 2006
Would be a bit daft to sign players before an appointment and lumber a new manager with them don't you think?

Oct 10, 2018
Do think there are some good head coachings out there, yet we have to be realistic in our expectations.

Many fans will be very dismissive at this suggests, Lee hobbs what he achieved at Parkway was miraculous, all those postponed fixtures crammed into a ridiculous period, he knows what around the local area in young talent and what's missing. Has experienced of managing a variety abilities, ages and experience.

Feb 8, 2005
Way I look at data analytics should allow a player to appear on clubs radar, yet head coach should have opportunity to scout or view players on action. So believe it should be a bit of.both.

Secondly entertainment is subjective and a luxury you can afford when you have results and credit in.the bank as a head coach, primarily its about results, bet not.too many Millwall fans are complaining about NH team win.last 4 games 1-0 and securing Championship status.

You have to cut your cloth accordingly and it's easy to play at entertaining style against lesser quality opposition, less so in Championship or top 5 in L1.

I know many will disagree but I'd rather the new head coach 1st of all gave Argyle a foundation for success, then secondly worry about.playing.like Ajax
I agree that data analytics can only take player research so far, we still have to fall back on the old fashioned way of watching a player and researching his background. Data analytics will reduce the numbers so that you can concentrate on the type of player with skill sets that you are after.

I also agree that the club should adjust the way it plays according to the opposition, and also the state of the game at the time. Changes need to be made at certain times of the match, according to the scoreline and according to the way that the play is being made, by both sides.

We must employ someone who realises that a game of football is about a combination of scoring goals, and also about preventing goals from being scored against you. Concentrating on one of these things will not give you success without the other. Simple to say but difficult to put into practise, especially outside the Premiership where skill levels are not as prominent, and tactics take a higher relevance and priority.

Apr 30, 2011
He's got some stick on here this season but he's been a vastly underrated player in my opinion. Neat and tidy and the good work he does goes unnoticed. Just sometimes he lofted/long balls are questionable.
He's classy, just think he can be exposed positionally and for height. I think he would be a better right back than centre back. I hope he stays.

Feb 8, 2005
We bought Wright x 2, Waine and Earley when we were top of L1 and we were never out of the top two from January onwards so the planning must have been to use these players in the Championship.
I repeat, I don't think Argyle ever planned for promotion.

At the start of the season our target was to get into the play-offs, and that mindset continued throughout the season, not expecting us to be in the automatics at the end of the season, even when we were at the top in January.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Do think there are some good head coachings out there, yet we have to be realistic in our expectations.

Many fans will be very dismissive at this suggests, Lee hobbs what he achieved at Parkway was miraculous, all those postponed fixtures crammed into a ridiculous period, he knows what around the local area in young talent and what's missing. Has experienced of managing a variety abilities, ages and experience.

You suggesting we go for him? If so it will be a worse appointment then Foster, plus he probably hasn’t got all his badges

Oct 10, 2018
How do you know he would be worse than Ian Foster, Mckenna had only ever coached at Utd academy before moving Ipswich as again Academy coach, when Paul Cook sacked, Mckenna step up and rest is history.

Hobbs has battled it out in the trenches as a manager with two promotions, not just at U20 's were teams play a few friendlies and 12 games at a tournament. So a totally different set of credentials

Feb 11, 2024
Cannot anybody explain to me how Wrexham were an attractive proposition to investors but not us?
Spot on, absolute sh!thole would be a glowing trip advisor review. The takeover/ money couldnt have happened to a less deserving team / place (aprt from Excreter)!