Bye Bye Callum | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bye Bye Callum

Feb 28, 2016
Pele10":2wax37do said:
Lets fast forward the next few months, and only Fletcher will get a new contract (release May 2019) the other 4 will be gone as well over the coming months, fact.
Understand Mark Ms frustrations, but is there any point when its so predictable?
The breakthrough age is not 18/19, but 20/21.
Can understand supporters frustrations, when coach them from circa 9 years old, then don't gamble the extra 1-2 years to get them into the 1st team.
One thing no coach or manager can give these players is luck. Case example Ben Purrington. Great move for him, but got his run of games by injuries to others.
Adams rules this club, dictates where money is spent and lets be honest, if we were given the hot seat for 3 games, we'd have to win, so am guessing will not be looking at youth products.
Fact is Exeter market their players better than we do, Grimes, Watkins, Wheeler but the Ampadu upcoming tribunal scares me as with possibly 4-5 million being lobbed in their bank, and their record of investment into facilities and youth :furious:
The argument about them being a smaller club etc is poor really as we were in the same league as them last year, and about 4 weeks ago looked like we were swapping places!!
The youth cup run is a positive step in the right direction. Its nice to see the youth department getting recognition for this on match days and in the programme. Also nice to beat them recently after generally coming 2nd best over previous encounters.

A lot of very well made points there. I’m not even convinced Fletcher will get another year to be honest and if he does I can just see it going the same way as Rooney’s second year. If one is retained my money would be on it being Aaron Taylor because I think they may want to try and show there is a pathway from professional-development to a full professional, that’s if they continue with them otherwise it would be a two year 100% failure rate, to only get them as far as even as Rose and Bentley. If he is kept on he would be relying on a ridiculous amount of luck to break into the first team and get runs like Purrington got so again, like Fletcher if he is kept on a can’t see next season being particularly fruitful.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Bentley isn't as good as his brother. He won't make it.

Sep 6, 2006
MarkMatthews":174vc5cf said:
Pele10":174vc5cf said:
Lets fast forward the next few months, and only Fletcher will get a new contract (release May 2019) the other 4 will be gone as well over the coming months, fact.
Understand Mark Ms frustrations, but is there any point when its so predictable?
Can understand supporters frustrations, when coach them from circa 9 years old, then don't gamble the extra 1-2 years to get them into the 1st team.
One thing no coach or manager can give these players is luck. Case example Ben Purrington. Great move for him, but got his run of games by injuries to others.
Adams rules this club, dictates where money is spent and lets be honest, if we were given the hot seat for 3 games, we'd have to win, so am guessing will not be looking at youth products.
Fact is Exeter market their players better than we do, Grimes, Watkins, Wheeler but the Ampadu upcoming tribunal scares me as with possibly 4-5 million being lobbed in their bank, and their record of investment into facilities and youth :furious:
The argument about them being a smaller club etc is poor really as we were in the same league as them last year, and about 4 weeks ago looked like we were swapping places!!
The youth cup run is a positive step in the right direction. Its nice to see the youth department getting recognition for this on match days and in the programme. Also nice to beat them recently after generally coming 2nd best over previous encounters.

A lot of very well made points there. I’m not even convinced Fletcher will get another year to be honest and if he does I can just see it going the same way as Rooney’s second year. If one is retained my money would be on it being Aaron Taylor because I think they may want to try and show there is a pathway from professional-development to a full professional, that’s if they continue with them otherwise it would be a two year 100% failure rate, to only get them as far as even as Rose and Bentley. If he is kept on he would be relying on a ridiculous amount of luck to break into the first team and get runs like Purrington got so again, like Fletcher if he is kept on a can’t see next season being particularly fruitful.

Problem with Fletcher is he doesn't fit in to Adams one striker system.

Feb 28, 2016
Mark Pedlar":1poz8s84 said:
Bentley isn't as good as his brother. He won't make it.

I like and rate both the Bentley boys and won’t chose an horse in that race, both bring different qualities to the table and I think they actually really complimented each other well the times I’ve seen them play together and I really enjoyed watching their little battles in the game at coach road this season.

I will say though I don’t think saying Aaron is better than Jordan is the general consensus, which I neither agree or disagree with.

Feb 28, 2016
Balham_Green":e4lj7wyg said:
MarkMatthews":e4lj7wyg said:
Pele10":e4lj7wyg said:

Which is the only reason I’m not hopeful he will be offered another year. Also is one of my biggest dislikes of Adams on a management level, that he sticks to a dogmatic system regardless of his manpower, instead of adapting a system which brings out the best of the talent he has at his disposal. That criticism is also not limited to his handling of youth players.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Have you seen many first team games recently, Mark? I think you’d be pretty impressed.

And if you’re talking about Adams failing to get the best out of the available talent, he’s the manager who’s got the best out of Graham Carey, who has exploded as an attacking force while at Argyle.

Feb 28, 2016
I wasn’t there Saturday admittedly, for the record I was moved on hearing the show of support we gave Edwards and proud of the effort we made for Hartlepool (particular praise to the AFT, from an apathetic non member, supporter of the the trust.) I cant comment on the game or performance which is why I’ve not congratulated the team for a loss, or ridiculed those praising a result which on paper at least doesn’t look as positive as being made out. I will take the word of those who were there, that it was a good performance (which all credit due includes Wigan’s management and fan base.)

My personal decision was to show support and solidarity to Callum at Dorchester. To bring it back on track, great to witness him pick up the fans player of the month trophy. Belated, public congratulations to Cal for that particular achievement.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
MarkMatthews":23gvrfq1 said:
Balham_Green":23gvrfq1 said:
MarkMatthews":23gvrfq1 said:
Pele10":23gvrfq1 said:

Which is the only reason I’m not hopeful he will be offered another year. Also is one of my biggest dislikes of Adams on a management level, that he sticks to a dogmatic system regardless of his manpower, instead of adapting a system which brings out the best of the talent he has at his disposal. That criticism is also not limited to his handling of youth players.

And yet, in December, Adams changed his whole tactical mindset and formation to enable both Carey and Lameiras to fit into the team which has resulted in good attacking football and good results.

Feb 28, 2016
PL2 3DQ":3k6jgyky said:
MarkMatthews":3k6jgyky said:
Balham_Green":3k6jgyky said:
MarkMatthews":3k6jgyky said:
Pele10":3k6jgyky said:

And yet, in December, Adams changed his whole tactical mindset and formation to enable both Carey and Lameiras to fit into the team which has resulted in good attacking football and good results.

Exactly. And how long had (the then) anti Adams, (and now turned pro) section of the fan base been calling for that?! We would be in the playoffs IMO, if that had been adopted when first called for by a significant proportion of the fan base.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Of course it could be argued that the arrival of Toums and the physical presence he gave us allowed us to pick Lamires?
For Fletcher the whole football world has changed. When he started playing as young boy nearly every team played two upfront and in the last few years nearly all play just the one. Even those that are full of pace and movement (lacazette jesus firminho and the two man city boys) know how to look after themselves and have tremendous upper body strength. With just one or two exceptions all the Championship lone strikers are big guys.
The goalposts have moved for a generation of young lads wanting to make it as a forward - there will always be exceptions but nigh on 90% of centre forwards today are big strong guys and if you don't meet that criteria you will need to be exceptional to make it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Voice_of_Reason":1x3ajqz4 said:
Of course it could be argued that the arrival of Toums and the physical presence he gave us allowed us to pick Lamires?
For Fletcher the whole football world has changed. When he started playing as young boy nearly every team played two upfront and in the last few years nearly all play just the one. Even those that are full of pace and movement (lacazette jesus firminho and the two man city boys) know how to look after themselves and have tremendous upper body strength. With just one or two exceptions all the Championship lone strikers are big guys.
The goalposts have moved for a generation of young lads wanting to make it as a forward - there will always be exceptions but nigh on 90% of centre forwards today are big strong guys and if you don't meet that criteria you will need to be exceptional to make it.

Or switch to another position such as a wide player. Wingers are no longer proper wingers but strikers who don't fit the lone striker criteria and have converted into wide players.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Maybe Sheridan wasn't so stupid in trying to make Harvey a midfielder?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Harvey just didn't have an exceptional area. He was slow, his stamina was poor, he wasn't physical and he needed time to react.

Coaching and training can only take you so far.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":2st6svik said:
PL2 3DQ":2st6svik said:

Exactly. And how long had (the then) anti Adams, (and now turned pro) section of the fan base been calling for that?! We would be in the playoffs IMO, if that had been adopted when first called for by a significant proportion of the fan base.

Or the foundations had been built and confidence to play League One football was sufficient enough to be more expansive. Plus we'd been doing very well before Lameiras came into the side, and as I said before, Graham Carey has been expressing himself ever since Adams arrived.

It's such an incredibly simplistic view to just say that he should have listened to fans earlier. If he'd just adopted more attacking tactics in League 2, would we have been promoted? Would we have done so well against Liverpool?

I very much doubt it. Football tactics are like a see-saw, one push too far either way and the side becomes unbalanced. When things change as they have recently (our confidence, Toums, Lameiras finding form), you have to adjust and push it the other way a little.

Adams has done that, and it's really bizarre that people find a way to criticise it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":2ee1o6ie said:
My personal decision was to show support and solidarity to Callum at Dorchester. To bring it back on track, great to witness him pick up the fans player of the month trophy. Belated, public congratulations to Cal for that particular achievement.

Is it fair to say... and this is NOT a criticism in any way... that you have a far greater interest in the lads personally, than you do in Plymouth Argyle generally?

I'm just trying to get my head around where your views are coming from.