European Super League | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

European Super League

D

Darren Stoneman

As a Tottenham boy I am disgusted by the action of the American owners and 94% of Spurs fans feel the same way, this is all about money and will be used to clear the stadium debt

Poor day for football

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
It's so utterly laughable as well when you consider that Sunderland have won the English league as many times as Man City and it reaches full blown farce when you consider that Huddersfield have won the league more times than Spurs (who last won it 60 flipping years ago)!
Why aren't these clubs being invited to the party instead? No answer required, question posed to expose the abhorrent greed and cynicism behind the whole endeavour.
The hyper capitalism of football has led it to this juncture but also exposes the lie of rampant capitalism...that lie that says unfettered capitalism promotes and encourages competition... clearly the wish to eliminate all competition is driving these 12 owners to form a cabal that excludes anyone else entering on merit.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
up_the_line":2ojq76yd said:
The hyper capitalism of football has led it to this juncture but also exposes the lie of rampant capitalism...that lie that says unfettered capitalism promotes and encourages competition... clearly the wish to eliminate all competition is driving these 12 owners to form a cabal that excludes anyone else entering on merit.

Eh? Capitalism is all about the few owning and controlling the resources (capital) for their own profit rather than the many (via the state) doing so. It’s certainly not about fostering fair competition. The action of the rebel six doesn’t ‘expose the lie’, it conforms with and confirms the truth. It’s in line with pretty much everything else that is going on in this country at the moment... and so it should come as no surprise I guess.

Sep 2, 2008
I'm fully alongside everyone that thinks this is completely the wrong decision but I cant help thinking that football in the UK has brought this upon themselves. They are quite happy taking the American dollar and the Russian rouble when its under their terms but once the owners make a business decision that they don't agree with then all hell breaks loose.

We should adopt the German model when it comes to club ownership; if we did then we wouldn't be in this position.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Wasn't the new format of the CL a partial closed shop anyway?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The Doctor":v7i7up4t said:
up_the_line":v7i7up4t said:

Eh? Capitalism is all about the few owning and controlling the resources (capital) for their own profit rather than the many (via the state) doing so. It’s certainly not about fostering fair competition. The action of the rebel six doesn’t ‘expose the lie’, it conforms with and confirms the truth. It’s in line with pretty much everything else that is going on in this country at the moment... and so it should come as no surprise I guess.

Which is why I said that it's the 'lie' that capitalism uses.... capitalism says that everyone is free to compete...when actually it is those few who control the resources will do anything to shut out anyone else and eliminate any competition (in this case by eradicating the possibility of relegation).

In the long run I think these clubs have shot themselves in the foot big time.
If this league goes ahead as planned, the novelty value will have worn off for global audiences within a relatively brief period.
Especially so when they see the reality...that a club in say 3rd position downward in that league...no chance of winning the tournament and no prospect of relegation, will simply lie down and have their bellies tickled if they have to play the potential champions.
There will be many many meaningless dead rubber games. The fact that it's Juventus v Spurs won't pull in an audience if it's the 15th iteration of the fixture in the last few years and has literally nothing riding on it.

They will also, forevermore, be the dirty dozen. Despised by fans of every other club in their domestic leagues should they deign to compete in them.

May 16, 2016
It's the novelty factor wearing off that will prove to be the weak link in this. At least with the Champions League / Europa, the participants are there on merit. A CL place being a target in the Premier League standings. I rarely watch the CL anymore as it bores the pants off me, so this wouldn't even get me picking up the remote.

It runs the risk of becoming a very expensive version of the Papa Johns Trophy, especially as Clubs moan about playing in the CL and the PL in the same week, if it were to be a regular occurrence and the players start to feel it, how long before one is sacrificed for the other.

Nov 11, 2020
No better time for all local fans to follow their local team ! I know you could be local to those top teams. Top football is boring me, and many fans I speak to. What with VAR, cheating and the ridiculous money. Come along to Home Park, show these greedy f......!!

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
There have been protests outside Elland Road with the vitriol aimed towards the Liverpool coach. This will happen every week now.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
In full, the L9 guideline reads: Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:

L.9.1 - The UEFA Champions League;

L.9.2 - The UEFA Europa League;

L.9.3 - The FA Cup;

L.9.4 - The FA Community Shield;

L.9.5 - The Football League Cup; or

L.9.6 - Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.

Extract from Premier League Rules.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Pottypilgrim":z14svdu9 said:
We should adopt the German model when it comes to club ownership; if we did then we wouldn't be in this position.

If we had the Germain scheme then Argyle would no longer exist! If we had needed to get fans money to save us when James Brent did we would have folded and be somewhere in the SW leagues right now having had two seasons wiped out by Covid.