European Super League | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

European Super League

Jun 24, 2008
I am and have always classed myself as a Argyle and Liverpool fan. In that order, I don't particularly care about why anyones thoughts on this is. I have been a Argyle season ticket holder since my teens, I had no father figure in my life and grew up with what i knew, Liverpool on TV. I loved football as a kid, I loved the history and style and attached myself to Liverpool, these things you cannot explain..I didn't get introduced to supporting Liverpool nor Argyle. I refuse to apologise for that or pretend that I can only support one club.

A family friend took me to a 0-0 draw to Northampton town for my first taste of Argyle in the Nationwide League one sunny weekend when I was just a little boy. It felt different, I fell in love with Plymouth Argyle and grew my own conscience of supporting my local team and being part of the community of Argyle. There is nothing better, I live and die Argyle but my attachment to Liverpool has never left. I have been to Anfield, watch there games and there are memories there.

This news has filled me with anger, regardless of if this actually happens, I am HURT. One club I love is killing the other club I love. I will not condone this...I will not follow Liverpool, I will not give them my time, money or passion.I love football and this destroys all that we know and love. It's disgusting.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Apparently Rangers and Celtic would consider an invitation to join the bandwagon. Not really surprising when their own League is about as one-sided as it gets, if you get my drift. I’d imagine they’d absolutely jump at the chance. :sigh:

Jan 27, 2012
People in the media have been saying that there will be a financial impact on clubs lower down the football league pyramid. However, surely the main impact would be that players wages are lower, which is probably not a bad thing (especially as Guy Branston said the better players in League One are earning £10-15k per week).

Personally, I think this European Super League will become very boring. There will no doubt be novelty interest to begin with, but much of the excitement in football is about beating traditional rivals and watching promotion and relegation. I question whether the fans will really be that interested in the new league and, if that’s the case, will they be willing to pay for it?

I would love the Super League to happen and for it to fail. These ‘big six’ clubs have slowly become more detached from fans like me for years. This might bring things to a conclusion and lead to a ‘re-set’ of football in this country. If fans are not engaged with the elite clubs maybe they will turn their attention to real clubs- especially if promotion to top flight football in England becomes more realistic again.

So in a perverse way, I am all for this Super League happening. It could end up being good for Argyle and good for English football.

And when these elite clubs are begging to be readmitted into the League in a few years time they can start in non-league just like any other club would have to do.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
We need a "Fans United" action plan to convince the fans of the (very so called) Big 6 to not renew their season tickets. Let the Chinese buy them.

When, for example, Spurs play Real Madrid in Shanghai or Los Angles in a few years time at some wacky time of the day, hopefully these current supporters will be watching Leyton Orient or Wimbledon instead - real football.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
PL2 3DQ":1nns2xz9 said:
At least the 'Big Six' (Arsenal lol) have got used to playing in empty stadiums because surely no fans will take part in this.
They will be full sadly of football tourists from all over the world and be even more souless.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
The despicable greed machine that has tried to stream roller & bully has well & truly sunk to the lowest of the low

If the greed six get there way how many of the players in those teams will want to jump ship of fear of the sanctions imposed - no chance of playing for country again, no chance of playing in domestic or european cup competitions again

Or will these players just sign up & chase the money because that is what it is all about

Sky sports news are all over this at the moment - how much do you bet if this becomes a reality they will want a piece of the rather big pie & will flog it for all its worth

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":ddq5prx1 said:
If these six clubs are banned from the Premier League the future TV money won't be as good which will affect lower league teams who receive solidarity payments etc from the PL.

For the 2019/2020 season Argyle received a total of £1.17 million from the Premier League, this is an annual payment and doesn't include the recent Covid rescue payments.

So can lower league teams like Argyle operate with much lower payments from the PL?

Ironically I feel as if Argyle are actually relatively (I stress the word relatively, because it's still awful) well-insulated, as we've been building ourselves up to be as self-sustainable as possible.

I'd be terrified for clubs like Bournemouth, and probably the whole Championship, with owners who have bet the farm with money they haven't got, on reaching the cash-drenched Premier League. We may miss out on £1.17 million, but they are spending the best part of £100m to get to the PL.

That pot of gold is suddenly no longer there because the big clubs have left, and those owners and that investment will fall away quicker than Keith Todd up the A38 after England lost the World Cup bid.

Aug 17, 2005
First stop the teams playing in domestic leagues

Second use Brexit within the eu and uk in that when matches are held within the relevant countries the players are working so make ut hard for them to play

Players cannot represent there country because they are not within the respective football associations.

Apprenticeships of young players are also not recognised within the countries respective associations. This will ensure parents think twice before allowing their children sign up for them and the likes of West ham and Everton will take the place of them as top dogs

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":3qm073mf said:
PL2 3DQ":3qm073mf said:
At least the 'Big Six' (Arsenal lol) have got used to playing in empty stadiums because surely no fans will take part in this.
They will be full sadly of football tourists from all over the world and be even more souless.
Yep - I'd imagine that United and Liverpool especially will still sell out easily, whilst Man City will probably get smaller crowds given that their success only started 10 years ago. Still, clubs have said before that they could easily function without fans (even before covid) so it won't be an issue for them.

May 8, 2011
I wonder what broadcaster they have sold the broadcast rights to as that is how it will be funded. Perhaps Sky, BT and other broadcasters could issue a statement stating their opposition or support for the new venture.
Also the KO times of matches would be an indication of what TV audience they are after.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Gotta say I’m not that bothered. The fact that Mourinho has had something like £90 million quid in pay offs after getting sacked from various clubs tells me elite football is divorced from reality anyway. The likes of Sky and EPL talking about greed is laughable. Also Dion Dublin saying football is a working mans game! Up to the eighties maybe, since then I have nothing in common with an average premier league footballer, who has?

Maybe a few of the plastics will realise that they will be better off supporting their local team? Then again :problem:

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":14qzwtxp said:
I wonder what broadcaster they have sold the broadcast rights to as that is how it will be funded. Perhaps Sky, BT and other broadcasters could issue a statement stating their opposition or support for the new venture.
Also the KO times of matches would be an indication of what TV audience they are after.
This is doing the rounds:

A report in Italy’s respected sports newspaper Corriere dello Sport today claimed that sports streaming service DAZN, which is owned by billionaire Len Blavatnik’s Access Industries, has been working on the formation of the league. The Italian paper claimed the streamer is willing to pay $3.5BN for the TV rights to the European SuperLeague if it goes ahead.

However, DAZN deny it.

Jun 11, 2006
Dan Ellard":iwmm46hv said:
jerryatricjanner":iwmm46hv said:
PL2 3DQ":iwmm46hv said:
Yep - I'd imagine that United and Liverpool especially will still sell out easily, whilst Man City will probably get smaller crowds given that their success only started 10 years ago. Still, clubs have said before that they could easily function without fans (even before covid) so it won't be an issue for them.
I feel this is a very salient point in the context of what could very well be the future in that football crowds throughout the leagues will never be able to return to pre-pandemic level of attendance. These "clubs" have used the covid created empty fan-less stadia to not only justify, but verify on a financial level, that they can still make their billions within a global franchise, and not give a monkeys about any league pyramid in any home country.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I agree with all the above posts and find this concept disgusting, BUT...

as an Argyle fan of nearly 60 years, the dream was always to reach the 'promised land' and compete against the so-called big 6, especially them. No disrespect to West Ham, Everton, Villa, Burnley, etc, but that would be a watered-down version, wouldn't it? In my view it would all become fairly pointless. I'm sure Ian Holloway will come up with a suitable analogy at some point!!

Also, what happens to players who want to return to 'less important' teams, due to lack of game time, injury, old age, or whatever? If they are banned from competing in the usual competitions, then their careers will be even shorter (and they need every penny obviously).

A lot to understand with this yet and, as well as feeling extremely annoyed with the suggestion, it leaves me feeling numb for fans of 'the likes of Argyle', as it MAY never be the same again.