Final | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Final

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Shame that penalty will take the headlines as it's been a good game .

VAR has been quite good generally but maybe not on that occasion .

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Entertaining game overall and perhaps France deserved to win by a sliver. A shame the cheating and VAR gave Croatia too much to do. I think that will have affected the second half - France didn't have to work very hard for their win.

Jul 24, 2009
Best side won the tournament for me, well done France. Well played Croatia, an excellent final and they were very unfortunate to be behind at half time. I didn't think it was a penalty but I'm not sure that it was unjust as the BBC were making out, could have gone either way. First goal was never a free kick. They did their country proud albeit could have been a bit classier in some of their remarks after the semi final.

France stepped on the gas second half and both on the day and over the tournament deserved it.

Jul 25, 2011
Good god! How long is this pomp and nonsense going to be dragged out for? A bunch of suits who’ve never kicked a ball in their lives slapping each other on the back holding court while the world waits. Really boils my piddle. They started doing it in the champions league, fannying about revelling in their own self importance. Why? Most people would’ve switched off after half an hour of this dirge.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There was one angle that suggested the defender's hand moved towards the ball but in my opinion not deliberately enough to be a penalty.

VAR or no VAR though, the referee's decision is still final. Pundits keep saying that it wasn't a clear and obvious error but I would say he didn't give it originally because he didn't see the ball hit the hand. VAR suggesting he has another look is the way forward though. He could still have said no pen.

Jul 25, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":1dh4lqqd said:
There was one angle that suggested the defender's hand moved towards the ball but in my opinion not deliberately enough to be a penalty.

VAR or no VAR though, the referee's decision is still final. Pundits keep saying that it wasn't a clear and obvious error but I would say he didn't give it originally because he didn't see the ball hit the hand. VAR suggesting he has another look is the way forward though. He could still have said no pen.
Final proof that VAR doesn’t stop referees making incorrect decisions then. As someone who’s actually attended a VAR match I would never trade off an occasional correct descision for the disruption in the flow of the game it causes. Being in the stadium watching inexplicable pauses and decisions in play are the biggest nonsense I’ve ever witnessed at a match. Bin it.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
with-menace":2u66s0e7 said:
Good god! How long is this pomp and nonsense going to be dragged out for? A bunch of suits who’ve never kicked a ball in their lives slapping each other on the back holding court while the world waits. Really boils my piddle. They started doing it in the champions league, fannying about revelling in their own self importance. Why? Most people would’ve switched off after half an hour of this dirge.
Quite good fun seeing Macron getting soaked though.

A

andyr1963

Best World Cup Final I have ever seen. :thumbs: Crap result though :greensmile:

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Ray_Stidwell":pykzhvi3 said:
Wasn’t it just? andyr, All mainly Thanks to the team that undeservedly lost!

Although they were better in the first half did you not hear Martin Keown's comment "are ref's frightened of Croatia" or something to that effect.

In the game against England a number of fouls deserving a booking were not given. Lovren had 3 clear fouls. The best a body check on Harry Kane who would have beaten him as the last man. Manzukic jumping for a header and slyly planting an elbow on Tippier's I think head. Amd many, many more. In the final 17 minutes the ball was in play for 7 minutes as a number of mysterious ailments overcame the Croatian players. Gamesmanship - this is something VAR should be used to eradicate. It's just cheating - same as diving.

So I was thoroughly behind France today. Croatia have won a number of free kicks by throwing themselves to the floor. In the end it was the biter was bit.

France have been the best side over the tournament for me. Allez les bleus.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
with-menace":3qt2mgd3 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3qt2mgd3 said:

Final proof that VAR doesn’t stop referees making incorrect decisions then. As someone who’s actually attended a VAR match I would never trade off an occasional correct descision for the disruption in the flow of the game it causes. Being in the stadium watching inexplicable pauses and decisions in play are the biggest nonsense I’ve ever witnessed at a match. Bin it.

VAR is still a work in progress and informing those in attendance of what is going on is certainly something they need to work on but binning it at this stage wouldn't be giving it a fair chance.

As for your claim... "Final proof that VAR doesn’t stop referees making incorrect decisions then" You seem to have come to the conclusion that today's referee got it wrong. Well he didn't. I've checked the laws of the game and it definitely doesn't say in the opinion of With-Menace. He didn't see it in real time, VAR allowed him a further look at the incident and in HIS OPINION it was a penalty. That makes it very much a correct decision according to the laws of the game.