Derek Adams at Senior Greens | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams at Senior Greens

Mar 14, 2009
Ave_IT":18lclaw3 said:
I got the charts from experimental361.com Lesley ...... a treasure trove for stat nerds ;)
https://experimental361.com/2019/03/19/ ... -mar-2019/

I’m not completely disagreeing with you Mickey. You do have a point about our striker frequently being isolated, us not getting bodies in the box, our lack of pace and mobility all over the park, and DA’s instinctive shut-up-shop mentality when we get a lead or even equalise against a good side. But it’s not THAT bad ….. if there was a scale of attack mindedness from 0 to 10 with Tony Pulis’s Argyle reign at one end and Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle at the other I’d put Adams at about 5. But what’s done for us this season is the defence. Attacking has been pretty average as the stats show – if you take out the top 7 our goals scored is much of a muchness with the rest of the league …… Coventry in 8th place have scored one more than us and Blackpool in 9th place three less – but we have conceded 22 and 26 goals more!!

I like Foxy, and Sarcevic and Songo and Sawyer as individual players - each with something to offer but together in the same team they haven’t got the legs or mobility to get forward to support and get bodies in the box. When they do we’re exposed horribly as they can’t get back. We can blame Adams for selection & recruitment – he has made mistakes no doubt. But I’d argue what you’re calling his negative attitude is more a reaction to what he’s got. He does play Lameiras & Carey regularly and he has on occasions tried Taylor and Ladapo. If he got the recruitment right I think he would have more of a go……. Oh for box-to-box man like David Friio in his pomp !!!!

I hated Pulis’s style of football. Yet it was effective. Got us results. And let’s be honest, we talk about budget. Well compared to the other teams in the championship we did well to even survive and lm afraid that was the best we could hope for.

I don’t believe for one minute this style of football is the best we can hope for in league one. We don’t have a great budget, but the gap between us and other teams is nothing like it was in the championship.

I agree with you about Fox. I also like Ness. Songo’o lm afraid is a player who isn’t good enough at league one level. However, because he is 100 % effort and commitment he looks more useful than l believe he really is to us. Also our defending is so bad he actually his work rate and attitude put some of our other players to shame. He is my player of the season. Yet that doesn’t say a lot l feel apart from how poor the rest of our squad must be.

Like l said just look at Gillingham. Look at what they did at half time at 0-1 down. Then look at Adams against Barnsley at 0-3 at halftime. Sure the game was effectively over but he didnt even try to change things until it was way too late.

Or look at the Bristol Rovers game. 2-1 up. He puts Jones in midfield. He looked completely lost. I don’t see how you think that isn’t a manager with a negative mindset to be fair.

I do agree with many of the other points you make though.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
oldage":3u7grlnm said:
IJN":3u7grlnm said:
My thoughts on football have always been the same.

It's a very very simple game, but some people like to complicate it.

For once I agree with you Ian!

We got castigated for saying that the other week!

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
I must say I'm enjoying and learning a lot from this informed and reasonable discussion. It's refreshing when people with different viewpoints can have this kind of debate without name calling or personal insult. We are all without doubt passionate about Argyle and want the club to do well at whatever level we compete.

I have thought for some time that an addition to the coaching staff would help - and be more cost-effective than, say, signing a player we then don't make use of like Paul Anderson. Although maybe he will figure in the last two games? I don't know what he has to offer or what his style of play is but if Ladapo is injured and given Taylor's lack of form on Monday, maybe that's what DA has in mind. Any thoughts?

Mar 14, 2009
So l talked to my Dad who was there yesterday.

He said how articulate Adams came across. Spoke very well. In his opinion though he wasn’t challenged over the Q&A and so he had a fairly easy ride.

He also said that Adams doesn’t feel Ladapo, Lameiras or Carey are likely to be here next season whichever league we are in.

He said about tomorrow game there he won’t start with flair players as they will tire too quick on the Accrington pitch. Think he will look to bring them off the bench. He also stated that a particular player (he did name him but l won’t in case it gets frowned upon) had a training injury and was ruled out for tomorrow.

May 1, 2011
JannerinCardiff":18d6a3mk said:
Bristol Rich":18d6a3mk said:
JannerinCardiff":18d6a3mk said:
Bristol Rich":18d6a3mk said:
And still totally unfounded. The Chairmans of every league club will not divulge how much money they made available to their managers for transfers or wages so let's stop quoting it as fact, it's Adams covering himself.

Didn’t someone say the data is circulated at the end of a season - you just hear what you want to hear. We get it you want Adams to go. Some of us just want to hear information.. without spin from you.

When 'information' is supplied you have to question it. You want Adams to stay, we get that as well. So your spin is just as prevalent, it's just arguing a different viewpoint.

I’ve only ever relied on facts not spin. I’ve just stated that Derek Adams has a good record as a manager, and I believe given the chance he will progress us as a club given his past record.You may not like to hear that DA has a good CV, but I deal with facts not arguing something like Adams can’t know other clubs budgets when he said all clubs know budgets after the season ends - I’d imagine the EFL need this info. to test financial fair play.

Having an opinion is one thing and I fully respect people have different points of view especially regarding our manager given the circumstances, but to spin things as much as you’ve done to validate your view frankly just makes you look silly.

My point is we don't know the individual chairman's intentions when dealing with their manager's requests for transfers fees or wages. Published figures do not tell you that.

It is also a fact that we signed 6 defenders last summer and not one of them played last Monday. It's hard to spin it any other way then Adams has largely (but not completely) wasted whatever budget he had this season.

He had 25 pros on the books in August and he was quoted as saying he wants 2 players for every position. That's hard to tally up with a relegation dogfight.

You think he has a good CV? That's a fair argument. Let's hope he doesn't put a huge dent in it in a week's time.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think the best scenario would/could have been negotiated between the board as Adams already.

Something like x amount of compensation I we stay up this season or a lot less if we go down. Either way his time is up.

Sep 6, 2006
Ave_IT":1s25l089 said:
BoscombeGreen":1s25l089 said:
oldage":1s25l089 said:
But my question is still not being answered.What did those who attended learn or get information about regarding the terrible season Adams has overseen?
On the other point would we have done better this season without Carey and Lameiras. Playing 'flair' midfielders could be his biggest mistake thisi season and I can't see many other managers at this level doing it.
So Adams himself says our main problem is that only 3 players have contributed significantly to our goal tally this season …… and the answer is to drop two of them?? :doh:

Yes Ive heard it all now. Lets drop our 2 best players! :facepalm:

Sep 6, 2006
JannerinCardiff":12mfo62c said:
Bristol Rich":12mfo62c said:
JannerinCardiff":12mfo62c said:
Bristol Rich":12mfo62c said:
And still totally unfounded. The Chairmans of every league club will not divulge how much money they made available to their managers for transfers or wages so let's stop quoting it as fact, it's Adams covering himself.

Didn’t someone say the data is circulated at the end of a season - you just hear what you want to hear. We get it you want Adams to go. Some of us just want to hear information.. without spin from you.

When 'information' is supplied you have to question it. You want Adams to stay, we get that as well. So your spin is just as prevalent, it's just arguing a different viewpoint.

I’ve only ever relied on facts not spin. I’ve just stated that Derek Adams has a good record as a manager, and I believe given the chance he will progress us as a club given his past record.You may not like to hear that DA has a good CV, but I deal with facts not arguing something like Adams can’t know other clubs budgets when he said all clubs know budgets after the season ends - I’d imagine the EFL need this info. to test financial fair play.

Having an opinion is one thing and I fully respect people have different points of view especially regarding our manager given the circumstances, but to spin things as much as you’ve done to validate your view frankly just makes you look silly.

But you wanted him out earlier in the season.... ; :oops:

Aug 5, 2016
Adam_R":1q7t82ki said:
Don't get to watch often but was evident against Gillingham that Carey and Lameiras work well together but that means they are often within 10 yards of each other. Easy to defend or crowd out by doubling up or simply forcing them towards the touch line.

What we lack is players to take advantage of the space they create. Those two are a class above and sadly no-one else is on their wavelength or able to take advantage of the situations they create.

Gillingham as in Gillingham away just gone? Carey was awful and did absolutely nothing. He got tackled in possession daydreaming at least five times.

Aug 5, 2016
Bristol Rich":12yeqq9m said:
He span you a yarn, you lapped it up and ad you said it kept you pro Adams. How does he even know the budget of other clubs for players?

How do you think the Premier League and EFL monitor Financial Fair Play?

Aug 5, 2005
Knibbsworth":zwgfl84c said:
Bristol Rich":zwgfl84c said:
He span you a yarn, you lapped it up and ad you said it kept you pro Adams. How does he even know the budget of other clubs for players?

How do you think the Premier League and EFL monitor Financial Fair Play?

The FFP data is confidential and not released to anyone, especially not other clubs.

However, managers are well aware how much other clubs are bidding and the wages players are being offered

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1o7tn4cz said:
Adam_R":1o7tn4cz said:
Don't get to watch often but was evident against Gillingham that Carey and Lameiras work well together but that means they are often within 10 yards of each other. Easy to defend or crowd out by doubling up or simply forcing them towards the touch line.

What we lack is players to take advantage of the space they create. Those two are a class above and sadly no-one else is on their wavelength or able to take advantage of the situations they create.

Gillingham as in Gillingham away just gone? Carey was awful and did absolutely nothing. He got tackled in possession daydreaming at least five times.
:shifty:

"Absolutely nothing'? Guess you turned up after we scored then....?

Dec 15, 2012
I live in Bristol, and I’m currently not senior, so unable to attend.

It is indeed a positive in such a big week that he would take time out to talk to supporters.

My concern and what I would have loved to ask, is why are we consistently having utterly horrific runs of form, and occasional remarkable runs of positive results?

What is driving these periods of such difference?

My personal preference is for a change at the seasons end, regardless of which division we are in, which I fear may be the basement.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":3w34fxag said:
Knibbsworth":3w34fxag said:
Adam_R":3w34fxag said:

:shifty:

"Absolutely nothing'? Guess you turned up after we scored then....?

Could have sworn it was Ladapo.