Bye Bye Callum | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bye Bye Callum

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well yes, but I'm playing devil's advocate to Mark's 'dismal', 'disgraceful' and 'absolute joke' judgement of the decision and Adams' handling of youth players.

I'd agree that it would make sense to take him from Dorchester, send him to the Conference for the rest of the year and go from there at the end of the season.

Equally, playing well in the Southern Premier League doesn't necessarily mean that much when the ultimate point is to play in a League 1 or Championship first team. He may have indeed been watched and deemed not to have the potential or playing style required to play much higher. Who knows??

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Biggs":147w6f6u said:
Well yes, but I'm playing devil's advocate to Mark's 'dismal', 'disgraceful' and 'absolute joke' judgement of the decision and Adams' handling of youth players.

I'd agree that it would make sense to take him from Dorchester, send him to the Conference for the rest of the year and go from there at the end of the season.

Equally, playing well in the Southern Premier League doesn't necessarily mean that much when the ultimate point is to play in a League 1 or Championship first team. He may have indeed been watched and deemed not to have the potential or playing style required to play much higher. Who knows??

If he is doing well for Dorchester then common sense and logic would say give the young lad a chance at a higher level and given the chance, could impress there too. I don't normally agree with some of Marks points on the youth, but what's the point of giving him the contract and then when he impresses get rid? It's a bit of a farce. And we wonder why Exeter sell their kids on.. they're given more of a chance to develop and progress. This is the one occasion where we could have a good young centre back progressing and we get rid. Frustrating.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
LeonTheGreen":367rdtr5 said:
If he is doing well for Dorchester then common sense and logic would say give the young lad a chance at a higher level and given the chance, could impress there too.

Agreed that's the overwhelmingly obvious course of action to an outsider, which is why I was offering balance. There must be a reason WHY that overwhelmingly obvious course of action hasn't been taken.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Will Callum Rose make us a better football team? No.
Is he better than any of our back four? No.
Will he be in the next 12 months? Probably not.

Edwards, Bradley and Songo'o are all good centre backs at this level and they are still young in Football League terms at 26 and under. Realistically, Rose would have to be VERY good to break through, or would need a real injury crisis. Centre back is probably the most difficult position to break through in as a young player, even at elite level. In fact young players breaking through and nailing down any position is rare, not without loans etc first. It's nowhere near as easy as it used to be. This is best for both parties.

And RE: River Allen & Tyler Harvey. They're both at Truro after failing at National League clubs. Not sure they support the argument.

Aug 2, 2011
As I have previously stated we do not have all the facts but to immediately blame Adams without knowing the full story is to say the least pathetic. There are a whole set of reasons which could lie behind the decision and not all may relate to playing ability.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Presto":18ti292j said:
As I have previously stated we do not have all the facts but to immediately blame Adams without knowing the full story is to say the least pathetic. There are a whole set of reasons which could lie behind the decision and not all may relate to playing ability.

Exactly.

Feb 8, 2005
It is the manager's responsibility to decide whether he wants any of the youngsters to remain at the Club or not.

Regardless of OUR opinions, it is HIS decision as the wages will have to come out of HIS budget.

You can be sure that if Adams thinks any of our youngsters will make the grade then he will do all he can to help them.

Remember that as we go up the league, so does the expectation of our youngsters to be able to make the step up, and that step is getting steeper as we climb the league ladder.

Adams hasn't let us down with anyone yet, has he? There are no obvious youngsters that have left, on his watch, for better things at other clubs.

Trust in the manager!

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Simple fact is that Derek and the coaching staff know more about these players than we do. All of us.

Talent isn't everything; also let's not forget we are not the first club to release him.

The question to Derek I guess is, will he be competing for a first team place in the next 12-18 months? If it's no we cannot afford him. These guys don't play for nothing.

In the manager we trust...

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Thomas Edwards":3cxyyn07 said:
Simple fact is that Derek and the coaching staff know more about these players than we do. All of us.

Talent isn't everything; also let's not forget we are not the first club to release him.

The question to Derek I guess is, will he be competing for a first team place in the next 12-18 months? If it's no we cannot afford him. These guys don't play for nothing.

In the manager we trust...
who was the first club to release him pleas?

Aug 2, 2011
I do not know a lot about Callum Rose but I do know that he was released by Aston Villa. I am also pretty confident that Adams would not casually let go of a potential first team player without good reason. None of us know the facts and background to this so a little less " lets blame the Argyle manager and the board" would be good.

Before lashing out with the boot a little careful reflection on what you do and do not know would be both mature and sensible.

Feb 28, 2016
He wasn’t released by Aston Villa, he was 15, on trial, there was no contract to be released from. 15 year old who had his trial extended from 1 month to 8 months at a premier league club. John James was watching him at this point trying to get him to sign for Argyle, watching him at local level, Callum left Villa on the Saturday and signed with Argyle on the Tuesday.

Aug 2, 2011
Changes nothing with regard to the fact that no one on here knows the facts behind Argyke releasing him.

May 8, 2011
Presto":smeeu780 said:
Changes nothing with regard to the fact that no one on here knows the facts behind Argyke releasing him.

Mark will know what Adams said to Callum.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Can't be released because he wasn't on a contract?
He was released from his trial.

People get "released" from custody without being given a custodial sentence.

Swings and roundabouts. He wasn't good enough. He's got a chance now to make it elsewhere. If he's good enough he will.