Coventry Vs Man Utd | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Coventry Vs Man Utd

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don’t see how ETH can survive at Utd. As a non Utd fan, I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt from a neutral POV, you see a good performance and you start to think that it might click, then they’re just horrendous the week after, that’s understandable early on, but we’re approaching the end of his 2nd season now and we’re no closer to seeing how he actually wants his team to play, which is bizzare considering his Ajax team had such a clear identity. The only point of mitigation is that there’s a real lack of leaders in that Utd dressing room, as evidenced by the fact that their skipper (Fernandes) is a chronic diver and a whinge merchant.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think my biggest issue is that we are making decisions that are possibly as narrow as millimetres. I dont think ive ever seen proof to display VAR as 100% accurate. Take this offside, the incident is about 25-30 yards from goal, the camera on the 18 yard box. So angles create a level of uncertainty. The white lines painted at all top grounds are not 100% perfectly straight, so there will always be a small degree of uncertainty.
So if we have degrees of uncertainty (I've seen straighter MPs than some lines drawn this season by Stockleigh Park) should there not be a level of tolerance?

If VAR had never come into existence, every commentator or pundit would have said they were level and benefit of the doubt to the attacking team - something that no manager, player or supporter wanted changed - did they?

Well said, it's getting to the point where we need another version of VAR to police VAR.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Daz, with respect you are so obviously biased because its your favourite team.

VAR is supposed to be if it was a clear and obvious error, like when a Goalkeeper goes for a ball he has no chance of reaching, misses the ball and takes out 2 forwards in the process.

As an aside, Mark Robins is widely credited with saving Alec Ferguson's job after an FA Cup match many years ago, I'm not sure if that really was the case.

However, if his team hadn't been so unjustly robbed this afternoon, he might well have cost the current Manchester United Manager his job. With nothing left to play for, ETH might not even have seen the season out.

He's still a dead man walking.
I drove 4 hours yesterday and 4 today to follow my favourite team Dave.

Cry me a river about Coventry being robbed. They weren’t very understanding when we were actually robbed at their place.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I think my biggest issue is that we are making decisions that are possibly as narrow as millimetres. I dont think ive ever seen proof to display VAR as 100% accurate. Take this offside, the incident is about 25-30 yards from goal, the camera on the 18 yard box. So angles create a level of uncertainty. The white lines painted at all top grounds are not 100% perfectly straight, so there will always be a small degree of uncertainty.
So if we have degrees of uncertainty (I've seen straighter MPs than some lines drawn this season by Stockleigh Park) should there not be a level of tolerance?

If VAR had never come into existence, every commentator or pundit would have said they were level and benefit of the doubt to the attacking team - something that no manager, player or supporter wanted changed - did they?
It’s also inconsistent with when they draw the lines on whether the player making the pass has actually kicked it and it’s left his foot or if it’s still touching it.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It’s like a ball over the line on goal line technology mate. It’s either over the line or not. Lino would have flagged if there was no VAR I reckon.
The linesman, sorry assistant referee, was definitely offside. You can tell by the position of his foot.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005

Cry me a river about Coventry being robbed. They weren’t very understanding when we were actually robbed at their place.
Just a gentle wind up, but I think you know that.

I think Coventry were hard done by today but as you say, they were happy to be on the other side of a poor decision to get the win against us that seemed to kick-start their season.

What we wouldn't give for that lost point now, not to mention the 2 points we lost due to their equaliser at HP which came after the allotted time added on had been played.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
What if the offside rule was changed to there being a visible gap between attacker and defender's torso. Rather than there being a toe mail length between their feet.

Sep 6, 2006

So what were Cov supposed to do when they 'robbed us'? That decision today is a massive travesty of justice. Robbed us all of the greatest ever semi final comeback. Well done VAR.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
So what were Cov supposed to do when they 'robbed us'? That decision today is a massive travesty of justice. Robbed us all of the greatest ever semi final comeback. Well done VAR.
I didn’t say they should do anything did I? They just didn’t care.

A travesty of justice is when something is wrong, if he was given offside when he wasn’t that would be a travesty. He looked more offside without the lines to me.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
What if the offside rule was changed to there being a visible gap between attacker and defender's torso. Rather than there being a toe mail length between their feet.
Since this VAR nonsense started I've started to think that the offside rule should simply be based on position of feet.
In the 100 m sprint, the runners dip their bodies to gain an advantage over their opponent.
If in football, the attacker is level by foot with the defender and part of their upper body happens to be ahead of the defender then, I say, fair play to the striker.
Its FOOTball.. You get penalised for using your hand to control the ball because you aren't meant to be touching the ball with your hand... So how can you be offside by virtue of your hand which you can't actually use in the sport anyway?!

As for the use of VAR in the Everton Forest game... Just unbelievable. I have no particular love of Nottingham Forest but I agree with Neco Williams.. All 3 incidents are blatant penalties and a top 6 team would be awarded all of them.

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
VAR created the possibility of the greatest ever come back by allowing a penalty decision in added time. Clearly should not have been awarded.

Agree that VAR is hopeless and just adds to controversy (see Everton v Forest game).

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Since this VAR nonsense started I've started to think that the offside rule should simply be based on position of feet.
In the 100 m sprint, the runners dip their bodies to gain an advantage over their opponent.
If in football, the attacker is level by foot with the defender and part of their upper body happens to be ahead of the defender then, I say, fair play to the striker.
Its FOOTball.. You get penalised for using your hand to control the ball because you aren't meant to be touching the ball with your hand... So how can you be offside by virtue of your hand which you can't actually use in the sport anyway?!

As for the use of VAR in the Everton Forest game... Just unbelievable. I have no particular love of Nottingham Forest but I agree with Neco Williams.. All 3 incidents are blatant penalties and a top 6 team would be awarded all of them.
You can’t be offside or kept onside by your hand.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
You can’t be offside or kept onside by your hand.
Ok yeah not by your hand... But:

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
Its the 'any part of the head or body' bit I don't like... So someone's arse can be marginally ahead of the defender, their kneecap or their fringe, and they're offside.
It should be purely on foot position in my opinion, and, to return to an earlier point, if VAR is going to be used for premier league teams in the FA CUP then it HAS to be used for EVERY fixture from preliminary round 1 through to the final..or not at all... Otherwise it just blatantly looks like protection for the big clubs.
That goal would NEVER have been disallowed pre VAR and United would never have gone on to win on penalties largely because their goalkeeper stood in front of a Coventry player screaming at him until he was booked. It just wasn't sport at all yesterday.