Fans Forum | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fans Forum

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
oldage":lqetg9we said:
Utter codswallop. Real football fans will watch GOOD football regardless of the surroundings.Yes I was brought up in the times that jerryatricjanner refers to but far better than the namby pamby society we live in now. I was one of the 38000 jammed into Home Park to see Everton in the cup when football was entertaining and the state of the facilities did not detract one iota from the game.

But the facilities were good for THAT time. Now we need facilities that are good for THIS time.

Sep 6, 2006
metroace":1xbzbelc said:
oldage":1xbzbelc said:
Utter codswallop. Real football fans will watch GOOD football regardless of the surroundings.Yes I was brought up in the times that jerryatricjanner refers to but far better than the namby pamby society we live in now. I was one of the 38000 jammed into Home Park to see Everton in the cup when football was entertaining and the state of the facilities did not detract one iota from the game.

But the facilities were good for THAT time. Now we need facilities that are good for THIS time.

The facilities were not good for that time. But it was compensated by having a wonderful atmosphere at times. Now it's sanitised so poor atmosphere and still poor facilities. Worst of both worlds.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":31zed5f4 said:

That’s. YOU.

:banghead: :banghead:

You seem utterly, utterly incapable of recognising that other people are different. And not just other people in general, but families, women and children who have a completely different set of priorities.

Then again, they’re not ‘real football fans’ so they can f**k off.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Biggs":h3wkuldl said:
oldage":h3wkuldl said:

That’s. YOU.

:banghead: :banghead:

You seem utterly, utterly incapable of recognising that other people are different. And not just other people in general, but families, women and children who have a completely different set of priorities.

Then again, they’re not ‘real football fans’ so they can f**k off.

You detract from a flawed argument by the use of foul and abusive language.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oldage":30cnit66 said:
Davie nine,how ironic that I am prepared to support Argyle regardless of the facilites ,unlike you and the rest of your croonies,yet you accuse me of not finding good in anything Argyle do. As for Guiri Green ,typical sarcasm which I will ignore.
You did not answer my first question and, as far as facilities are concerned, I will continue to support Argyle, as I have for over 60 years, regardless of facilities.
Perhaps, you could find a recent post that you have made praising something that Argyle have done.
Not many of my ‘croonies’ post on Pasoti.

Jul 12, 2016
I acknowledge that the refurbished grandstand will generate extra revenue during the week and have not said anything different.What winds me up is this constant reference to it increasing match day attendances when in reality, IMO ,the football on offer is more important.I cannot see many families wanting to be bored rigid on a Saturday afternoon but I might be wrong.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wouldn’t believe it either, so I went about asking the relevant people at away matches when I had my Golden Ticket. Believe it or not, without doubt, the facts are there are people out there that will attend matches with better facilities that don’t before hand!

I’m as old school as you old age but (as an example) Chesterfield’s before and after their new ground we’re very much higher. I actually asked people in their corporate area who told me in no uncertain terms that they never thought of attending before the new ground build.

Jul 12, 2016
Ian, we don't always see eye to eye but in this case it is good to receive a respectful ,reasoned response which I cannot argue with. Ultimately we all want the best for Argyle .Have a great Christmas.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":2ja8kyd5 said:
I cannot see many families wanting to be bored rigid on a Saturday afternoon but I might be wrong.

But that's sort of the point in a nutshell, isn't it? With a really good environment, street food, entertainment, music, good seats, a welcoming atmosphere, good coffee ( ;) ) etc etc, the less chance they will be bored.

At the moment, we offer football and nothing else. You try to make the whole experience a really good one regardless of the result (obviously you and I only really care about that) and there will be lots of people who really enjoy that whole day out. Especially families, women, children, students, casual fans, even non-football fans who want a good afternoon out at a big 'event'.

Is that fair?

(apologies for the f-word above JAF, it was mean to be flippant rather than foul and abusive. I even censored it myself :greensmile:)

Apr 19, 2008
Cornwall
I often sit at Home Park when we're losing thinking 'its a good job I'm Argyle through & through'. The PA system doesn't work properly, the microphone crackles during the match when it's wet, the floodlights blind us, I've stopped buying hot drinks due to the continual price increases. If I was a casual fan going to my first match, I don't think I'd be tempted to come back.

To be fair to the club, there have been many improvements made but a lot further progress is needed. As the club acknowledge, the maintenance of the horseshoe has been neglected due to our relatively recent administration period.

I just hope the club have the right people in place to successfully make the most of the new facilities. We might have state of the art facilities but we will not generate extra revenue without the right staff. As an example, the company I work for sponsored a match for 3 seasons in a row, giving Argyle a few thousand pounds in the process. The following season, the company were not contacted once to see if they were interested in sponsoring again. This is surely basic customer relationship management!

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It will be interesting to see in 4/5 years time when we are languishing in the bottom of div 4 with all the brand new facilities 15k flag waving fans attending HP not worried about the result.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Biggs":2lzqrui0 said:
oldage":2lzqrui0 said:
I cannot see many families wanting to be bored rigid on a Saturday afternoon but I might be wrong.

But that's sort of the point in a nutshell, isn't it? With a really good environment, street food, entertainment, music, good seats, a welcoming atmosphere, good coffee ( ;) ) etc etc, the less chance they will be bored.

At the moment, we offer football and nothing else. You try to make the whole experience a really good one regardless of the result (obviously you and I only really care about that) and there will be lots of people who really enjoy that whole day out. Especially families, women, children, students, casual fans, even non-football fans who want a good afternoon out at a big 'event'.

Is that fair?

(apologies for the f-word above JAF, it was mean to be flippant rather than foul and abusive. I even censored it myself :greensmile:)[/qu

Obviously out of character Biggs which is why it stood out, reference the enhanced facilities bringing in extra bums on seats, only attractive and sometime winning football will make them returners.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I mostly agree, but I 100% believe there will be many, many people and families who have considered a day out at Argyle when the football IS good, and take a look at the potholed car park, weeds, dilapidated stand and rotting concrete and are put off. No, these aren't 'real football fans' but they are people we want to attend Home Park.

Contrast that with a modern, attractive building maybe with street food and entertainment outside, with a beautiful art deco superstore and landscaped surround and it's just way, way more appealing. The Drake Circus comparison is definitely apt in my view, because it's the same 'sort' change, though not on the same scale.

The difference between 'god that looks grim' and 'wow, that looks really impressive and welcoming' can't be overstated. That goes for fans and players.

I'll shut up now, because I'm boring myself ;)

jerryatricjanner

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
You’re an inspiration Dunlop. Christmas is coming, see if you can put a little something at least in your glass and perhaps invite Oldage around to share it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oldage":8husoiak said:
Ian, we don't always see eye to eye but in this case it is good to receive a respectful ,reasoned response which I cannot argue with. Ultimately we all want the best for Argyle .Have a great Christmas.

Same to you and yours mate. (Miserable sod :greensmile:).

:thumbup: