Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

Jan 20, 2004
The other player was Terry Austin, both donkeys compared to Mariner. Ipswich were relieved just to get them off their wage bill.

Later in his autobiography Bobby Robson claimed it was one of the biggest rip offs he had witnessed in football transfer history.

The deal was valued (by Ipswich) at approx £250,000 of which if I am correct we recieved £100,000 plus these two. Bearing in mind that it was about the same time as Trevor Francis became the first million pound transfer fee. Both Mariner and Francis then went on to play up front together for England.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Mike E":xyzdr39l said:
The other player was Terry Austin, both donkeys compared to Mariner. Ipswich were relieved just to get them off their wage bill.

Later in his autobiography Bobby Robson claimed it was one of the biggest rip offs he had witnessed in football transfer history.

The deal was valued (by Ipswich) at approx £250,000 of which if I am correct we recieved £100,000 plus these two. Bearing in mind that it was about the same time as Trevor Francis became the first million pound transfer fee. Both Mariner and Francis then went on to play up front together for England.

I guess for a third division club to be offered 100,000 you just take it.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mike E":24x211u4 said:

Terry Austin not as good as Mariner? Yes you're probably right!! ;)
But he scored 18 in 58 for us.
19 in 47 for Walsall and
31 in 84 for Mansfield so
not the biggest 'donkey' that I've seen play for us!! :shocked:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Well I never, I thought he was a complete non event. 18 goals? I'd never have thought that Pogles.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Still working through Russell Moore's comprehensive book on this era.

I know Graham Little confirmed a deal was agreed with West Ham which Tony Waiters changed to the Ipswich arrangement. Whatever the rationale for that, it failed as neither Austin or Peddelty really impressed at Argyle. Will never know now if we'd have been better off with a money only transfer to Upton Park.

The problem stemmed from trying to replace our main outstanding striker and goalscorer. Had the decision not been made to let Rafferty go in the summer, the loss of Mariner may have been felt less. The deal was surely too low for a player who within no time was an England international.

Will comment further when I get to that part of the book.

r4h4al - we were in second tier then.

Edit to add - seen Pogles stats on Terry Austin. Checked GoS, Mariner scored 7 in 10 Div 2 games, Austin scored 7 in 29 that season as his replacement- an impossible task?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pedro91":3mh376ac said:
Did you see Austin play??

I did. He was OK, leading the line. I have seen worse and I have seen a lot better down the seasons. Whilst tall, he was not as physical as Mariner and therefore did not retain possession as well, in order to score more goals.
He scored 18 goals in 58 League games for Argyle.In a 42 game season this proportions down to 13 goals scored. To compare, Rafferty, who was once exalted, scored 35 League goals in 89 games, which proportions to 16.5 goals over 42 games. I think you can deduce from this, that Austin 'wasn't bad' by any means.

Aug 5, 2015
Austin’s problem was that he had an impossible act to follow. Although l did see him play and wasn’t overly impressed the stats show he wasn’t that bad. As has been said I’ve seen others with less impressive stats.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Austin was a good lower division pro, I don't think anyone can dispute that, but goal scoring statistics don't tell the whole story. To compare the two is pointless. Mariner was an International class forward whose control, vision, shooting and heading ability was way above any other player playing outside the top flight at that time. We were lucky to have had him for the time we did and would have doubtless have added to his 35 England caps if it wasn't for a bad a achilles injury.

It's a bit like comparing a Rolls-Royce with an......Austin (apologies I couldn't resist it).

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Austin was a decent pro, although he puffed is way through the Rothmans as I recall ...

Remember seeing him at a club night in the Far Post and he was as I recall the only pro smoking that night.

Peddelty, we never got the best from as he suffered a fractured skull early on and eventually retired ( and he was the larger amount of the makeweight amount I think). I recall he tried to then go into refereeing to be fast tracked ( on the basis that pros would make the best refs....not convinced myself)

But yeah we got ripped off a treat ....

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
IJN":2j2iub2f said:
Frank_Butcher":2j2iub2f said:
IJN":2j2iub2f said:
I could never understand and I still can't why the teams that were after Mariner, didn't but the two, A) Everyone knew how good they were together B) Both could have been bought for peanuts. and C) As if to prove my points, both were bleddy good players after they moved on from PAFC.

From memory wasn't it West Ham and West Brom that were also interested in Mariner?

As for peanuts - that's exactly what we sold Rafferty for.

West Ham actually bought him, signed the papers and they were lodged in the club safe over the weekend. Awaiting the FA to open up again on Monday morning.

Tony Waiters undid the deal, because he has two players plus cash for Mariner.

West Ham reported us to the FA and called us a 'Horrible little club' and stated they would never deal with us again.

Source: Graham Little at his "Evening With....' thats to PAHA.

And WBA were in the equation too. As stated here by the man himself.

https://twitter.com/Paul_Mariner/status ... 87429?s=19

Clearly Paul wanted Ipswich and guess the Board wanted money.