Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
“I’m good in the air, that’s one of my better attributes. I think I can mix it up quite well, I can play on the floor, use both feet, and I’m good in both boxes.”

Who said this today?

1) Matt Hancock.

2) Dan Scarr.

So the Walsall fans were obviously watching Matt Hancock? :think:

Welcome Dan.

Dan Scarr, Dan Scarr can you hit Row Z? All along down along out along lee?? ;)

B

Bonehead

This post just about summarises and highlights all that is wrong with Pasoti . People with supposedly superior football knowledge and in the know ….blah blah blah . Give the lad a chance ffs. If he turns out to be poo then criticism might be appropriate. If he proves to be a good player then praise accordingly. TBH I’ve never known such a self opinionated bunch on any footie website .

How’s that for an opinion?

Jul 12, 2016
Herts_Green":xi0jffe3 said:
oldage":xi0jffe3 said:
Adam":xi0jffe3 said:
oldage":xi0jffe3 said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

I seem to remember we signed some guy called....erm, Mariner was it? From a much lower league! Whatever happened to him?!
I am not aware that we relied on data analysis when we signed Mariner. In any case this is a defender who will be asked to play in an unfamiliar role.Let's hope the gamble pays off.As with most of Lowe's signings they are either underwhelming or over hyped.
The club don’t ‘rely’ on data at all. They use it to draw up a list of players, and they then use traditional methods, such as considering the players character etc, to identify the top targets. The data hasn’t said ‘Scarr is the top target who must be signed’.

I remember seeing a stat recently which identified that Argyle were one of the worst teams in the league for winning headers and tackles. So why not use data to draw up a list of defenders who have good stats for those areas? It just makes sense.
They do rely on data to source players. My point is why not sign a defender who already knows how to play in a back three. He may be good at winning headers but that was playing as part of a back four.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Welcome onboard Dan - I can’t wait to see you play in green. Ignore the negative comments (if you find yourself looking at PASOTI of course). All the best and congratulations on picking the best football club ever - in my opinion of course :clap:

Jul 12, 2016
plymouth1970":3rbcysy6 said:
This post just about summarises and highlights all that is wrong with Pasoti . People with supposedly superior football knowledge and in the know ….blah blah blah . Give the lad sa chance ffs. If he turns out to be sh1te then criticism might be appropriate. If he proves to be a good player then praise accordingly. TBH I’ve never known such a self opinionated bunch on any footie website .

We are all entitled to an opinion which may well change as the season progresses.It gives us something to discuss during the close season.You are not forced to read any posts.

Feb 8, 2005
oldage":3pgb9d20 said:
Herts_Green":3pgb9d20 said:
Adam":3pgb9d20 said:
So the data analysis has thrown up Scarr as the best available centre back? I hope to be proved wrong but a player from a struggling division two side is hardly inspiring.If he's the standard we are looking at to strengthen our team god help us!

I seem to remember we signed some guy called....erm, Mariner was it? From a much lower league! Whatever happened to him?!
I am not aware that we relied on data analysis when we signed Mariner. In any case this is a defender who will be asked to play in an unfamiliar role.Let's hope the gamble pays off.As with most of Lowe's signings they are either underwhelming or over hyped.
The club don’t ‘rely’ on data at all. They use it to draw up a list of players, and they then use traditional methods, such as considering the players character etc, to identify the top targets. The data hasn’t said ‘Scarr is the top target who must be signed’.

I remember seeing a stat recently which identified that Argyle were one of the worst teams in the league for winning headers and tackles. So why not use data to draw up a list of defenders who have good stats for those areas? It just makes sense.
They do rely on data to source players. My point is why not sign a defender who already knows how to play in a back three. He may be good at winning headers but that was playing as part of a back four.

What is the difference in winning headers as a back four, as opposed to a back three then, Oldage?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oldage":fnive3yl said:
Herts_Green":fnive3yl said:
Adam":fnive3yl said:

If one of a player’s strengths is winning heading duels, I don’t see the difference between playing 3 or 4 at the back.
Certainly, in defending or attacking set pieces, the formation is almost irrelevant.
With a back 3, if it is played well, there should always be wing backs or defensive midfielders to cover depending on who is further forward and the players know their roles in the team.
For well over a year, many of us ‘armchair experts’ have been complaining that RL has not been recruiting experienced defenders who were good in the air and strong in the tackle. I have called it RL’s ‘blind spot’.
He has now addressed this perceived problem and he deserves the opportunity to demonstrate that they, along with other signings and those already here, can play in the system he prefers.

B

Bonehead

davie nine":5t00sdsi said:
oldage":5t00sdsi said:
Herts_Green":5t00sdsi said:
Adam":5t00sdsi said:

If one of a player’s strengths is winning heading duels, I don’t see the difference between playing 3 or 4 at the back.
Certainly, in defending or attacking set pieces, the formation is almost irrelevant.
With a back 3, if it is played well, there should always be wing backs or defensive midfielders to cover depending on who is further forward and the players know their roles in the team.
For well over a year, many of us ‘armchair experts’ have been complaining that RL has not been recruiting experienced defenders who were good in the air and strong in the tackle. I have called it RL’s ‘blind spot’.
He has now addressed this perceived problem and he deserves the opportunity to demonstrate that they, along with other signings and those already here, can play in the system he prefers.

SPOT ON

Feb 22, 2008
Herts
djg145":2ktxe4jj said:
I just love the way that SOME on here consider a signing not to be up to the standard they expect of Argyle.

Crying out loud give the signings a chance, stop pre-judging every signing.

Welcome to Argyle Dan Scarr - great name for a defender.

Well said djg :thumbup:

Let’s try and hold back negative comments until at least the new signings have had some game time in an Argyle shirt before writing them off……

I like the look of Scarr as he hopefully gives us something positive at the other end from set pieces and corners which we were all crying out for last season.

Welcome to Argyle Dan :scarf:

COYG

Jul 6, 2005
If Dan Scar can dominate aerially in both boxes he will be a good signing. Anything else will be a bonus, but I'm sure he will be capable of winning the ball and giving it to another green shirt.

A dominant CB will help Cooper no end and perhaps he will chip in with a few goals from set pieces at the other end.

I hope that along with Wilson and perhaps A.N. Other, we will have the experience, organisation and leadership at the back that was so obviously missing last season.

I would like to think that Lowe is going with a flat back 4 with a sitting midfielder(s) just in front to play our way up the pitch. But however he sets us up, we certainly cannot concede another 80 goals next season, particularly so many from basic defensive mistakes.

Mar 14, 2009
demportdave":2wt85q1z said:
If Dan Scar can dominate aerially in both boxes he will be a good signing. Anything else will be a bonus, but I'm sure he will be capable of winning the ball and giving it to another green shirt.

A dominant CB will help Cooper no end and perhaps he will chip in with a few goals from set pieces at the other end.

I hope that along with Wilson and perhaps A.N. Other, we will have the experience, organisation and leadership at the back that was so obviously missing last season.

I would like to think that Lowe is going with a flat back 4 with a sitting midfielder(s) just in front to play our way up the pitch. But however he sets us up, we certainly cannot concede another 80 goals next season, particularly so many from basic defensive mistakes.

I think he is going for same formation. He already talked in a previous article about wing backs. And a no4. I have no idea how G Cooper gets in this team unless it’s at LWB which won’t suit him.

Back four or even a 3ATB with only one forward helps him accommodate what he has. If he goes with 3-1-4-2 l really fear for us.

I’m intrigued what the game plan is. Scarr and Wilson have been mentioned as defenders who aren’t great with ball at their feet. Aimson was a good defender in a back four. Just not great with ball at his feet. Curious to see where method this takes us.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":3rsypypr said:
plymouth1970":3rsypypr said:
This post just about summarises and highlights all that is wrong with Pasoti . People with supposedly superior football knowledge and in the know ….blah blah blah . Give the lad sa chance ffs. If he turns out to be sh1te then criticism might be appropriate. If he proves to be a good player then praise accordingly. TBH I’ve never known such a self opinionated bunch on any footie website .

We are all entitled to an opinion which may well change as the season progresses.It gives us something to discuss during the close season.You are not forced to read any posts.

Yeah, Plymouth1970. You’re not forced to read any posts. You could always flounce off like……Oldage.

Jesus, imagine being on the coach with him.

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":2atkxwqq said:
oldage":2atkxwqq said:
plymouth1970":2atkxwqq said:

Yeah, Plymouth1970. You’re not forced to read any posts. You could always flounce off like……Oldage.

Jesus, imagine being on the coach with him.
Trolling again. All you're fit for.

Aug 22, 2020
Let’s face it, any professional footballer can pass a ball 15-20 yards a centre half he doesn’t need to be frank lampard

Rowlypilgrim

Jam First
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 13, 2021
Have to be open minded and not pre judge all the time. Many so called lower league players thrive, develop and blossom given a new challenge and mixing with players used to playing at a higher level. Welcome Dan, get stuck in!