Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal)

Jun 27, 2019
cheshiregreen":3c0c4b85 said:
davie nine":3c0c4b85 said:
He was hoping to get Scarr in January ‘but he would have cost money’.
Another interesting comment. ‘He asked for a goal scoring bonus’.
I’m sure that Mike Cooper is happy with the signing of Wilson and Scarr with, potentially, another on the way.

Although reports suggested we made an offer for Donacien at Ipswich in January. Wonder why we weren't prepared to offer a fee for Scarr then?

Possibly because Walsall didn't have an option on Scarr to extend - unlike Donacien - so we knew we could get him for free in the summer.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
For all those who might think we’ve signed a dud in Dan Scarr, how good was Graham Coughlan at passing ???

But boy he could defend and was a constant threat on free kicks and corners ..

Oct 10, 2012
I’d rather our defenders were good at defending rather than passing after the shower we witnessed last season.

Dec 3, 2005
I just love the way that SOME on here consider a signing not to be up to the standard they expect of Argyle.

Crying out loud give the signings a chance, stop pre-judging every signing.

Welcome to Argyle Dan Scarr - great name for a defender.

Aug 5, 2016
WoodsyGreen":2nkq4e06 said:
cheshiregreen":2nkq4e06 said:
davie nine":2nkq4e06 said:
He was hoping to get Scarr in January ‘but he would have cost money’.
Another interesting comment. ‘He asked for a goal scoring bonus’.
I’m sure that Mike Cooper is happy with the signing of Wilson and Scarr with, potentially, another on the way.

Although reports suggested we made an offer for Donacien at Ipswich in January. Wonder why we weren't prepared to offer a fee for Scarr then?

Possibly because Walsall didn't have an option on Scarr to extend - unlike Donacien - so we knew we could get him for free in the summer.

Ipswich were trying to offload/loan out Donacien - Walsall were playing Scarr every week, wanting to keep hold of him and give him a new contract. An important distinction which affects their transfer values.

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs":1t42mz9b said:
oldage":1t42mz9b said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

The whole point of data analytics is to identify less-than-obvious signings overlooked by other clubs. There'd be no advantage to it, if it just brought up players we'd choose as fans.

This is exactly the sort of signing I'd expect using those methods.
But by Lowe's own admittance the lad hasn't played in a back three before so how would any available data help in that regard.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
JannerinCardiff":av7lhbf0 said:
From the statistics Dan Scarr appears a powerful uncompromising defender, dominant in the air, good tackler and not afraid to throw himself into the cause judging by his high ranked blocked shots stats.

A defender who really knows the art of defending looking at the numbers.

I would hope that he would play in the middle of a back 3 with better ball playing centre backs either side of him, as the middle CB really shouldn’t need to be someone to bring the ball forward, rather give a simple ball to someone who can do this job better.

Good signing in my opinion. Welcome to Plymouth Dan… :thumbup:
I’m not sure how much you can rely on Wikipedia but, according to that, James Wilson is no 5 and Dan Scarr is no 6.

Jul 12, 2016
Adam":14qn4bh5 said:
oldage":14qn4bh5 said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

I seem to remember we signed some guy called....erm, Mariner was it? From a much lower league! Whatever happened to him?!
I am not aware that we relied on data analysis when we signed Mariner. In any case this is a defender who will be asked to play in an unfamiliar role.Let's hope the gamble pays off.As with most of Lowe's signings they are either underwhelming or over hyped.

Jun 27, 2019
JannerinCardiff":d76mobya said:
For all those who might think we’ve signed a dud in Dan Scarr, how good was Graham Coughlan at passing ???

But boy he could defend and was a constant threat on free kicks and corners ..

The big difference there was that Coughlan didn't play in a side that was expected to play out from the back.

Jul 14, 2008
oldage":262tgsln said:
Adam":262tgsln said:
oldage":262tgsln said:

I seem to remember we signed some guy called....erm, Mariner was it? From a much lower league! Whatever happened to him?!
I am not aware that we relied on data analysis when we signed Mariner. In any case this is a defender who will be asked to play in an unfamiliar role.Let's hope the gamble pays off.As with most of Lowe's signings they are either underwhelming or over hyped.
The club don’t ‘rely’ on data at all. They use it to draw up a list of players, and they then use traditional methods, such as considering the players character etc, to identify the top targets. The data hasn’t said ‘Scarr is the top target who must be signed’.

I remember seeing a stat recently which identified that Argyle were one of the worst teams in the league for winning headers and tackles. So why not use data to draw up a list of defenders who have good stats for those areas? It just makes sense.

Jul 28, 2020
Well done Ryan Lowe :thumbs:

I like this one.

Similar in many ways to the sonny signing. While I don’t want to curse Scarr with this comparison, but if you look at the FIFA ratings ( if you believe in those ) then those similarities appear to be more than merely superficial.

Looking forward to seeing Dan in action. :scarf:

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Another brick s*****house which we have all been crying out for - i hope we will not be considered the soft touch team next season

why some people choose to be negative about a:new signing before a competitive game has been played is beyond me

i take what their previous clubs fans say with a piece of salt

RL clearly knows what he needs so we have to trust his judgement

Will Dan be the Sonny MK 2 that we have so desperately craved- only time will tell :think: