FGR friendly to be streamed (match thread 2-1 FT) | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FGR friendly to be streamed (match thread 2-1 FT)

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
r4h4al":3ua7dx7e said:
LeonTheGreen":3ua7dx7e said:
He reminds me a bit of Ryan Donaldson, in that both of them just seem to be a passenger when they play/played in green.
Or possibly of Conor Hourihane where he was criticised while he was here but will go onto bigger and better things. There's definitely a player in there.

Conor Hourihane was a much better player than Conor Grant when he was here. He ended up being our captain. Will never forget that final goal at Pompey away in the last minute.

Jul 12, 2016
Fergy":2e19tc3t said:
He’s a utility player but should be nowhere near that starting XI imo. Let’s hope the ‘one or two’ additions Lowe has referred to in interviewers is another CM (if not Reeves).
I agree. I cannot understand why RL is persisting with him.
Runs around like a headless chicken!

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
r4h4al":vym9fr1k said:
LeonTheGreen":vym9fr1k said:
He reminds me a bit of Ryan Donaldson, in that both of them just seem to be a passenger when they play/played in green.
Or possibly of Conor Hourihane where he was criticised while he was here but will go onto bigger and better things. There's definitely a player in there.

Funnily enough, I was thinking yesterday that he reminded me of Hourihane, but only of Hourihane at his most negative worst. I hope Lowe can get a tune out of Grant, but we are 12 months in and it doesn´t seem as if there is progress.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I see this has now turned into a anti Conor Grant thread now. Every season you can be sure that so called Argyle fans On here, will pick on a particular player. I could give you a whole list of players over the seasons who get rubbished on this site. Why do people have to be so rude about a particular player representing our club. For what it’s worth, I do not think there is one player in the Argyle squad who doesn’t add to the Strength of the squad, and yes you can have your favourites, but just by reading the threads on here, there are fans who do not like certain players while other fans think is the bees knees. It’s all a matter of opinion. At least Wooton is having a bit of a rest from critisism .

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
plymouthboyuk":2w8pjpv8 said:
I see this has now turned into a anti Conor Grant thread now. Every season you can be sure that so called Argyle fans On here, will pick on a particular player. I could give you a whole list of players over the seasons who get rubbished on this site. Why do people have to be so rude about a particular player representing our club. For what it’s worth, I do not think there is one player in the Argyle squad who doesn’t add to the Strength of the squad, and yes you can have your favourites, but just by reading the threads on here, there are fans who do not like certain players while other fans think is the bees knees. It’s all a matter of opinion. At least Wooton is having a bit of a rest from critisism .

I like him. I've always liked him. I think he can play. Thangew.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
plymouthboyuk":2c4zypgb said:
I don't visit other club's fans forums but I'm sure they've all got fans on there who think they're experts. It's the way it is. Thankfully it's only Ryan Lowe's opinion that matters.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I would not select Conor Grant in my strongest XI, but he is an Argyle player and, consequently, when he is in the team and is giving 100%, he will have my full support.
From what I saw yesterday, he does not deserve the criticism that he is receiving for yesterday’s performance.
I really do like the look of both McLeod and Camara.
Camara, in particular, with his speed and long legs, seems to have a happy knack of dispossessing an opponent without fouling him and McLeod has a calming influence in midfield.
Optimistic!!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Watching the second half, I was also impressed with no 20, who I thought was Ben Reeves. I’ve now realised that Reeves was no 18 and no 20 was Adam Randell (“one of our own”).

Jun 18, 2020
I thought Grant did ok yesterday. Tried a few slide rule passes which didn't quite come off. Generally got his positioning correct but left space for their scorer to shoot from.

He looked much better suited to the holding midfield role. Played some nice balls out and forward.

Aug 5, 2016
MacLeod was brilliant, looks like he will be a quality addition. Camara too showed he offers something different.

The LWB will need to improve, and we didn't see the best of Nouble on that performance. I am sure Lowe will be showing him the footage and what runs he should be making where.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
plymouthboyuk":2rk5krsd said:

It’s a forum. For opinions. I’m only commenting on what I see

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
plymouthboyuk":2o0d9kps said:

I was just thinking it’s about time I gave Wootton some grief………
So rude? Have you heard the Devonport end song about him? :facepalm:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Have now watched the game back, and we did fairly well against a decent FGR side. Some general thoughts:
- In the first half I thought we could have done with pushing the wing backs 10 yards higher up - in attack we were narrow, even when Nouble and Hardie hit the channels they were quite isolated, and if Moore and Miller had been pushed on a bit more they could have linked with them. In the second half they played higher, and we had more options and width in attack as a result.

- In general, the second half was better and more fluid - a ten minute wobble (which included their equaliser) apart. The increased width dragged FGR out wider giving Grant and Mayor more space to operate in, plus both Watts and Aimson weren't afraid to underlap and support the midfield - even if technically they weren't great and often gave the ball away when they were there.

- Both of our goals were marginal officiating decisions. I think by pausing the video, Jephcott was just just onside for the winner, but it was very close. MacLeod I think was a little fortunate to get away with a tackle in the lead up to our first goal though - it's one of those frustrating little fouls that you hate to see given and the FGR player does make the most of it, but MacLeod does give him a little push in the back - if that had been the other way, we'd have been appealing for it.

- I think it was a deliberate tactic of FGR to not press Wootton when he had the ball - because when Canavan came on there, he got pressed a lot more. Wootton benefitted from this and actually played some nice passes into midfield.

- FGR's goalie was sweeping far more than Cooper, which has its benefits in terms of allowing the defence to play higher up and for him to collect long balls, but it's risk and reward, and he was made to look silly with Jephcott's winner. Outside your area means you can't use your hands, mate!

Comments on the individual players:

Cooper - looked very comfortable, completely blameless for the goal and made a few good saves.

Aimson - wasn't great on the ball, and with his aerial ability should perhaps be considered to swap with Wootton to play in the middle. Defensively completely solid.

Wootton - as stated above, wasn't being pressed much but did well. Lost his man in the box once in the first half but defensively was good too.

Watts - a few sloppy moments on the ball but looks technically ok. Defensively fine. Can tell he doesn't want to play the ball long and prefers playing it on the deck, which is a good fit for this team.

MacLeod - excellent on the ball. Defensive positioning when FGR's defence had the ball is obviously difficult to tell because of the TV camera but with the back 3 he broke through FGR press well and got out of some tight spots to retain possession.

Moore and Miller - both a little average on the ball, crossing (especially Moore) left a bit to be desired, but defensively they were ok. Miller's right foot I'm not sure is strong enough for him to play RWB - it would leave us very narrow unless the RCM can overlap, which to be fair the energetic Camara did do a few times.

Grant and Mayor - a little sloppy in possession. Grant's technique let him down I think, Mayor was more about decision making. To be fair though, they are creative players, it's clear that Lowe is sending them out there to create chances for us and as a result they are going to give the ball away sometimes. However, I'd still like to see more from them. Defensively and off the ball though, they were fine.

Nouble - in this system, the strikers have to be willing to push out wide when we're out of possession to track opposition full backs / outside centre backs. I thought Nouble could have been better in this respect. His hold up play was also a bit mixed. Very good through ball for our opening goal though.

Hardie - better off the ball than Nouble, and took his chance when it came. He's not completely lightweight too, he can hold off defenders reasonably well. His pace will be a real asset to us when opposition teams play a very high defensive line.

Sawyer and Canavan were largely untested, but they did what they had to do. Canavan had some tight spots to get out of and he did this well - like I said, FGR pressed him more than they did Wootton.

Law made one very good pass to Reeves, and again didn't have masses to do but did ok.

Reeves looks a good player - he pressed the ball high up. He also used the ball well, better than Grant did. Camara looked very one footed to me but also used the ball well, very good pressing and a fine assist for the winner. If he can do that for 90 minutes, he'll be some player.

Telford was simply outmuscled. He doesn't have Hardie's raw pace to drag defenders around either. Hopefully he can still be an asset to us though. Jephcott took his goal very well, but like I said the keeper had a right brain fart. His movement is also intelligent and he has a bit more bulk than Telford.

Looking forward to the season starting - there are some things to work on of course but we look to be in decent shape. On another day, we'd have lost 1-0 and there'd be doom and gloom on here, but on the balance of play we deserved to get something out of the game anyway.