Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Biggs":1fzkxcfe said:
oldage":1fzkxcfe said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

The whole point of data analytics is to identify less-than-obvious signings overlooked by other clubs. There'd be no advantage to it, if it just brought up players we'd choose as fans.

This is exactly the sort of signing I'd expect using those methods.

I think there are a lot of people who seem a bit befuddled by data analysis. They should watch the movie ‘Moneyball’ to understand it’s value, it’s a movie about baseball sure but it’s easily translatable to any sport.

Oct 31, 2015
Welcome Dan.

The last signing from Walsall worked out very well

Let's give him a chance before making assessments off the back of the Walsall fans.

We havnt had decent CBs since Sonny so we are due a change. DAs recruitment and RLs persistence ruined our defensive unit and we all know we need to be solid at the back to move on Coughlin and Wotton were no nonsense CBs and that worked out well.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
JannerinCardiff":1ojljodi said:
From the statistics Dan Scarr appears an uncompromising defender, dominant in the air, strong in the tackle and not afraid to throw himself into the cause judging by his high ranked blocked shots stats.

I would hope that he would play in the middle of a back 3 with better ball playing centre backs either side of him.

Good signing in my opinion. Welcome to Plymouth Dan… :thumbup:

Yep, exactly.

James Wilson doesn't sound like one of those ball-playing defenders, but we've only signed two players so far when we need to rebuild the whole defence. Scarr could be Wilson's understudy, or vice-versa.

I'd like a Zak Vyner/Curtis Nelson type next :greensmile:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He was hoping to get Scarr in January ‘but he would have cost money’.
Another interesting comment. ‘He asked for a goal scoring bonus’.
I’m sure that Mike Cooper is happy with the signing of Wilson and Scarr with, potentially, another on the way.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I think we can see already that first and foremost, Lowe is focusing on getting in defensive brawn and knowhow. If being more streetwise and putting it in row Z, when it absolutely needs to go into row Z, rather than trying to walk it through the opposition from the centre of our own penalty area, means we concede 25 fewer goals next season, I will be delighted, so will my Cardiologist, and it probably means we would be in and around the play offs, if it goes as well in the other half as it did last season.
Also, Joe Edwards played with Scarr for a year so he will have told RL and company all about him. Lowe got it wrong last year by bringing in inexperienced U23 centre backs, and not replacing Canavan and Wootton, neither of whom were good enough the first time round in League 1. I would like to think he has learned from his mistakes.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think the 3rd CB may be the ball player and a few versatile defensive covers.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
RKB":1jx3utk1 said:
I think we can see already that first and foremost, Lowe is focusing on getting in defensive brawn and knowhow. If being more streetwise and putting it in row Z, when it absolutely needs to go into row Z, rather than trying to walk it through the opposition from the centre of our own penalty area, means we concede 25 fewer goals next season, I will be delighted, so will my Cardiologist, and it probably means we would be in and around the play offs, if it goes as well in the other half as it did last season.
Also, Joe Edwards played with Scarr for a year so he will have told RL and company all about him. Lowe got it wrong last year by bringing in inexperienced U23 centre backs, and not replacing Canavan and Wootton, neither of whom were good enough the first time round in League 1. I would like to think he has learned from his mistakes.

Well said. Totally agree.

Nov 2, 2004
Tugboat":2o5flwie said:
I think the 3rd CB may be the ball player and a few versatile defensive covers.

We need more centre backs than that, we started last season with 5. Welcome Mr Scar great name for a centre back.

Mar 14, 2009
There is nothing wrong with using data. I just hope we use it with a combination of scouting with the eyes.

As l said on another thread Mustafi had better data than Van Dijk a couple of years ago. It can be misleading.

However, every player functions differently in a team and every player responds differently to a manager.

You have to give players time. You have to give people a chance.

Welcome to the club Dan :thumbs:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
oldage":1v0s29yu said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

I'll ask you again then, name some players of the kind you think we should (and could) be signing... Who would you find inspiring? Who would make you think 'great, we don't need God's help'?

(And by the way - NO-ONE has indicated that the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back. That is entirely your supposition)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Welcome aboard the good ship Mayflower.

It's good the defence is being built on permanent experienced players rather than young loanees.

I mentioned on the rumour thread ... Last season we were the second worst side in League One for winning aerial duels during matches while in League Two Scarr was one of the best for winning aerial duels. So our scoring from a set-piece ratio should improve.

Mar 23, 2008
Welcome Pilgrim. An open mind needed, many have signed with top billing and not worked out, some more low key have been a great success.

C

Cult Of Personality

26 good age for a player because he just about to come into his peak. I will ignore Walsall fans views because i remember what fans said on Sonny Bradley and he turned out to be a good player. I will judge him on my own eyes

Oct 24, 2010
I wouldn't take too much notice of the Walsall fan's forum, if he was continually hitting long balls into the channels that would have been on the instruction of his then manager. Given Ryan Lowe's footballing ethos it is inconceivable he would sign a centre back who was incapable of playing out from the back. Looks a good signing of the type of defender we need.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
davie nine":3ly23i7w said:
He was hoping to get Scarr in January ‘but he would have cost money’.
Another interesting comment. ‘He asked for a goal scoring bonus’.
I’m sure that Mike Cooper is happy with the signing of Wilson and Scarr with, potentially, another on the way.

Although reports suggested we made an offer for Donacien at Ipswich in January. Wonder why we weren't prepared to offer a fee for Scarr then?