Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge

Sep 25, 2010
Good example Collina used to go up to a player, with those ‘staring’ eyes, and shove a yellow card up there nose.

Nobody has ever suggested he should be sacked. He got a reputation that ‘you don’t mess with him’, and accepted his decision, (right or wrong).

Judge didn’t like the decision, because he was booked for simulation. (Right or wrong). And confronted the referee, which is NOT allowed to do. Good for the referee to stand his ground.

Sep 25, 2010
IJN":2aoz768j said:
Lundan Cabbie":2aoz768j said:
IJN":2aoz768j said:
Needs to be sacked.

He's there to officiate nothing else.

Another ref' who can't understand he's not part of the entertainment.

A player would get a three match ban but a referee should be sacked? If the player had accepted that the ref is there to officiate then there would be no incident.

He's a 'personality ref' - Needs to be sacked.

Good refs need to be seen and not heard, he's the opposite of that. Probably a frustrated and crap player like most referees are. Should be booted out and given a VAR job (driving the van).

Ian,I agree with most things you say, but to be sacked for that is to me, over the top.

Judge did not go to him ‘quietly’, he was probably telling him in no uncertain terms, what he thought of him and his decision.

The referee stayed there, and stood his ground, full credit to him.

By the way, not all referees are frustrated and ex crap players.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":stp7agbf said:
Lundan Cabbie":stp7agbf said:
IJN":stp7agbf said:
Needs to be sacked.

A player would get a three match ban but a referee should be sacked? If the player had accepted that the ref is there to officiate then there would be no incident.

Good refs need to be seen and not heard, he's the opposite of that. Probably a frustrated and crap player like most referees are. Should be booted out and given a VAR job (driving the van).

The phrase "good refs are seen and not heard" is a fairy tale. The referees that we don't notice are the ones that don't have to intervene because the players give him no reason to get involved.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Refs are there not just to apply the rules but to regulate conduct and that involves example setting. They must be held to a higher standard of conduct because they have the power to punish through decisions and yellow/red cards. Players don’t. To compare their behaviour is silly. I can’t see how this can go without a serious sanction for him.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Nothing wrong here in my view.

Instead of reprimanding the ref, how about the FA finally take a stance against intimidation and a total disrespect for officials that has become far too commonplace in the game. How often do you still see profanities hurled at refs and players huddling around them? The other day during their game at West Brom, 4 or 5 Man Utd players screamed at the ref all because he had the audacity to blow up for half-time....because it was half time!

It's about time a ref stood up to the players and if the FA won't protect them, they have to defend themselves.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Judge was booked for dissent not diving. The ref whistled ages after the event.

Judge no doubt had been on his case ever since he came on as sub (half time I believe). He was like that at Home Park with the ref that day. Refs are human I guess and he finally cracked, I had a similar thing as a player 30 odd years ago (I used to chip away at the ref) and it shocked everyone and calmed the game down strangely.

No excuse for it though, as a professional ref (or even if he was a local parks ref) he has to be above that. Too much testosterone out there thank goodness Lloyd Jones came to the rescue and sorted it out

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
My immediate judgement (pun slippef in there) was that the referee was completely wrong to react BUT I also thought that Judge must have crossed a line with something he said. We often see heavy challenges where players accept it as part of the game. But every now and again there is an immediate reaction to a particularly nasty one. And that's the same kind of reaction I saw from the ref - that someone had crossed a line of acceptability.

Oct 14, 2015
The FA cannot be seen to do nothing about it as it’ll cause further issues not only in the professional game but all standards of football when it returns after lockdown. Refs doing similar or worse when faced with a mouthful of abuse. However there has to be a full investigation into what was said and by who.

The ref had to be more professional in his actions there’s no doubt about that but we’re all human and sometimes people can say or do things that makes even the calmest lose it.

In one moment of madness he’s likely to have lost his job and yes I do have a bit of sympathy for him.

Jun 24, 2008
Something of nothing in my opinion but the worlds a flakey place now and in FA language "He may have brought the game into disrepute" so will likely be heavily punished. He's a human with his own emotions. All a bit dramatic though, c'mon...

Lundan Cabbie":39ibwxr8 said:
IJN":39ibwxr8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":39ibwxr8 said:
IJN":39ibwxr8 said:
Needs to be sacked.

The phrase "good refs are seen and not heard" is a fairy tale. The referees that we don't notice are the ones that don't have to intervene because the players give him no reason to get involved.

So you wouldn't give refs any credit at all for a calming influence, a quiet word, running the game in a good spirit ? Some referees manage plenty of games every season where they issue no cards at all - but to you, they're presumably just lucky ?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Firstly, let me say i'm very much in the "there are some bad referees" camp - Refs like Charles Brakespear show more cards year after year - thats not because players behave worse in the games he referee's - the law of averages tells you thats not possible - he is just an individual that cannot help getting involved.

This particular instance it is unprofessional and he'll have to take whatever punishment is dished out on the chin, however player behaviour is truly diabolical, its cease pit stuff that has gone unpunished for years. Fergie and Jose spotted the weakness in the games authorities to help referee's so instructed their players to challenge and intimidate referees at every opportunity, the FA/UEFA have had ample opportunity to address it and chose to do so in the weakest ways possible. Since then every manager/coach and team have seen it, so they all do, its now just the norm.

The "no crowd" option on Sky lets you hear far more than you normally would, lets be honest if you gave a Rugby referee,with excellent knowledge of football a premier league game this weekend and asked him to referee ill-discipline in the way he normally would you'd end up with a game of 7 a side.

Until the authorities give referee's backing to be incredibly strict and support them in all cases of foul and abusive language, then incidents like this will occur.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The only thing that surprises me is that this doesn't happen more often.
Agree with another post that says there are obviously some poor referees out there, but with the constant mobbing that some of them get, usually from the same teams coincidentally, it's a wonder more refs haven't had the red mist descend if they're being berated by 5, 6, 7 players. Yes they should maintain composure but they are human and everyone has a snapping point

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Wasn't there a rule last season about touching touching red brings an instant yellow?

Cant see why mobbing the ref can't be banned. Like others have said it's getting unacceptable and it does influence some decisions.

Players and managers need to start behaving like adults if football is ever going to lose its thuggish appearance