Help with a memory of Carey. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Help with a memory of Carey.

Aug 5, 2016
You have a complex about Carey I’d persuade you to seek therapy for.

I’d say leaving Argyle for Champions League qualification matches, a pay rise and a better tax bracket is hardly like dropping to the Vauxhall Conference.

It’s easy to look mediocre when you set the standards and expectations like he did. I bet he did more in his final season, ran more than any player that Argyle player did, or any player of our relegated threatened rivals. Feel free to sift through the stats to check that.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knibbsworth":3b4iagx6 said:

I’d say leaving Argyle for Champions League qualification matches and a pay rise is hardly dropping to the Vauxhall Conference.

Not at all. He was a great player in spells.
What I do have a complex about is the daily need from posters to queue up and go all gooey about an ex player, specifically denegrating a current player at the same time.

Personally I think Danny Mayor should be made to personally visit every season ticket holder and apologise for not being Carey.

I have no idea what Carey's wages are now, I'm not on personal terms with him the way you must be.
I don't watch a great deal of Bulgarian football, but then again nor do many Bulgarians. Certainly I'd like to think that if I was a much sought after footballer I'd rather move to the championship if clubs were queueing up for my signature rather than 3 games in the champions league and the rest of the year playing in front of basically no one

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":5zb8jtou said:
Knibbsworth":5zb8jtou said:

I’d say leaving Argyle for Champions League qualification matches and a pay rise is hardly dropping to the Vauxhall Conference.
What I do have a complex about is the daily need from posters to queue up and go all gooey about an ex player, specifically denegrating a current player at the same time.

Personally I think Danny Mayor should be made to personally visit every season ticket holder and apologise for not being Carey.

Remember, it was our current manager that felt the need to say Mayor was better than Carey. Out of nowhere.

The urge for repeated comparison, the pressure that comes with eclipsing in my opinion one of our all time greats, came from a statement made by our manager.

Stop having a go at our fans for bringing up something the manager said all by himself 18 months ago.

When our fans start slagging off Niall Canavan or Gary Sawyer for not being as good as Graham Carey I’ll agree with you.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
bringonthemilkman":1jpzucsh said:
Has anyone got footage of Carey’s outrageous piece of showboating in Zoocorner against Pompey? I d love to see that again.
For balance, I should say my favourite moment of the season so far is Danny Mayor putting the Donny defender on his arse before setting Luke up with a sitter.
And, for the record, I loved Akos as well..
https://twitter.com/photosofootball/sta ... 16608?s=19

Enjoy!

It does make Danny's trick against Donny look plain ordinary. As for blaming Carey for relegation :facepalm: .....Maybe (just a theory, like) ......but maybe it was something to do with the 80 goals we conceded (whilst scoring more than Coventry who finished 7th) ??

Akos? Probably my favourite ever Argyle player. So often a couple of seconds magic was worth the entrance fee alone. Loved him. But look at his stats.... he was a showman with little end product and frankly a liability anywhere near our own box. Carey's stats were astonishing. He had offers to play higher level but (for some bizarre reason) seemed to like it here.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knibbsworth":2v1l1ln5 said:
up_the_line":2v1l1ln5 said:
Knibbsworth":2v1l1ln5 said:

Remember, it was our current manager that felt the need to say Mayor was better than Carey. Out of nowhere.

The urge for repeated comparison, the pressure that comes with eclipsing in my opinion one of our all time greats, came from a statement made by our manager.

Stop having a go at our fans for bringing up something the manager said all by himself 18 months ago.

When our fans start slagging off Niall Canavan or Gary Sawyer for not being as good as Graham Carey I’ll agree with you.

What did you expect Lowe to say.
'nah Mayor is crap compared to the guy who was part of the team that just got you relegated. Don't bother buying a season ticket'
I'll stop having a go at the 'fans' when they stop berating a current player who has done nothing to deserve it and going all wet eyed about an ex player on a daily flipping basis.

All time greats :lol:
No one who played in the bottom two divisions for Argyle and ended up back in the bottom division qualifies as an 'all time great'
I've only gone since 1990 but the following players would all get in my best Argyle midfield ahead of Carey:
Nalis - championship
McCall - made the third tier payoffs with Argyle
Buszaky - championship
Castle - made the third tier play offs, scored shed loads
Dalton - wonder goals, made play offs
Friio - helped us get promotion to the championship
Halmosi - superb in the championship
Norris - championship consistent performer

I'm pretty certain people who have gone for a lot longer would have seen players playing at a higher level and wouldn't be a as wowed by wonder goals against Morecambe

For the record Carey was one of the only highlights of an otherwise soul destroying period of watching Argyle. But the more gushing that goes on about him the more sick buckets I'm getting through

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Many magical moments from GC10, but my favourite from that video clip is when he hits the ball with the outside of his left wand,yes, it was a magic one, through four of the opposition to R Reid who shrugs off a fifth player and scores in the Devonport end.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
No-one mentioning this Carey memory.
6 April 2019. 5 games until the end of the season.
Argyle 0-0 Charlton. 39 mins. Argyle awarded a penalty.
Carey hits one of the lamest penalties seen straight at the keeper.
41 minutes Argyle 0-1 Charlton
Ended nil 2.
A point extra that season would have kept us up.

Nov 11, 2020
In fifty years of following Argyle, I believe Carey has been consistently our best midfield player. Even taking into consideration the varying divisions we have been in.