Chiefs at Home Park? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Chiefs at Home Park?

May 8, 2011
There would be quite a few logistical issues that would make it unlikely such as the size of the changing rooms. Speaking to a manager of a team that has used the away changing rooms he said they were a ‘bit tight’, so a rugby team with the number of players in their squad would really struggle.

Apr 4, 2015
I wouldn't be against it as long as its a one off/once or twice a season type of thing. Not only a potential money spinner for us but a chance to see some top class rugby perhaps aswell.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
London Irish played all their home games at Madjeski stadium for years and Bristol play at Ashton Gate; neither Reading nor Bristol City seem to have suffered from the experiences.
My opinion is that if the opportunity is there, subject to approval by the ground staff of course, we should take it. The Chiefs are a big team in European terms and if they can pay us to sell out Home Park it’s a win win......also a good opportunity to show off our new corporate facilities to rich potential clients.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Chiefs will almost certainly play their quarter final at Ashton Gate. It is geared for Premiership rugby and is closer to the ‘hot bed’ area of rugby fans who are notoriously non-tribal and will help fill the stadium to its capacity. Bristol Bears have attracted 23,000 for some of their games. The consideration of Home Park is all part of Tony Rome’s negotiating stance with the Ashton Gate owners.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
HC Green":8ffvak0g said:
There would be quite a few logistical issues that would make it unlikely such as the size of the changing rooms. Speaking to a manager of a team that has used the away changing rooms he said they were a ‘bit tight’, so a rugby team with the number of players in their squad would really struggle.

I thought Derek Adams was instrumental in the initial design of the changing rooms!

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Graham Clark":3vvbqli0 said:
I thought Derek Adams was instrumental in the initial design of the changing rooms!

Indeed, much was made of them being made bigger and the design improved to Mr Adams specifications.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The irony being that if a rugby team played at Home Park fans could have a beer (or alcoholic drink of choice) while sat in their seats watching the game.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I do hope they don’t leave blood capsules all over the pitch.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
The basic rule of the Champions League in Rugby, is that all home venues must be able to accommodate a minimum of 15,000 supporter from the knockout stage of the competition.
Recent history, Northampton Saints had to play their home QF/SF at the MK Dons and Ricoh - instead of 13000 at Franklin Gardens they had nigh on 30000 at both venues.
Clearly we cant offer that, but TV, fully sold corporate, plus 17000 paying over the odds for tickets, we'd be silly to turn our nose up at the possibility of earning a 6 figure sum for a days work. The club/board need to make money from i.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Argylegames":2rboliph said:
Graham Clark":2rboliph said:

Indeed, much was made of them being made bigger and the design improved to Mr Adams specifications.
I would imagine Derek thought he would be in the Home dressing room for life, and didn't care about the small away dressing room. Home advantage and all that.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
L G":160c3svu said:
I would imagine Derek thought he would be in the Home dressing room for life, and didn't care about the small away dressing room. Home advantage and all that.

From the plans, the sizes look similar, except for the area in which Argyle have two ice baths which we didn't provide for the opposition. I'm sure Jon Back said they were bigger than the FA/EFL minimum size.

Feb 8, 2005
I feel sure that we can be geared up for a rugby match, both internally and externally.
I'm not sure that we would be the choice for the Chiefs, but we could put on a show, now that the capacity has increased, especially with no separation required, and the ability to provide hospitality with luxury(!) seating.
I guess Argyle would charge for the hire of the ground, and would get profits from hospitality, foodery etc, and Chiefs would benefit from entrance money.
If offered I think we would be foolish not to accept.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
PL2 3DQ":vrxkt0j1 said:
The irony being that if a rugby team played at Home Park fans could have a beer (or alcoholic drink of choice) while sat in their seats watching the game.

I'll have a pint of irony!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Argylegames":3k7def40 said:
From the plans, the sizes look similar, except for the area in which Argyle have two ice baths which we didn't provide for the opposition. I'm sure Jon Back said they were bigger than the FA/EFL minimum size.
With regards to the size of the changing rooms (and the standard of the floodlights), the FA/EFL minimum requirements are set quite low to accommodate teams coming in to the Football League, such as Forest Green and Salford City for example where there is still a non-League feel to their grounds.

For a club that aspires to return to the Championship, I would like to think Argyle would aspire to more than just meeting the minimum requirements. Like many others, including Ryan Lowe, I was slightly disappointed and surprised with the size of the new changing rooms and I don’t think there is much scope for expansion in the current location either. I wasn’t expecting Premier League standards and dimensions but I was expecting something slightly more roomy.

Despite the excellent corporate facilities in the re-developed Grandstand, the small changing rooms might be the factor that prevents HP from hosting Premiership Rugby. Ashton Gate might hold more, but they probably wouldn’t fill the stadium if they hosted Exeter Chiefs as I doubt many Bristol, Bath and Gloucester fans would buy tickets.

However, with its closer proximity to Cornwall, I think HP would sell out.