Given our current plight - Ridsdale, Yes or No? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Given our current plight - Ridsdale, Yes or No?

Given our current plight - Ridsdale, Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2006
Tavistock
There seems to be a huge amount of bitterness towards Ridsdale that simply can't be explained rationally.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but why chastise someone for one (Leeds) bad spell at a club? Ridsdale was put into Leeds by the then PLC board as an experienced and successful CEO following his success at Topshop etc. He freely admits to having had to learn on the job, but since the problems there, he has developed a set of skills that are now tuned to football.

Cardiff was a mess when he went in there, but under his stewardship, they have progressed, moved to a new stadium and are managing themselves within their means.

PAFC needs just that now, or risk the consequences. While people may not like him, assuming he and some new investment come in, we will at least still have a club to support. There are clearly forces at play in the boardroom at the moment that we simply must get rid of, and if Ridsdale is the disinfectant to do that then we should be behind him.

The club is at least £7m in the red, so anyone who thinks he's coming in to asset strip the club for his own business has about as much business nous as a lettuce. The cupboard is bare already, so we should be grateful anyone wants to get involved in this mess!

I'd be prepared to place a wager that in 2 years time, the club will be in far better shape and looking upwards again, and that most fans would be prepared to buy Ridsdale a drink for saving our club.........

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
petejigsaw":16chthwi said:
There seems to be a huge amount of bitterness towards Ridsdale that simply can't be explained rationally.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but why chastise someone for one (Leeds) bad spell at a club? Ridsdale was put into Leeds by the then PLC board as an experienced and successful CEO following his success at Topshop etc. He freely admits to having had to learn on the job, but since the problems there, he has developed a set of skills that are now tuned to football.

Cardiff was a mess when he went in there, but under his stewardship, they have progressed, moved to a new stadium and are managing themselves within their means.

PAFC needs just that now, or risk the consequences. While people may not like him, assuming he and some new investment come in, we will at least still have a club to support. There are clearly forces at play in the boardroom at the moment that we simply must get rid of, and if Ridsdale is the disinfectant to do that then we should be behind him.

The club is at least £7m in the red, so anyone who thinks he's coming in to asset strip the club for his own business has about as much business nous as a lettuce. The cupboard is bare already, so we should be grateful anyone wants to get involved in this mess!

I'd be prepared to place a wager that in 2 years time, the club will be in far better shape and looking upwards again, and that most fans would be prepared to buy Ridsdale a drink for saving our club.........

No, that is not true. Under his stewardship they remained in a mess and maybe got into further troubles. Their current situation is to do with their current owners who refused to take over until Risdale had gone.

Oct 26, 2006
Tavistock
Kevin_Dacombe":129gm4p4 said:
No, that is not true. Under his stewardship they remained in a mess and maybe got into further troubles. Their current situation is to do with their current owners who refused to take over until Ridsdale had gone.

Sorry Kevin but you obviously don't know much about what actually happended at Cardiff. My family are lifelong season ticket holders and will tell you how valuable Ridsdale was in getting the club sorted out!

Read this for some proper background:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8653322.stm

Ridsdale has a track record of getting things sorted out, and unless the club gets someone with that sort of 'football administrator' type skill-set, then we can kiss the club goodbye.

The way some Argyle fans seem to despise Ridsdale, I'm starting to think they want the club to go to the wall. There is no 'white knight' out there riding to the club's rescue as some people think, nor do any of the current directors have the 'pocket change' millions that people seem to assume. The club needs real support from the people of Plymouth and someone in charge day to day who has got clubs out of this position before.

This BBC blog is worth a read for a totally impartial view:

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/12/pilgrims_protest_as_christmas.html

Dec 4, 2006
petejigsaw":3ce2w6ie said:
Kevin_Dacombe":3ce2w6ie said:
No, that is not true. Under his stewardship they remained in a mess and maybe got into further troubles. Their current situation is to do with their current owners who refused to take over until Ridsdale had gone.

Sorry Kevin but you obviously don't know much about what actually happended at Cardiff. My family are lifelong season ticket holders and will tell you how valuable Ridsdale was in getting the club sorted out!

Ridsdale has a track record of getting things sorted out, and unless the club gets someone with that sort of 'football administrator' type skill-set, then we can kiss the club goodbye.

The way some Argyle fans seem to despise Ridsdale, I'm starting to think they want the club to go to the wall. There is no 'white knight' out there riding to the club's rescue as some people think, nor do any of the current directors have the 'pocket change' millions that people seem to assume. The club needs real support from the people of Plymouth and someone in charge day to day who has got clubs out of this position before.

Its very refreshing to read a post supported with evidence that is based on reality rather than sheep like predudice.

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
Greenlite":tm2as7xh said:
petejigsaw":tm2as7xh said:
Kevin_Dacombe":tm2as7xh said:

Its very refreshing to read a post supported with evidence that is based on reality rather than sheep like predudice.

What does the first bbc link say out of interest? I keep getting a page not found message. :(

Nov 11, 2006
petejigsaw":1yedy3it said:

Either I've got as much business sense as a lettuce or you should do a little research into how much Ridsdale made out of Cardiff while they were over £30m in debt. :wink:

A

Andy_Everett

The thing about Risdale and investment is this:

1) has he ever found any tangible investment?
2) 18 months ago, who would you back to garner investment. SRG, who was only brought in by United to help them become a PLC, or Risdale?

Is he the only option? Not for me. The board have been shocking and incompetent but if you were part of HMRC, looking to make an example of somebody as they are want to do, would you rather give the benefit of the doubt to the current lot or Risdale (given his track record)?

Basically we're screwed either way but in the short term and long term I'd rather not have him.

Oct 26, 2006
Tavistock
To PAFC+ and Andy Everett:

Ridsdale did not 'make' anything out of Cardiff other than the salary the club agreed to pay him for the role he performed.

He was brought in by the previous owners (mad Sam Hamman) to shore up the club and then seek new investment, which is what he actually did, in case you hadn't noticed Cardiff being taken over by the new Malaysian owners.

Almost all clubs are in debt in some form - Man Utd to the tune of £700m, but does that mean the manager, chief executive or tea lady there shouldn't get paid?????? In a capitalist economy, people are paid for their skills and what they bring to the table, not on some 'herd mentality' based on prejudice.

As regards HMRC, someone like Ridsdale, with his experience in handling tricky situations regarding unpaid taxes etc is just the person you want involved. I'd be pretty confident that without Ridsdale, there would have been no chance of the club staving off the original High Court action for anything like the 63 days they got.

In addition, if the HMRC is really looking to make an example out of a club, do you really think they'd prefer Argyle over Cardiff or the numerous other clubs higher up the leagues that are in a similar position.

I repeat what I said previously - there is no white knight riding in to save Argyle without someone there to facilitate a deal and manage the finances properly in the interim. You may not like Ridsdale, but I'd welcome him with open arms if it meant I still had a club to support come the start of next season!

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
petejigsaw":3frgyfjh said:
To PAFC+ and Andy Everett:

Ridsdale did not 'make' anything out of Cardiff other than the salary the club agreed to pay him for the role he performed.

He was brought in by the previous owners (mad Sam Hamman) to shore up the club and then seek new investment, which is what he actually did, in case you hadn't noticed Cardiff being taken over by the new Malaysian owners.

Almost all clubs are in debt in some form - Man Utd to the tune of £700m, but does that mean the manager, chief executive or tea lady there shouldn't get paid?????? In a capitalist economy, people are paid for their skills and what they bring to the table, not on some 'herd mentality' based on prejudice.

As regards HMRC, someone like Ridsdale, with his experience in handling tricky situations regarding unpaid taxes etc is just the person you want involved. I'd be pretty confident that without Ridsdale, there would have been no chance of the club staving off the original High Court action for anything like the 63 days they got.

In addition, if the HMRC is really looking to make an example out of a club, do you really think they'd prefer Argyle over Cardiff or the numerous other clubs higher up the leagues that are in a similar position.

I repeat what I said previously - there is no white knight riding in to save Argyle without someone there to facilitate a deal and manage the finances properly in the interim. You may not like Ridsdale, but I'd welcome him with open arms if it meant I still had a club to support come the start of next season!

He drove them to the brink of extinction and thankfully the club was saved when a fan of the club found some investors in Malaysia. A fan found the investors not Ridsdale. If this fan had not found these investors then I doubt Cardiff would still be around.

He took massive risks with the clubs future and had his ass saved by a fan. To me this does not qualify as 'shoring' something up. The people who took over the club refused to deal with Ridsdale or indeed takeover until it was clear he was no longer anything to do with the club.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Tavypilgrim":kqw5zw9n said:
What does the first bbc link say out of interest? I keep getting a page not found message. :(

Try again - I have corrected the link.

It gives the lie to those who insist the new investor wouldn't take over while Ridsdale was still there.

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
Argylegames":1v2gmsk7 said:
Tavypilgrim":1v2gmsk7 said:

Try again - I have corrected the link.

It gives the lie to those who insist the new investor wouldn't take over while Ridsdale was still there.

Thank you.

An informative article although it seems to be entirely based on a press release by the club. I'm always suspicious of club statements as they never reveal the truth. A manager is never sacked for being 'woefully incompetent' for example.

If I recall we also heard from Cardiff fans about some kind of agreement being signed before Ridsdale left. An agreement in which certain details would be withheld from the public domain and in which he would in return leave without a fuss upon prompt payment for his services. This may explain how he got such a glowing review.

It's an article which goes in the 'For' Ridsdale column but its still very much outnumbered by the 'against' for me.