George Cooper | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

George Cooper

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":135gx282 said:
Ross":135gx282 said:
I think it's best we move on. He's a good player but there are flaws in his game. All this talk of paying a fee for him is madness to me in the current economic climate. With a fully fit Fadz to come back (pending accepting our offer) I don't think we'll need Cooper.

Totally agree. Better players than Cooper will be available during the summer for free. If we had to pay a fee for anybody, it’s Hardie every time. Even then, we can’t be sure he would do it in L1.

Who are these better players than Cooper who want to sign for Argyle then? That don't mind the money we pay, don't throw strops at being on the bench for a few months, then get played at LWB even as a proven creative midfielder from the division above, and have no issue with it.

He is worth keeping if we get the chance. If his skillset is ten a penny then he wouldn't have ended up in the top 3 playmakers in the division on a fraction of the playing time of players at other clubs.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":kxmckvhw said:
Devongreenowl":kxmckvhw said:
Ross":kxmckvhw said:
I think it's best we move on. He's a good player but there are flaws in his game. All this talk of paying a fee for him is madness to me in the current economic climate. With a fully fit Fadz to come back (pending accepting our offer) I don't think we'll need Cooper.

Totally agree. Better players than Cooper will be available during the summer for free. If we had to pay a fee for anybody, it’s Hardie every time. Even then, we can’t be sure he would do it in L1.

Who are these better players than Cooper who want to sign for Argyle then? That don't mind the money we pay, don't throw strops at being on the bench for a few months, then get played at LWB even as a proven creative midfielder from the division above, and have no issue with it.

He is worth keeping if we get the chance. If his skillset is ten a penny then he wouldn't have ended up in the top 3 playmakers in the division on a fraction of the playing time of players at other clubs.

I’m not saying he was useless Knibbs! I wonder though, if he’s as good a prospect as some think, why Peterborough don’t seem to want him? Maybe they too don’t think he is good enough for L1. I admit he’s young and his career could go either way. If he’s available for free why not sign him. If not, find someone else.

Aug 5, 2016
Yes but you said there were plenty of better available players. Who and where are these exactly on our budget?

Charlie Kirk and Randell Williams had two and one more assist than Cooper respectively, and both played over 1000 more minutes than him. That is over 11 x 90 minute matches.

If Cooper had a season full of football unobstructed, he would have done to the assist table what Eoin Doyle did to the goalscoring one. Except Swindon fans probably don't ponder if it is worth sending him back to Bradford cos there are better available players out there!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I don't think any of us know who will be available over the coming months. We dont even know what gaps we have in our squad yet.

Think DGO is simply saying that Cooper will not be free and therefore probably/possibly out of our reach. For the fee set out there may or may not be better players but do we have the fee available in the first place?

The criticisms of Cooper in the role he played is the lack of consistency in delivery and lack of defensive support. He's a luxury player but could we afford that in League 1. As DGO is saying if he was that good a L1 player then Peterborough would be stupid to let him go.

I trust the team management to bring the best players they can in. They did it last year to great effect.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think you need luxury players more in League 1 than in League 2. Even if they are inconsistent you need the occasional pieces of extra quality that a luxury players brings to beat better sides. Consistent basic play might keep you in a higher division but it won’t get you much else.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark Pedlar":2zk1sqtc said:
I don't think any of us know who will be available over the coming months. We dont even know what gaps we have in our squad yet.

Think DGO is simply saying that Cooper will not be free and therefore probably/possibly out of our reach. For the fee set out there may or may not be better players but do we have the fee available in the first place?

The criticisms of Cooper in the role he played is the lack of consistency in delivery and lack of defensive support. He's a luxury player but could we afford that in League 1. As DGO is saying if he was that good a L1 player then Peterborough would be stupid to let him go.

I trust the team management to bring the best players they can in. They did it last year to great effect.

Couldn’t have put it better myself MP!

As for which players I’m thinking about Knibbs - I’m not thinking about anybody in particular, but I certainly believe there will be Championship players being released, or available on loan who will be worth looking at, rather than a player who has already failed to impress his employers in L1. I still say if he’s free, give him a contract, but don’t go paying money for him, not in this 'buyers market'.

Mar 8, 2016
Knibbsworth":huff3lm4 said:
Yes but you said there were plenty of better available players. Who and where are these exactly on our budget?

Charlie Kirk and Randell Williams had two and one more assist than Cooper respectively, and both played over 1000 more minutes than him. That is over 11 x 90 minute matches.

If Cooper had a season full of football unobstructed, he would have done to the assist table what Eoin Doyle did to the goalscoring one. Except Swindon fans probably don't ponder if it is worth sending him back to Bradford cos there are better available players out there!

So true.
Unfortunately we just can’t afford Cooper. We’re skint, just Like 90% of The other league one and two clubs.

Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
As good as Cooper was for us last season, he lacks the defensive side of the game which is probably why there is not a list of clubs in for him, and is the reason I wouldn’t be too unhappy if he didn’t return.
I would much rather have Graham Carey who doesn’t forget his defensive duties and also has a magical left foot. Think I read somewhere he will be available on a free transfer this summer. Whether Lowe would entertain him after last years snub is another matter.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
More of a question of whether GC (the real one) or his family wanted to come back to Plymouth.

Jul 12, 2016
Can we just forget GC and move on. I can never understand this obsession with ex players. If the assumptions are true there will be plenty of good players looking for work .It will certainly be a buyers market but few clubs will be spending.

Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
oldage":2huzyaih said:
Can we just forget GC and move on. I can never understand this obsession with ex players. If the assumptions are true there will be plenty of good players looking for work .It will certainly be a buyers market but few clubs will be spending.

If you want to forget about ex players you are on the wrong thread.
This whole thread is about bringing back an ex player.

Jan 27, 2012
...we are talking about an extremely recent ex-player who Argyle must have some chance of signing permanently, even its a slim one. If Peterborough don't want Cooper in their first team then they may be glad to offload him. The same goes for Hardie. At the moment its all about cash flow for clubs and the best way to improve that is to lower the wage bill. Whether or not Argyle can afford to pay Coopers wages in the current climate is uncertain. However, I don't see many teams in Leagues One or Two paying transfer fees this year, so if Cooper becomes available I expect it will be on a free.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Benji85":5utaidbs said:
I heard a rumour Carey might be available :tumbleweed:

Carey was outstanding for CSKA Sofia last night. Best player on the park by a mile, pulling all the strings, taking all the set pieces, against 2nd places Lokomotiv. On that performance he should playing at a higher level.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Adam_R":2nz7k5bs said:
Bit of a nothing report in their local rag.

Him - He wants to stay and fight for a place. Would he say any different?
Club - hes ours unless someone bids for him... Not exactly an arm around the shoulder and reassuring him of his future.

Especially with MacAntony saying that George Cooper will be back up to another player, not exactly good inspiring words to boost your confidence, as MacAntony had previously said that Cooper wasn’t a L1 level player, if a chairman had said about me it would make me feel pretty unwanted tbh.

Jul 12, 2016
leedann":3fp6bl6d said:
oldage":3fp6bl6d said:

If you want to forget about ex players you are on the wrong thread.
This whole thread is about bringing back an ex player.
The obsession is with ex players who were signed on permanent contracts as against loanees but you already knew what I meant!