Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

Mar 16, 2009
London
the_corkscrew":1vm6hj5f said:
Bristol Rich":1vm6hj5f said:
the_corkscrew":1vm6hj5f said:
He obviously won't play for England. But he is technically a very good player. First touch usually excellent, good passer, pace. Loads of ability and potential to score 20 a season with the right service. After Saturday he must be feeling like ripping his contract up. Don't blame him.

You see a different player to me. I see why he was a Southend reject who is lucky to even have a contract in League 1.

Any change of opinion ?

I've been saying it for weeks.

And received plenty of stick on here (from Bristol Rich and other 'experts') for daring to post positive thoughts on one of our payers.

This guy can be more than a mere 20-goal-a-season striker. He has the potential to go all the way.

And we have the right manager to bring out the best in him.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":2krebj1s said:
Olayinka Fredrick Oladotun Ladapo may not achieve the success of Mariner in his career but he must have one of the longest full names in Argyle history.
Perhaps I’ll stick to Freddie and hope that he keeps knocking them in.
A rival to Forbes Earnest Phillipson-Masters, a centre half signed from Southampton in 1979. Legend has it that when manager Bobby Saxton was asked to justify the outlay of £50k on a centre-half he told the chairman that he was actually signing 3 players - Forbes, Phillipson and Masters!

May 1, 2011
Justin":i3cvqx0a said:
the_corkscrew":i3cvqx0a said:
Bristol Rich":i3cvqx0a said:
the_corkscrew":i3cvqx0a said:
He obviously won't play for England. But he is technically a very good player. First touch usually excellent, good passer, pace. Loads of ability and potential to score 20 a season with the right service. After Saturday he must be feeling like ripping his contract up. Don't blame him.

You see a different player to me. I see why he was a Southend reject who is lucky to even have a contract in League 1.

Any change of opinion ?

And received plenty of stick on here (from Bristol Rich and other 'experts') for daring to post positive thoughts on one of our payers.

This guy can be more than a mere 20-goal-a-season striker. He has the potential to go all the way.

Credit to the guy for the last 2 games and for scoring 4 good goals.

You can be positive for sure but show some context, likening him to a former England international at this stage is somewhat premature and foolhardy and it's hardly negative or an expert opinion to point this out.

Maurino Keith was a decent striker for us in my view, I didn't brand him the new Tynan.

Calm down and don't put unnecessary pressure on a guy who for the 1st time in his career has scored 6 goals.

Let's hope he keeps it going.

Jun 2, 2016
Bristol Rich":3s1g652w said:
Justin":3s1g652w said:
the_corkscrew":3s1g652w said:
Bristol Rich":3s1g652w said:
the_corkscrew":3s1g652w said:

Any change of opinion ?

You can be positive for sure but show some context, likening him to a former England international at this stage is somewhat premature and foolhardy and it's hardly negative or an expert opinion to point this out.

Maurino Keith was a decent striker for us in my view, I didn't brand him the new Tynan.

Calm down and don't put unnecessary pressure on a guy who for the 1st time in his career has scored 6 goals.

Indeed. Definitely worthy of a League 1 contract I think we can all agree.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Goals are one thing but I thought he looked much better last night in terms of his link up play, which for me is equally important. He brought midfielders in to the game and was clever inside the box as well. Good game last night.

May 1, 2011
the_corkscrew":3476ugee said:
Bristol Rich":3476ugee said:
Justin":3476ugee said:
Bristol Rich":3476ugee said:

Any change of opinion ?

Indeed. Definitely worthy of a League 1 contract I think we can all agree.

Time will tell, let's hope his career boost starts here.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
memory man":b8np01sp said:
davie nine":b8np01sp said:
Olayinka Fredrick Oladotun Ladapo may not achieve the success of Mariner in his career but he must have one of the longest full names in Argyle history.
A rival to Forbes Earnest Phillipson-Masters, a centre half signed from Southampton in 1979. Legend has it that when manager Bobby Saxton was asked to justify the outlay of £50k on a centre-half he told the chairman that he was actually signing 3 players - Forbes, Phillipson and Masters!
I’ve just edited FP-M and his second name is Ernest not Earnest, Steve. So, unless you want to include the hyphen, Freddie wins 30-29.

May 16, 2016
Comparisons aside (although compared to me he's world class), from what I've seen of him, and based on his Argyle career to date, up until recently, he has demonstrated all the attributes of a good Striker except for the important one of actually being able to score.

He has, the strength, speed and ability but, to me, he always taken the harder option of putting it wide or demonstrated powder puff shooting. However, that's normally when he has time and space on his side, maybe he's better when he doesn't have the chance to 'think' about it, not in acres of space and as of this week, instinct takes over and he scores a lovely goal or two.

The coming weeks and eventual return of Taylor will prove one way or another if he's in a Jason Banton, Reuben Reid type purple patch or really has become the Striker we all crave. I hope for Argyles sake its the latter and regardless of any England call up (hmm ok), he keeps sticking it in the net, beats the Argyle injury curse and gets touted at whatever it was DA said he'd be worth, if only to keep his and our confidence up in him.

No disputing DA has the ability to sign more than the odd duffer, but occasionally, he'll drag someone from the shadows of their career and get the spotlight firmly shining on them, if only long enough for Argyle to benefit.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
the point you made guiri about not being able to "think" about sticking the ball in the net is the same point i made last night.when he is through one on one you can almost hear him thinking "the goal is getting smaller".he took his goals very well last night.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":26neu65k said:
memory man":26neu65k said:
davie nine":26neu65k said:
I’ve just edited FP-M and his second name is Ernest not Earnest, Steve. So, unless you want to include the hyphen, Freddie wins 30-29.
Oh dear! I thought we had a debate some years ago on GoS about whether it was Ernest or Earnest. Cannot remember the outcome but I will concede!!

May 1, 2011
Guiri Green":2igitobd said:
Comparisons aside (although compared to me he's world class), from what I've seen of him, and based on his Argyle career to date, up until recently, he has demonstrated all the attributes of a good Striker except for the important one of actually being able to score.

He has, the strength, speed and ability but, to me, he always taken the harder option of putting it wide or demonstrated powder puff shooting. However, that's normally when he has time and space on his side, maybe he's better when he doesn't have the chance to 'think' about it, not in acres of space and as of this week, instinct takes over and he scores a lovely goal or two.

The coming weeks and eventual return of Taylor will prove one way or another if he's in a Jason Banton, Reuben Reid type purple patch or really has become the Striker we all crave. I hope for Argyles sake its the latter and regardless of any England call up (hmm ok), he keeps sticking it in the net, beats the Argyle injury curse and gets touted at whatever it was DA said he'd be worth, if only to keep his and our confidence up in him.

No disputing DA has the ability to sign more than the odd duffer, but occasionally, he'll drag someone from the shadows of their career and get the spotlight firmly shining on them, if only long enough for Argyle to benefit.

Your post is interesting as 2 players spring to mind, both Banton and Mackie were hot young prospects at HP whose careers turned out very differently.

Only time will tell with Lapado.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
memory man":1kpqyq3h said:
davie nine":1kpqyq3h said:
memory man":1kpqyq3h said:
davie nine":1kpqyq3h said:
Oh dear! I thought we had a debate some years ago on GoS about whether it was Ernest or Earnest. Cannot remember the outcome but I will concede!!
Ok, Steve. I’ll get back to my other editing shortly.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Hitting it into the channel's isn't the right approach with Freddie, play it to his feet, let him link play, give him through balls, 1-2s etc, then he'll thrive as he did on Tuesday.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Cobi Budge":33vj5fkj said:
Hitting it into the channel's isn't the right approach with Freddie, play it to his feet, let him link play, give him through balls, 1-2s etc, then he'll thrive as he did on Tuesday.

Totally agree.

This post has brought back memories. Without becoming a supporter I used to watch Ipswich regularly when I lived at Chelmsford, and when Mariner was bought for an amazingly low figure, plus Pedalty and someone else in exchange, the locals couldn’t believe their luck. Very astute bloke was Bobby Robson