Ifollow income/views (clubs on the brink of admin) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ifollow income/views (clubs on the brink of admin)

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Bleak projections on the BBC website today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54322650

Made me wonder what additional income/viewing figures were coming to the club from pay per stream Ifollow views? Have we had any reports on that? The reason I ask is that given the horror stories, knowing the extent that this is helping and communicating it to fans might help those that can afford it to look at other ways to do more (donating through PayPal, which I did earlier when that was advertised, or more buying merch). I recognise, of course, that those that have bought season tickets have already made a huge commitment that they might not recoup. The more we know, though, the more we can help.

I’d hope that, with season ticket holders, we’d be getting 10,000 odd streams which at a tenner a pop would put another million or so in the coffers over a course of the season?

max

Jan 5, 2012
PORTSMOUTH
Talking about iFollow, is it only me who has rubbish reception for the match? Stop and start, I missed our goal and when the match restarted after halftime I was still watching the first half!!!
I'm only in Pompey not Outer Mongolia!!!
Max

Apr 1, 2009
The quality issue on ifollow could be a major problem on this. For those who are buying match to match, purchases may cease if they can't get any adequate coverage. Worse is that ST holders for whom ifollow offers a replacement for live football, may start to ask for ST money back if the "alternative" service doesn't work.

On a different tangent within football's financial crisis (and playing devil's advocate a little), is anyone else at all surprised that clubs are continuing to recruit players? Within any other business facing meltdown, recruitment of further staff simply would not happen. In Argyle's case, it might be that Fulham are paying 100% of Opoku's wages, but it's more likely that Argyle are at least contributing. Many clubs are still making permanent signings though - perennially skint Morecambe have just signed Yann Songo'o for example. Are clubs taking the view that only a major bailout by government or Premier League will save them, so they might as well keep recruiting regardless and die fighting?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I also think the charge for overseas customers is far far too cheap. It should be doubled as they can see all of our game home and away for what? Something like £150??

As I say, missed revenue in my eyes.

Feb 8, 2005
Radio 4 tomorrow (Tuesday) 2000hrs File on Four should be a good listen.

Just remember that all those involved, including MP's, will have an agenda!

If you miss it try here: [https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006th08/episodes/downloads][/url]

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Forest of Dean Green":18gt6sr6 said:
I’d hope that, with season ticket holders, we’d be getting 10,000 odd streams which at a tenner a pop would put another million or so in the coffers over a course of the season?

That was my thought as well, but thinking about it further and based on the Bolton figures (just over 2,000 away passes sold) from that Colchester statement... I'm not so optimistic.

There will be loads of people only buying one stream, that several other people in the household watch. Then all the people that are happy with listening to the radio and not bothering with iFollow. Whether not being fussed about seeing the game, not having a tenner spare, sounds like hassle, not got internet etc etc.

I reckon those things alone could cut it to around the 2,000 passes that Bolton sold.

Jul 18, 2011
I do wonder what the percentage of people who have problems with ifollow is. There are people posting on PASOTI that they have problems but there could well be the silent majority who are not. So far (tempting fate now) I’ve found it very good and have been very satisfied.

I’m sure there are many others like me as well, exiles who rarely get to home games but get to quite a few away ones where all of the income from the ticket sales go to the home team. I’ve already purchased four home games and as long as they are available I’m expecting to purchase as many others as I can for as long as the season goes on. I’m also purchasing passes for some of the away games too. All of this will be additional income for the club that they would not otherwise have got.

Aug 8, 2013
max":2p0ph3wz said:
Talking about iFollow, is it only me who has rubbish reception for the match? Stop and start, I missed our goal and when the match restarted after halftime I was still watching the first half!!!
I'm only in Pompey not Outer Mongolia!!!
Max

Judging from my experience and the comments of several others on here,
you might do better in Outer Mongolia ! I'm currently stuck in Japan, unable to
get a flight back, but ifollow has been fine for me, both picture and commentary.
As somebody suggested, it might be due to the lower demand overseas.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
IJN":2nq6vqkv said:
I also think the charge for overseas customers is far far too cheap. It should be doubled as they can see all of our game home and away for what? Something like £150??

Ssshhh ;)

To be fair it is a good deal, but nobody was complaining about the price before Covid. Then, it was all extra revenue as us exiles had no other way of "attending" matches. It's a bit different now, as it is directly comparable with the UK now UK fans can't get to matches.

However, the current situation is a short term solution, and I wouldn't think gouging the exiles is worth it when you consider how many exiles are signed up, how many would stop if the price went up, etc.

FWIW I have my subscription and support the club in other ways that my finances allow (buying merchandise etc.).

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
IJN":znuhbr46 said:

I’d certainly agree with that. That is waaaay to cheap. As it’s a stream I don’t really get why the pricing would be so different. Like, 300 quid different! There’s no difference in service and living abroad doesn’t change the cost of the stream so why the differential on price? That’s a massive billy bargain

greenplumber

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jun 10, 2015
This is the 1st time l have had i follow and found the streaming to be very good, just an odd occasion about the sound but other than that it has been good.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's quite a difference, overseas £3.26 per game for all games home and away, whereas a season ticket holder is paying £17.17 per home game.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agreed. And not to put words in their mouth, but I'd be surprised if those people would have an issue in paying a bit more.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
The streaming option has been available to overseas subscribers for a few years now. I don't know why the price level was set as it was originally. Like I said in my earlier post, nobody was complaining because it was all just extra revenue to the club compared to before, when we had no way of being there.

Then Covid hit, and a similar option was made available to UK fans who couldn't be there. You are right that the service is no different between UK and abroad, but the question should be why is the cost so high in the UK. I guess it's because it's seen as a a short term solution for those that usually spend £20 (say) on a match ticket.

Overseas works out at about £3.25 per game over the whole season. If you want to make the prices roughly equal, you'd have to either treble the overseas cost (I wouldn't subscribe at that price), double the overseas cost and reduce the UK cost (I'd pay that, but it would result in a net loss to the club I'd imagine), or reduce the UK cost to the same as overseas (which would barely bring anything in to the club at all).

I can understand why UK subscribers think it isn't fair, but the idea was that it's short term, and when you're all allowed back in stadiums to watch football I would much rather be in your shoes paying £20 a pop and having the whole experience than watching alone in my lounge.

Aug 10, 2006
never had a problem with I follow first 4 games this season then never watched 1 minute of the wombles game same computer same internet speed didn't bother with the shrews game clearly I follow cannot cope with demand.