Help with a memory of Carey. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Help with a memory of Carey.

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":25wodwxp said:
Since so many find it impossible to go a day without proclaiming Carey better than Mayor, I'd just like to say Akos was twice the player Carey was. At a higher level. And I will be repeating this in future on every Graham Carey love-in, so everyone knows that I think Akos was twice the player Carey was. Because its important that everyone knows that Akos was better. IMO. (so was Paul Dalton)

Can someone help me with a memory of Carey? Can anyone tell me if he was part of the team at Wembley? I mean, I don't remember him from the day, he must've been injured right?

He was marked with intensity, often with two men. When you are marked you often don’t get the ball. Credit to Wimbledon, they realised shutting him down was a priority.

If that Argyle side wasn’t so reliant on Carey, if the talent was spread across the side more evenly, his teammates would have benefited from the extra space but they didn’t.

It is like fans hating Mayor for contributing nothing away at Fleetwood. Why focus all the hate on him when every other Argyle player was just as useless that day?

Nov 3, 2006
up_the_line":3n45d8rn said:
Since so many find it impossible to go a day without proclaiming Carey better than Mayor, I'd just like to say Akos was twice the player Carey was. At a higher level. And I will be repeating this in future on every Graham Carey love-in, so everyone knows that I think Akos was twice the player Carey was. Because its important that everyone knows that Akos was better. IMO. (so was Paul Dalton)

Can someone help me with a memory of Carey? Can anyone tell me if he was part of the team at Wembley? I mean, I don't remember him from the day, he must've been injured right?

Akos is the most technically gifted player I've seen at the club since I started watching in 1994.

Feb 15, 2005
The Blackpool game looks like it’s in the COVID era with great swathes of empty terraces.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Paul H":i7lf8ocx said:
up_the_line":i7lf8ocx said:

Akos is the most technically gifted player I've seen at the club since I started watching in 1994.

He really was a step above anyone else. I don't think we'll see anyone as good for a long time.

Nov 3, 2006
PlymOdi":64mqr18q said:
Paul H":64mqr18q said:
up_the_line":64mqr18q said:

He really was a step above anyone else. I don't think we'll see anyone as good for a long time.

Agree. We got lucky having him in the first place. He was a hidden gem. If he was already a Championship player we wouldn't have been able to afford him.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
jespafc":1244d6pg said:
Cult Of Personality":1244d6pg said:
Carey in a Ryan Lowe setup would have been unreal. He would have torn the league's up even more then he did .

Same with Lamieres and Ladapo

All signed by Adams... :whistle: :whistle:
Yes ..... bizarre & ironic isn't it .... DA was such an instinctively cautious manager yet signed such players. Lameiras in particular he never trusted. Even during that purple patch when we were blowing teams away he was nearly always subbed after about 70mins - then we'd try to hang on to a lead. Him and GC10 together during that time were simply a joy to watch. Carey was amazing - no idea why he didn't play at a much higher level. We were very, very lucky to have such a player and for so long too.
It was stupid of RL to compare Mayor to him. I'm a big fan of his but he's nowhere near Carey's level.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Ave_IT":2qf33fz3 said:
jespafc":2qf33fz3 said:
Cult Of Personality":2qf33fz3 said:
Carey in a Ryan Lowe setup would have been unreal. He would have torn the league's up even more then he did .

Yes ..... bizarre & ironic isn't it .... DA was such an instinctively cautious manager yet signed such players. Lameiras in particular he never trusted. Even during that purple patch when we were blowing teams away he was nearly always subbed after about 70mins - then we'd try to hang on to a lead. Him and GC10 together during that time were simply a joy to watch. Carey was amazing - no idea why he didn't play at a much higher level. We were very, very lucky to have such a player and for so long too.
It was stupid of RL to compare Mayor to him. I'm a big fan of his but he's nowhere near Carey's level.

But he didn't play at a higher level

He built Mayor up because, for some reason droves of Argyle fans were crying into their cereal that Carey who had been distinctly mediocre in his final season and got relegated to the bottom division with the club had gone off to play in front of crowds that the reserves would snigger at and there were season tickets to sell. Course he was going to say something like that

Anyway Carey was crap compared to Akos

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Has anyone got footage of Carey’s outrageous piece of showboating in Zoocorner against Pompey? I d love to see that again.
For balance, I should say my favourite moment of the season so far is Danny Mayor putting the Donny defender on his arse before setting Luke up with a sitter.
And, for the record, I loved Akos as well..

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
bringonthemilkman":3krv2zvt said:
Has anyone got footage of Carey’s outrageous piece of showboating in Zoocorner against Pompey? I d love to see that again.
For balance, I should say my favourite moment of the season so far is Danny Mayor putting the Donny defender on his arse before setting Luke up with a sitter.
And, for the record, I loved Akos as well..

It has been scientifically proven that was not skill by Mayor but a slip by the defender.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
{Cough}

MVxd6r5.gif

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":wwgzxdbu said:
Ave_IT":wwgzxdbu said:
jespafc":wwgzxdbu said:
Cult Of Personality":wwgzxdbu said:

He built Mayor up because, for some reason droves of Argyle fans were crying into their cereal that Carey who had been distinctly mediocre in his final season and got relegated to the bottom division with the club had gone off to play in front of crowds that the reserves would snigger at and there were season tickets to sell. Course he was going to say something like that

Apart from a backheel nutmeg against Leeds and two free kicks against Norwich, what did Akos do that was levels above Carey?

I'd probably say Akos was more like Connor Grant with the odd stepover.

When you can show me Akos beating players and putting it in the top corner from 30 yards 10-15 times, I'll agree wiv ya.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knibbsworth":3jt6e19g said:
up_the_line":3jt6e19g said:
Ave_IT":3jt6e19g said:
jespafc":3jt6e19g said:
Cult Of Personality":3jt6e19g said:

Apart from a backheel nutmeg against Leeds and two free kicks against Norwich, what did Akos do that was levels above Carey?

I'd probably say Akos was more like Connor Grant with the odd stepover.

When you can show me Akos beating players and putting it in the top corner from 30 yards 10-15 times, I'll agree wiv ya.

He was so obviously head and shoulders better than Carey. He was playing at a higher level. He was selected for a national team. He bettered himself after leaving Argyle and he didn't get relegated to the bottom division with Argyle having been mediocre for the best part of a season.
Carey had the benefit of playing against duffers for most of the time he wore green whereas Akos played against actual name clubs.