Devon Derby Match Thread | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Devon Derby Match Thread

May 1, 2011
TonyD":6vi363k9 said:
TruroTerry":6vi363k9 said:
TonyD":6vi363k9 said:
Current League position does not dictate 125+ years of history

We are No.1 team in Devon

Over the last 50 years ;

14 seasons in the second tier

14 seasons in the fourth tier

22 seasons in the third tier

Our new level is a mid table League One side.

And compare those same 50 years with Exeter's league history and ...

Oh yeah Argyle still Devon's No.1 club

Has Exeter ever finished a league season above Argyle ?

Yes they have. We lost 1 nil under Peter Reid and we were all but confirmed as relegated at SJP. They famously played We'll meet again on the tannoy to taunt us. Another thoroughly depressing away trip to SJP.

They were in league 1 and we were in league 2 under Tisdale.

During Kevin Hodges' reign as Argyle manager they also finished above us in 1 season.

Dec 21, 2015
So twice in 110 years

Not sure am worried they replaced us as no.1 team in Devon based on those stats

May 1, 2011
TonyD":2epvvtql said:
So twice in 110 years

Not sure am worried they replaced us as no.1 team in Devon based on those stats

You asked for facts, you were provided with them, a little bit like the 2nd goal on Saturday.

Exeter aren't as bigger club as Argyle or as well supported but currently we are in no position to laud it over them or assume superiority. It's that sort of attitude that played into their hands on Saturday.

Dec 21, 2015
I didn't dispute your fact

Just put it into context

Twice in 110 years

The main fact there is that in 110 years Argyle have finished above Exeter in 108 seasons

That's why we are the no.1 team in Devon

And also as you quote rightly point out

Exeter aren't as bigger club as Argyle or as well supported.

Just because we lost one game doesn't mean we should now run and hide - we stand proud with our history and we will go again and put right some wrongs but be under no illusions 1 win doesn't make them
The no.1 team in Devon a season is a long time and nothing is ever won in October

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Not being funny, but whatā€™s such a big deal about being the biggest club in Devon for Godā€™s sake? If we were able to say the biggest club in the south west that MIGHT be something worth bragging about. As it is, we canā€™t say that and the likes of Bristol City are showing us how a big city club should be run and supported, in a city with two clubs.

Dec 21, 2015
Bristol has double the population

However compare similar population and you could ask why are Bristol city not as good as either Manchester team ?

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I don`t particularly care who is the best team in Devon this season, I don`t rate Exeter as above any other team as rivals, I just want us to be the best team in League Two and progress to where we really should be.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
TonyD":3pygl0n6 said:
Bristol has double the population

However compare similar population and you could ask why are Bristol city not as good as either Manchester team ?

I think making the comparison between Bristol and Manchester is just a tad tenuous. Bearing in mind Greater Manchester has a population of almost 3million.

I think the comparison between Plymouth and Bristol is realistic. The city of Bristol is bigger, but Plymouth has the huge population of Cornwall to draw from without a football league side in it. Realistically Plymouth should be able to support a premiership side with decent crowds. Iā€™ve decided itā€™s not going to happen in my lifetime, having followed Argyle since 1974/5. Mind you, itā€™s getting on for 20 years since Wednesday 'graced' the top flight with their presence. Iā€™m thinking the Owls will get there before Argyle ever do, but you never know!