Cooper's future at Peterborough in doubt | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cooper's future at Peterborough in doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
tandark":25hnhzyk said:
IF Cooper returns, he won't be playing LWB imo.

That's the issue. At LWB he was great going forward and provided assist after assist but he struggled with the defensive side of the game, the opposition worked it out and exploited the huge hole Cooper left and poor old Gary Sawyer was often left with two players to contend with or the central defensive midfielder was pulled out of position to cover. And that was in League Two!

So where would Cooper play? Mayor is nailed on to start, Camera will probably play in Sarcevic's position and Edwards or Macleod will play deeper.
The other option is because of the amount of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday games coming up the squad is beefed up and Cooper is able to cover several positions while not being first choice, unless Lowe does take a chance and play him at LWB.
A good problem to have.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2sw9qe3s said:
tandark":2sw9qe3s said:
IF Cooper returns, he won't be playing LWB imo.

That's the issue. At LWB he was great going forward and provided assist after assist but he struggled with the defensive side of the game, the opposition worked it out and exploited the huge hole Cooper left and poor old Gary Sawyer was often left with two players to contend with or the central defensive midfielder was pulled out of position to cover. And that was in League Two!

So where would Cooper play? Mayor is nailed on to start, Camera will probably play in Sarcevic's position and Edwards or Macleod will play deeper.
The other option is because of the amount of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday games coming up the squad is beefed up and Cooper is able to cover several positions while not being first choice, unless Lowe does take a chance and play him at LWB.
A good problem to have.

If George Cooper isn’t good enough to make our XI in his natural position we should not be spending a penny on him, in my opinion. Lowe appears to have closed the door on it, and our signings/trialists since would suggest as much. Time to move on.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think Cooper's natural position is as a winger except most teams don't play with wingers so he's shoehorned into a number 10 (which we don't play in our formation) or as a wing-back.

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
German Shepherd":1bqi2k6k said:
You missed out the part where he can herd his sheep through Peterborough Cathedral. :thumbup:
I've got a couple of nice Jacobs in my paddock he could borrow. Guaranteed to be of good behaviour! Cathedrals a speciality!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Garland_Greene":ep75lesf said:
Transfer rumour thread seem to think that Jephcott could be part of a deal for Cooper.
Never mind about herding sheep through Peterborough high street - now THAT is insane. :crazy:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
When he joined us last season I assumed that he would play in the right-sided attacking midfield position. Mayor is right footed but plays on the left, cutting inside to shoot or pass on his right foot and using the overlapping wing back to put in crosses from the left (mostly). As a left-footer, Cooper should be able to do exactly the same on the right. And then both players could switch to play on their 'correct' side and/or pop-up there to provide an overload down that flank. In similar fashion, I always thought that many of Graham Carey's most influential games came when he played on the right. So, although we pretty much always saw Cooper on the left last season, I think that was because Sarcevic played unexpectedly well, forcing Lowe to use Cooper on the left (also filling in for the injured McFadzean) rather than in the natural position that the 3-5-2 formation provides for him, mirroring Mayor.

Jul 29, 2012
cheshiregreen":3w5bkk44 said:
Someone will probably have more knowledge than me about this, but, I think. EFL announced that existing contracts are capped at the divisional average.

So, just for illustration, if Danny was on £3k a week but the divisional average was £2.3k then we have some leeway.

Hard to know what the League 1 average may be given clubs like Sunderland probably paying players over the odds, but, others Accrington and Rochdale may be paying a lot less than Argyle have offered Camara or McLeod.

The divisional average wage is £114k a year roughly ( £2.5 divided by 22 ( the maximum number of players you can have in your squad aged 21 or more ) ) . The £114k includes everything paid to a player or players representative ( eg signing on fee, agents fees , bonuses) . If a player signed on or before 7 August then their salary for the purpose of the regs is the lower of their package or the divisional average . That will be the case for the duration of their contract . So if Danny Mayor package is £3k a week then it will be capped at the divisional average . For any signed afterwards it will be their actual package .

Players aged under 21 ( I'm not sure at what date) don't count for the purpose of the salary cap or the squad numbers , so clubs can have as many as they like and pay them what they like , even if they are being paid £10k a week . It makes no difference . For Argyle , this will include Jephcott and Cooper .

Looking at Argyle's squad , currently we have I think 15 players aged 21 or over , all bar 1 of whom signed on or before 7 August . For those 14 players , their total counting packages is capped at £1, 596,000 , leaving £904k to be spent on up to 8 players( obviously we've signed one already , so up to 7 left ) . RL says he wants to sign another 3 players -or is it 4 - so even if they are under 21 ( in which case they don't count) he should have some money to play with . If you send a player out on loan , that then reduces your outlay , vice versa if you bring one in ( unless they are under 21) .

Selling Jephcott and bringing in Cooper has a double whammy because you lose a player whose salary doesn't count towards the cap and gain one whose salary does count . Plus you can't spend any fee gained on the squad .
-

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Cooper played the full 90 v Derby in Posh's sixth friendly of the pre season, in the No 10 role.

Hardly the treatment of a man on the way out.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
pafcprogs":2wzenafz said:
Cooper played the full 90 v Derby in Posh's sixth friendly of the pre season, in the No 10 role.

Hardly the treatment of a man on the way out.

Maybe but it is a friendly and the Manager is looking at things. Wasn't there always a question mark here about George starting and playing a full 90 minutes?

For instance, a couple of years ago, would we need to play GC10 in every minute of a friendly or would we go with a more 'fringe' player or trialist to see if they could hack the GC10 deputy role if needed? :think:

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Or as RL says its about getting minutes in legs ....

I liked Cooper last year and there is no doubt he could add assists and goals to any L1 team

I just wonder with who we have signed and on trial if that moment has passed.

Never say never but I doubt Posh are getting him fit for anyone but themselves....

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Barry Fry said on Sky Sports this morning that only one player will be sold in this window (if he can be believed). That player would probably be Toney.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
JannerinCardiff":2bu5vj9e said:
George Cooper back on?? I’d certainly not feel stable or wanted at Peterborough right now if I were George.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... in-2947134

It does seem safe to assume three things:

1) Peterborough would like to of Cooper on
3) Argyle would like to sign Cooper
3) Cooper would like to join Argyle

So really it is just all about who foots the bill - Peterborough, Argyle or Cooper himself (and his agent). It must be a fascinating three-way negotiation if it is happening. And then perhaps there are other clubs involved or waiting in the wings. It is certainly in Peterborough’s interest to try to drum up interest (hence him being played and his name mentioned as a player who may leave).

How much do Peterborough want the money?
How much do Argyle want the player?
How much does the player want to leave/join Argyle?

Throw into this the fact that with the new financial restrictions on squad earnings there maybe different fixed thresholds that Peterborough cannot go under and Argyle cannot go over, and if that is the case then it really comes down to Cooper and his agent and the amounts that he/they are willing to receive.

Tick tock.

Status
Not open for further replies.