Danny Mayor to stay | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor to stay

Apr 1, 2008
Saltash
Great news, Has great skill and creativity, enjoyed watching him drive forward with the ball at his feet. Causes opposition defenders all sorts of problems, a real team player. Will take League 1 in his stride, looks well capable of playing at a higher level.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
demportdave":1y5aj3ym said:
tawtongreen":1y5aj3ym said:
Hopefully DM signing up will be a positive influence upon some of the others.....believe that we were/are on the way up(certainly challenge) if we can progress again. He was regularly hacked out of the game in L2. more space & time, paired with the right person & he could set L1 alight.
Could also be that it also persuades others that RL targets to join up!
In RL we trust....seems we were here 12 months ago & over the intervening period he & his team did well overall.

COYGs for 20/21.....
He will be less well known in League 1, which should help. After his success with Bury, he really was a marked man at League 2 level, literally.

I remember up at Port Vale back in early September, their Right Back took him out right across the knees, absolutely nowhere near the ball and obviously pre-meditated. That sort of thing happened in a number of other games as well. Lowe complained to Referees about it on a number of occasions but I don’t think he got much joy.

A typical journeyman lower-League clogger prepared to take a chance on a 15-year old boy Referee only giving him a yellow card at worst after only 5 minutes when it should have been a Red, as it clearly constituted serious foul play. Poor old Mayor could only limp along for the rest of the first half and was a bit of a passenger, the obvious intention of the challenge. Yet another Referee who no doubt knows every letter of the law but has never played the game at adult level and so hasn’t got a clue about what is actually going on in those sort of situations.
I didn’t see the Port Vale game, Dave but I do recall the Cheltenham game at Home Park.
It was clear that they came with a cynical strategy to kick Danny Mayor out of the game and the referee, Scott Oldham, let them get away with it by only showing 3 yellow cards.
I have just checked the BBC Sport statistics and it confirms that Cheltenham conceded 17 fouls against 3 by Argyle.
I suppose it could be considered ‘sour grapes’ because Cheltenham won 2-0 but I believe that they could have had 2 players sent off in the first half hour.

Oct 31, 2015
Heard this news yesterday from a good source but kept quiet.

Brilliant news all round. :scarf:

May 12, 2020
Balham_Green":j6qr0apb said:
Frixx":j6qr0apb said:
Am pleased he's signed however this season he really needs to step up his game as if he plays like last season he'll be lost up in L1.....it may well be that L1 suits him better of course

"Plays like last season' :facepalm: Unbelievable

That's your opinion but not mine. The vast majority will admit that Danny Mayor didn't last season set the team alight as we all predicted when he initially signed. He was very hit and miss. As I stated L1 may well suit him better.
Scoring one goal last season makes further words superfluous

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Frixx":1tx6jbgb said:
Balham_Green":1tx6jbgb said:
Frixx":1tx6jbgb said:
Am pleased he's signed however this season he really needs to step up his game as if he plays like last season he'll be lost up in L1.....it may well be that L1 suits him better of course

That's your opinion but not mine. The vast majority will admit that Danny Mayor didn't last season set the team alight as we all predicted when he initially signed. He was very hit and miss. As I stated L1 may well suit him better.

How many assists for a player who didnt take a high percentage of corners or free-kicks?

May 12, 2020
Mark Pedlar":2l7dk67d said:
Frixx":2l7dk67d said:
Balham_Green":2l7dk67d said:
Frixx":2l7dk67d said:

How many assists for a player who didnt take a high percentage of corners or free-kicks?

You're moving the goalposts so I will do likewise. How many supporters pre season would have been happy in the knowledge that Mayor was only to score one goal in the entire season. None is the answer.

Now Mayor may well surprise me and do exceedingly well in L1 but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Lets see what happens

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Frixx":g9b7w2f0 said:
Mark Pedlar":g9b7w2f0 said:
Balham_Green":g9b7w2f0 said:

You're moving the goalposts so I will do likewise. How many supporters pre season would have been happy in the knowledge that Mayor was only to score one goal in the entire season. None is the answer.

Now Mayor may well surprise me and do exceedingly well in L1 but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Lets see what happens
Goals scored seems to be the most important thing that matters in your book for a midfielder, therefore here are some names of midfielders that have scored more than once in a season for Argyle in League 2:

Luke Daley
Ashley Hemnmigs
Rommy Boco
Olly Lee

So the above were all better than Mayor...?

I agree that he didn't "look" as good as maybe expected last season, but that for me was because:

a) as others have said, teams double marked him and desperately tried to get him on the periphery of games rather than being the centerpiece of them

b) Ryan Lowe's ill-advised comments saying that he's "better than Carey and Lameiras". He isn't - he's a very good player but we'll have very few players as good as those two until we get back to the Championship again.

Jun 27, 2019
Danny Mayor is a quality footballer and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the game as well as they think they do.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I remember the Port Vale match well. Their players seemed to take it in turns to hack him down. The ref gave him zero protection & that knee high tackle was a red card any day.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
We'll never know but would be interesting to see how effective Cooper would have been without Mayor in the team. He obviously occupied more than one opposition player creating space for others. I always think that Carey was more effective when Lamieras was on his game as opposition managers didn't know who to double mark.

Granted Mayor didn't scored the goals we had expected, the YouTube clips of the prior season showed him banging in goals from everywhere a la Carey and then Lowe's comments made us think we had a like for like replacement. Lowe also came out mid-season saying Mayor is afraid to shoot (didn't look like that at Bury) so maybe the goals will start to come soon.

But what those Bury clips also showed was his ability to create chances - not always directly but so often he would set McFadzean up on the overlap or inverted run to cross for someone else to score. His timing of a pass etc are immaculate. Obviously no proof but i think he will thrive in L1 - i just hope we can get some players in on his wavelength.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Happy with this and also the fact that RL won't be messing around with players on the retained list. They're either in for next season or they're out. Hoping Sarce signs up quickly.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Frixx":3g9g2nqh said:
Balham_Green":3g9g2nqh said:
Frixx":3g9g2nqh said:

The 'vast majority' think such and such? How would you know that and how can you speak for the 'vast majority'??

You don't and you can't.

As others have said, a quality footballer, I'd rather have him in our tent spraying the ball out than ... :oops:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pogleswoody":1l11czhq said:
Frixx":1l11czhq said:
Balham_Green":1l11czhq said:
Frixx":1l11czhq said:

The 'vast majority' think such and such? How would you know that and how can you speak for the 'vast majority'??

You don't and you can't.

As others have said, a quality footballer, I'd rather have him in our tent spraying the ball out than ... :oops:
Someone will dig out the stats to show how many chances he created, successful passes made, successful dribbles etc. - all season he was at or close to the top of the league on these objective measures ........ he was a massive part of the promotion and it's fantastic news he's staying. Getting a player of this quality signed up will also act as bait for others. Great news.