Crystal palace n milwall want BWP!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Crystal palace n milwall want BWP!!

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
P.L.I.H":5opd5qgw said:
To get out of this league the club need a 20+ striker. It doesnt matter how good our defence is, if we dont have a calibre of stiker that can bang in 20 + then were stuck here for a while...

I believe BWP to be this striker. He has found his level and is starting to hit a rich vein of form, which is just reward for settling down and working hard, after the troubles he had at Southampton.

For me, no matter how much money we get for him, to sell him now, would be a nail in the coffin. We let the only other genuine 20 goal striker in Mackie go, so if we were to be tempted by £££, then we could kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion, this season or next...

Even with BWP I wouldn't bet my house on getting out of this league this season, not upwardly bound anyway. If we were fortunate, maybe the lottery of the playoffs.

However, receiving a transfer fee and freeing up those wages soonish might equally help stave off administration. I'm more concerned we do whatever we need to survive as a club this season than hopeful, and unwarranted imho, thoughts about promotion. Probably what we should have been thinking during the past two or three seasons.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
CarolinaGreen":264ngcsi said:
P.L.I.H":264ngcsi said:
To get out of this league the club need a 20+ striker. It doesnt matter how good our defence is, if we dont have a calibre of stiker that can bang in 20 + then were stuck here for a while...

I believe BWP to be this striker. He has found his level and is starting to hit a rich vein of form, which is just reward for settling down and working hard, after the troubles he had at Southampton.

For me, no matter how much money we get for him, to sell him now, would be a nail in the coffin. We let the only other genuine 20 goal striker in Mackie go, so if we were to be tempted by £££, then we could kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion, this season or next...

Even with BWP I wouldn't bet my house on getting out of this league this season, not upwardly bound anyway. If we were fortunate, maybe the lottery of the playoffs.

However, receiving a transfer fee and freeing up those wages soonish might equally help stave off administration. I'm more concerned we do whatever we need to survive as a club this season than hopeful, and unwarranted imho, thoughts about promotion. Probably what we should have been thinking during the past two or three seasons.

:iagree:

Jun 1, 2004
Perth, WA
CarolinaGreen":aa0xarnv said:

Without him, the goals come from where? Without his contribution so far, we would be in a far worse off position than we are now.

Then the threat of relegation and administration would be much much greater than it is now. League 2 football, 4-5k crowds, sponsors leaving us, players not wanting to touch us with a barge pole, and FIFA not wanting to have a World Cup host stadium from that of a League 2 side...

I would rather to look upwards, than sell our most profitable asset for £300k which would only be swallowed up by interest and back payments

Aug 20, 2009
pilgrim_pete":20q24pge said:
BWP will sign a new contract here. I'm almost certain.

Unless someone comes in with absolutely silly money of course.

I'm certain you'll be proved wrong on both counts PP

May 20, 2006
WHERE EVER I AM
ffarquhar42":2d55ylf0 said:
pilgrim_pete":2d55ylf0 said:

Depends what you call silly money really, 500k wouldn't tempt me at the moment, got to be at least a mil in this day and age, else what's the point, we may as well give him away if all we want to do is free up wages and if that's the case I could bloody run this football club better.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
P.L.I.H":36qobuh4 said:
CarolinaGreen":36qobuh4 said:

Without him, the goals come from where? Without his contribution so far, we would be in a far worse off position than we are now.

Then the threat of relegation and administration would be much much greater than it is now. League 2 football, 4-5k crowds, sponsors leaving us, players not wanting to touch us with a barge pole, and FIFA not wanting to have a World Cup host stadium from that of a League 2 side...

I would rather to look upwards, than sell our most profitable asset for £300k which would only be swallowed up by interest and back payments

Lets say he wasn't playing in those games where he did score. Are you ruling out the possibility that whoever might have been there in his place wouldn't have put the ball in the net? He's not Brian sent from above you know, just a naughty boy.

G

Greenskin

CarolinaGreen":3a8xgym5 said:
P.L.I.H":3a8xgym5 said:
CarolinaGreen":3a8xgym5 said:

Lets say he wasn't playing in those games where he did score. Are you ruling out the possibility that whoever might have been there in his place wouldn't have put the ball in the net? He's not Brian sent from above you know, just a naughty boy.

Not impossible,but very unlikely that the current strikers on the books would have matched BWP's tally since he came back into the team.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
sharkbait":3hgefcog said:
ffarquhar42":3hgefcog said:
pilgrim_pete":3hgefcog said:

Depends what you call silly money really, 500k wouldn't tempt me at the moment, got to be at least a mil in this day and age, else what's the point, we may as well give him away if all we want to do is free up wages and if that's the case I could bloody run this football club better.

Someone also said manchester city were still entitled to a sell on fee if he is sold
not sure if true or how much but if he is sold doubt we would be paying a fee for anyone
if he is sold in jan I shall pack in until next season as it will signal to me the board are more worried about the banks then building a football team
and im only interested in the sport not the buisness side of football

R

Rob_of_the_Greens

CarolinaGreen":1fuckzhr said:
P.L.I.H":1fuckzhr said:

I'm with the Carolinian on this one. It's pretty spurious to say a) we need BWP in order to go up, and; b) that we will go up with him.

Honestly, for the first time ever, I don't give ten tiny tosses about promotion. I'd stay in this league for forty years if it meant my club survived. We are in the poo, folks. And if someone offers a couple of hundred grand for someone on potloads of money who has been good for two months, then I'd take it.

You can say that 'we'd get more than that if we went up', but we don't know that he goals wouldn't dry up or that he turns his ankle getting out of bed and never plays again.

The end of the season is crucial. Let's see where the season takes us. I now look at staying up as a success. Then we can clear the decks and cut our cloth accordingly.

If you suggested that it was short sighted to sell, for example, Akos or Chuck, then I'd hear you out. I wouldn't necessarily agree, but I'd hear you out. But when we are haemorrhaging money and the 'a' word looms round every corner, sorry, but the 'in' column takes precedence.

Strikers come and go, ebb and flow. Plymouth Argyle is forever.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Emu":2ssa02g7 said:
P.L.I.H":2ssa02g7 said:
Rush Goalie":2ssa02g7 said:
'20 goal striker Mackie' - another Pasoti myth?

No an objective opinion....

And based on the fact that he already has 8 in the league for QPR this season, I cant see why this couldnt have been achievable at Argyle.
Albeit you will throw the argument, that 'He is playing with better players at QPR' but the potential was there. With the right coaching and service like he is getting at QPR, I have no doubt Mackie could of bagged 20 + for us

Would that be the same Mackie that has failed to score in his last 8 games? Six for QPR and 2 for Scotland? Ah yes, that's the one...

....ah, I see then, 8 goals in 13 (+2) games is a strike rate of about 1 every 1.6 games (or about 1 in 2 if the internationals are included)...so that might well equate to 28ish (or 23) goals????????????!!!!!!!!!! approx, roughly, in the region of.

Or, to put it another way, with 46 league games to play in a season, assuming he's only allowed to score one goal in a game, that would mean he would have 27 games where he did not score AT ALL to NOT be a 20 goal a season man.

8 in 13 - a good start, I think. Come on Jamie.

Aug 22, 2006
stewthenoo":1k2skann said:
Emu":1k2skann said:
P.L.I.H":1k2skann said:
Rush Goalie":1k2skann said:
'20 goal striker Mackie' - another Pasoti myth?

No an objective opinion....

And based on the fact that he already has 8 in the league for QPR this season, I cant see why this couldnt have been achievable at Argyle.
Albeit you will throw the argument, that 'He is playing with better players at QPR' but the potential was there. With the right coaching and service like he is getting at QPR, I have no doubt Mackie could of bagged 20 + for us

Would that be the same Mackie that has failed to score in his last 8 games? Six for QPR and 2 for Scotland? Ah yes, that's the one...

....ah, I see then, 8 goals in 13 (+2) games is a strike rate of about 1 every 1.6 games (or about 1 in 2 if the internationals are included)...so that might well equate to 28ish (or 23) goals????????????!!!!!!!!!! approx, roughly, in the region of.

Or, to put it another way, with 46 league games to play in a season, assuming he's only allowed to score one goal in a game, that would mean he would have 27 games where he did not score AT ALL to NOT be a 20 goal a season man.

8 in 13 - a good start, I think. Come on Jamie.

Come on Jamie??
He doesn't play for us anymore, so not too fussed and to be honest he didn't score nowhere near enough goals when he was with us. The lack of "creativity argument" can't stand up fully - Gallagher had no problems the season before and BWP's goal ratio in the championship was far better. Surely that's why he went for a measely fee to qpr, otherwise Warnock ripped us off. So which is it to be?
Don't get me wrong, I wish him well, he gave it his all when he was here but nothing to do with us now, and i'm sure he isn't all that bothered with our current predicement.

Feb 29, 2008
Roll up, roll up, get yer strikers here, all must go, half price strikers, roll up roll up!
What a ferkin joke.

G

Greenskin

argyleiggy":1wc6ypi7 said:
Roll up, roll up, get yer strikers here, all must go, half price strikers, roll up roll up!
What a ferkin joke.

Hey,you've changed your tune a bit,haven't you ? Don't remember you [and a few others now expressing similar views] expressing such strong opinions about the sale of players in the past,when our financial situation was better than it is currently,what with the extra gate and TV money coming in.Delighted to see it though,Argyle have paid very dearly in the past for selling at inopportune moments and i thoroughly agree that every effort must be made to keep BWP until the end of the season at least and hopefully longer.We don't want to suffer another crippling relegation through false economy,the last three years have been bad enough.