#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Knibbsworth":1j9nteny said:
When McCormick left, he spoke of working with Mike Cooper for the first time aged 16 or so, turning to the GK coach and saying 'this lad is gonna keep me on my toes', or words to that effect.

Perhaps he has quite a good mentoring relationship with Cooper and that was instrumental to bringing Luke back.

Yep, and he said he was the best teenage keeper he'd ever seen.

Ryan Lowe said in today's press conference he could be one of the best in the country, so fingers crossed we could have a real gem here.

May 8, 2011
Biggs":34klofnj said:
Knibbsworth":34klofnj said:
When McCormick left, he spoke of working with Mike Cooper for the first time aged 16 or so, turning to the GK coach and saying 'this lad is gonna keep me on my toes', or words to that effect.

Perhaps he has quite a good mentoring relationship with Cooper and that was instrumental to bringing Luke back.

Yep, and he said he was the best teenage keeper he'd ever seen.

Ryan Lowe said in today's press conference he could be one of the best in the country, so fingers crossed we could have a real gem here.

Cooper isn’t a teenager.

The talent and potential of Cooper has been known for years, that is why he was given a 2 year contract back in 2018 when he was a teenager.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
HC Green":3949ekv4 said:
Cooper isn’t a teenager.

The talent and potential of Cooper has been known for years, that is why he was given a 2 year contract back in 2018 when he was a teenager.

I am aware he’s not a teenager, Luke clearly said that when he WAS a teenager. What’s the point of picking up on that?

Ah 2018... I see :problem:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Phil Mallett":1zwspx0p said:
Bovey-Green lady":1zwspx0p said:
Having been an Argyle supporter since my childhood in the 1950's ,and having considered overnight the issue of Luke McCormick's return to the club I have loved all these years, I feel compelled to comment.
Before any of the "we should not go within a mile of Luke McCormick" posters write me off as an aged, wet , do-gooder, I want to set that perception straight from the outset. I have spent my entire 30+ year legal career in the Criminal Justice system, most recently as a senior CPS lawyer. I have also served as a member of the Young Offenders' Referral Panel.
Luke McCormick has served his time for the offence he committed. Any offender who walks free from the gate of a prison at the end of his sentence, is encouraged to rehabilitate himself within society . Luke has clearly done well in that respect, both with his career on the field and with the work he has done in the wider community. Should he not be given credit for this? The majority of ex-offenders , assuming they have regained employment, do not have to carry out their work in an atmosphere of aggression where they will be jeered and verbally abused as they endeavour to earn their living. Should he not also be given credit for the way he has never risen to the taunting aggression he has faced? On the contrary he has behaved with commendable dignity.
Clearly, he committed an extremely serious crime, but he is not a "career criminal". He is now a mature man who, in his youth, made an appalling mistake, with horrendous consequences. Can any Pasoti member honestly say they made no errors of judgement in their youth? Fortunately for most of us, our mistakes did not result in such a ghastly outcome.
Luke McCormick obviously loves "our" club as we do. He clearly has a lot to offer the club, in ways other members have detailed. None of us can ever "forgive" what he did, only the family involved have that right. My years of experience tell me that he will be unable to forgive himself.
Can we not, now, welcome him back to the club which means so much to him? IMHO, we should be prepared to do just that. Welcome back, Luke, to our Argyle family.

Well said, dear Lady. :nworthy:

He should be tarred, feathered, thrown in the stocks and have rotten tomatoes chucked at him.

Oldage I’m talking about :lol:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Bovey-Green lady":2dmhddqw said:
Having been an Argyle supporter since my childhood in the 1950's ,and having considered overnight the issue of Luke McCormick's return to the club I have loved all these years, I feel compelled to comment.
Before any of the "we should not go within a mile of Luke McCormick" posters write me off as an aged, wet , do-gooder, I want to set that perception straight from the outset. I have spent my entire 30+ year legal career in the Criminal Justice system, most recently as a senior CPS lawyer. I have also served as a member of the Young Offenders' Referral Panel.
Luke McCormick has served his time for the offence he committed. Any offender who walks free from the gate of a prison at the end of his sentence, is encouraged to rehabilitate himself within society . Luke has clearly done well in that respect, both with his career on the field and with the work he has done in the wider community. Should he not be given credit for this? The majority of ex-offenders , assuming they have regained employment, do not have to carry out their work in an atmosphere of aggression where they will be jeered and verbally abused as they endeavour to earn their living. Should he not also be given credit for the way he has never risen to the taunting aggression he has faced? On the contrary he has behaved with commendable dignity.
Clearly, he committed an extremely serious crime, but he is not a "career criminal". He is now a mature man who, in his youth, made an appalling mistake, with horrendous consequences. Can any Pasoti member honestly say they made no errors of judgement in their youth? Fortunately for most of us, our mistakes did not result in such a ghastly outcome.
Luke McCormick obviously loves "our" club as we do. He clearly has a lot to offer the club, in ways other members have detailed. None of us can ever "forgive" what he did, only the family involved have that right. My years of experience tell me that he will be unable to forgive himself.
Can we not, now, welcome him back to the club which means so much to him? IMHO, we should be prepared to do just that. Welcome back, Luke, to our Argyle family.
:clap: commendable post. :nworthy:

Jun 27, 2019
Has anyone on here actually seen Cooper play more than a couple of games? It's strange that most comments on his ability are hearsay and second-hand.

It's pretty rare for a keeper at any level to make the first-team at 20 years of age, so I'm assuming he's the real deal even though I've never seen him play a single minute.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Bovey-Green lady":5w47913g said:
I believe that you have, very clearly, articulated the opinion of the vast majority of Argyle supporters.
Welcome back, Luke!!!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
WoodsyGreen":mmegb6fd said:
Has anyone on here actually seen Cooper play more than a couple of games? It's strange that most comments on his ability are hearsay and second-hand.

It's pretty rare for a keeper at any level to make the first-team at 20 years of age, so I'm assuming he's the real deal even though I've never seen him play a single minute.

I’m usually one to play down our youth players, however I’ve seen Michael Cooper at youth level a number of times and he is a very good goalkeeper. I thought he was ready to play two years ago when Macey/Letheren were crap, and he is only likely to improved since then. He has generally performed well when he has played in the Cup games and development games as well, barring one poor performance earlier this season.

Of course it is a gamble, but if you’re good enough you’re old enough and I trust the judgment of the coaching staff.

Jun 27, 2019
Nobby":3g118785 said:
WoodsyGreen":3g118785 said:

I’m usually one to play down our youth players, however I’ve seen Michael Cooper at youth level a number of times and he is a very good goalkeeper. I thought he was ready to play two years ago when Macey/Letheren were crap, and he is only likely to improved since then. He has generally performed well when he has played in the Cup games and development games as well, barring one poor performance earlier this season.

Of course it is a gamble, but if you’re good enough you’re old enough and I trust the judgment of the coaching staff.

Thanks, Nobby. Good to hear a first-hand view.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Bovey-Green lady":1zfduxnu said:

This is the most sensible, balanced and articulate posts I've seen on the subject of Luke. I wholeheartedly agree and welcome Luke back aboard the good ship Mayflower.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
WoodsyGreen":3mtwthav said:

i have seen him play about twenty times.he is destined for the premier league,hopefully with us,if he transfers it will be millions of pounds,an outanding player with a superb attitude.i also think he will play for England.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
Bovey-Green lady":3vnyi3e3 said:

With everyones harsh posts you would think he had only just got out of prison lol!!

Jesus christ he's been out for years now, been back to us, and been with other clubs, he's now coming back for a third time which in my eyes is brilliant! I'm over the moon and so should everyone else be! He's a credit to our football club, a living legend that gives his absolute all for us!!

Oct 31, 2015
Bovey-Green lady":386n16t2 said:

Post of the year. Well articulated and put forward. :nworthy:

There will be some who have never made a mistake in their life (or think they haven't :whistle: )but this post absolutely spells out the real world. :clap:

Jun 27, 2019
It's a good post, but for some this is an emotive issue rather than a rational one.

Do I think McCormick deserves the same right to rehabilitation as other former convicts? Yes.
Do I think he should be allowed to continue his career as a pro footballer? Yes.
Do I believe he's remorseful and has made efforts to atone for his horrendous mistake? Yes.
Do I believe his experience will prove invaluable to Michael Cooper's development? Yes.
Do I, as the father of two young boys, want to watch him playing for Argyle? No.

You can pen the most articulate and compassionate defence for his right to rehabilitation, but some people will never be able to see past his mistake on a visceral emotional level that is not open to reason.

I won't be boycotting matches due to his signing, but I'll also sit on my hands when his name is read out and won't be able to bring myself to applaud even the best of saves. That said, I also won't judge anyone who does the opposite because that is their right.