#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs) | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs)

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
WoodsyGreen":3j8np1c9 said:
It's a good post, but for some this is an emotive issue rather than a rational one.

Do I think McCormick deserves the same right to rehabilitation as other former convicts? Yes.
Do I think he should be allowed to continue his career as a pro footballer? Yes.
Do I believe he's remorseful and has made efforts to atone for his horrendous mistake? Yes.
Do I believe his experience will prove invaluable to Michael Cooper's development? Yes.
Do I, as the father of two young boys, want to watch him playing for Argyle? No.

You can pen the most articulate and compassionate defence for his right to rehabilitation, but some people will never be able to see past his mistake on a visceral emotional level that is not open to reason.

I won't be boycotting matches due to his signing, but I'll also sit on my hands when his name is read out and won't be able to bring myself to applaud even the best of saves. That said, I also won't judge anyone who does the opposite because that is their right.

That’s a fair and balanced post Woodsy. My only problem with him is I can’t see why we're signing him!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
McCormick will provide support, competition and backup to Cooper.

In return he will draw a relevantly low wage and get the time and support to work towards his badges.

Win / win

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
argyleforever":2myf3get said:
£1800 a week isn't that low

I hope not

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Steve Evans":3438dkt9 said:
WoodsyGreen":3438dkt9 said:
Has anyone on here actually seen Cooper play more than a couple of games? It's strange that most comments on his ability are hearsay and second-hand.

It's pretty rare for a keeper at any level to make the first-team at 20 years of age, so I'm assuming he's the real deal even though I've never seen him play a single minute.
i have seen him play about twenty times.he is destined for the premier league,hopefully with us,if he transfers it will be millions of pounds,an outanding player with a superb attitude.i also think he will play for England.

Didn’t you say that about Beswetherick Steve? :whistle:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Devongreenowl":ru90ptz3 said:
Steve Evans":ru90ptz3 said:
WoodsyGreen":ru90ptz3 said:
Has anyone on here actually seen Cooper play more than a couple of games? It's strange that most comments on his ability are hearsay and second-hand.

It's pretty rare for a keeper at any level to make the first-team at 20 years of age, so I'm assuming he's the real deal even though I've never seen him play a single minute.
i have seen him play about twenty times.he is destined for the premier league,hopefully with us,if he transfers it will be millions of pounds,an outanding player with a superb attitude.i also think he will play for England.

can't remember mate.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Devongreenowl":seaxi5d1 said:
Steve Evans":seaxi5d1 said:
WoodsyGreen":seaxi5d1 said:

I was in the away end at Blackburn when Cooper came on at half time.
My feelings developed over the next 45 minutes:
Before the 2nd half kick off - "Well, we've lost this now. Hope Cooper does ok"
10 minutes into 2nd half - "Wow, this kid is good"
30 minutes into 2nd half - "Wow, this kid is brilliant"
Full time, a 2nd half clean sheet, an overwhelming gut feeling - "This kid will play for England".
I don't know where that overwhelming feeling came from, it was just 45 minutes and a clean sheet in League 1, it shouldn't have been enough to generate that feeling ... but it did !
I have no doubts whatsoever that Cooper will play for England, and smile when I think that nearly every Argyle fan has no idea how much of a special player we have, but they are going to find out !

(And, maybe it would be just a little bit of positive karma for Luke McCormick to play a part in developing a future England keeper - he has a lot to make up for)

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I thought he had pulled off a Gordon Banks esque save at the end only to find out on watching the highlights that it was an amazing goal line clearance by Taylor-Sinclair . :lol:

Cooper's coolness at Blackburn was something to behold. I thought, watching him warm up at half time, we're gonna get stuffed. How wrong was I. He was magnificent.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Anyone who remembers seeing Alan Nicholls play in goal for Argyle will know that age and inexperience are not necessarily barriers to being a fantastic goalkeeper. Nichols was 20 when he joined Argyle and was picked for England U21s.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
The Doctor":lx7kdbse said:
Anyone who remembers seeing Alan Nicholls play in goal for Argyle will know that age and inexperience are not necessarily barriers to being a fantastic goalkeeper. Nichols was 20 when he joined Argyle and was picked for England U21s.
remember that and the arsenal 'keeper (not matt macey),can't bring his name to mind at the moment,an outstanding 'keeper who retired early through injury.
Mike will play in the prem in my opinion.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Steve Evans":n5beuo3p said:
The Doctor":n5beuo3p said:
remember that and the arsenal 'keeper (not matt macey),can't bring his name to mind at the moment,an outstanding 'keeper who retired early through injury.
Mike will play in the prem in my opinion.

Alan Miller

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
People seemed to have forgotten we had two inexperienced keepers last season. Alex Palmer had only made two EFL starts before our opening day game at Crewe.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I've seen Mike Cooper plenty of times and regard him as very capable. I wouldn't go as far as Steve Evans and say he's going to play for England (he might) but I think he's got a good future in the game and his time has come.

Apr 12, 2016
Having seen Cooper a number of times he clearly has real potential but as with all young players with potential he will need good support and guidance. Luke and Rhys Wilmot plus Ryan Lowe will be ideal for him.

Jun 27, 2019
If Cooper was potential England quality then a Premier League club would have snapped him up by now. Some might say us fans wouldn't know if a bid had been made, but if he really was that good then a big club would think nothing of spending, say, £2m on him - which isn't a figure we'd turn down.

I'm not saying he isn't promising but to say he's a future England keeper is probably a bit of an exaggeration at this stage.