Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge

Mar 29, 2011
Players have been permanently suspended for violence towards referees and this continues each year. The only way to continue the progress towards decreasing the figure is fairness both ways.

We all know how the human race react, if a referee gets away with it, the players will deem this acceptable too.

I was once in a game where a referee and a player had a fight (albeit it was a 6 a side league). The referee made antagonising comments towards the player and continued to do so. The player snapped and launched a punch. They both had a few extra swings. The referee was back the next week and the player eventually had his ban overturned 8 years later. He was banned from ALL FOOTBALL. This was fully justified.

This situation sounds no different, but the other way around. The rules must be consistent.

The below example goes against everything I’ve just said, but here’s an example from BBC Sport.

“Marcus Martin: St Austell player banned for 27 months after admitting improper conduct”

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
djg145":2woykycy said:
He is RAF, just not used to dealing with spoilt Civilians :)
Probably found both his tours to Afghanistan safer than refereeing!!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I would have also given yellows to the other two Ipswich players involved for man handling him. :)

Jun 27, 2019
I've refereed - albeit only at youth level. It's really bloody hard. There was a case in my most recent game when a striker had his shirt pulled in the area but someone ran across my line of vision at the exact moment the foul happened. I was told by lots of people afterwards that it was the most blatant penalty of all time and I looked like a total idiot for not giving it - even though I just didn't see it (probably my fault for bad positioning).

Even blowing for a foul can be tricky. The game moves so quickly that by the time you've put the whistle to your lips the players have carried on and the moment has gone.

Point being, it's a stressful job but nobody really understands that side of it. You're permanently on edge and if a player had a pop at me I'd be inclined to have a pop back.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I have had exactly the same experience as woodsy as a callow 20 something referee in his first season in the Basildon and district Saturday League.

The player fouled brought me my half time orange and asked why I hadn't given the free kick. When I explained he gave me probably the only compliment I ever received mid game....saying that explained it because I was too good a ref to have missed it.

I felt quite bad when I booked him second half for a foul but he just smiled and said something along the lines of , so you saw that one then.

My first ever game as a ref was a needle match and I was absolutely losing control until a sixth sense made me turn around and see a striker lay out his marker off the ball. Sending off and free kick , followed by a quick booking for dissent for the noisy centre half who was their captain after I awarded a penalty against him and I managed to convince myself to continue refereeing.

The one thing I learned very quickly was never change your mind. I was refereeing a friendly for the Ford Office team I played for and gave a free kick , then realised I was wrong and changed it to a drop ball. Every decision after than , was met with "You sure ref?" Drop ball ref? etc etc. After that if I got an argument it was always , thats the decision, get on with it or off we go. Both sides as well...even my colleagues.

But I loved refereeing in the end.....I was always going to be a better referee than I could be a player....and it was the best crash course in man management any 22 year old could have had.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
memory man":3hdmmash said:
djg145":3hdmmash said:

Much safer.........

He would have been staying in a 5* hotel, miles away from any conflict.......

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
stewthenoo":2wc92xgl said:
memory man":2wc92xgl said:
djg145":2wc92xgl said:

Much safer.........

Do they have 5* hotels in Afghanistan?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Emu":2sv023pt said:
stewthenoo":2sv023pt said:
memory man":2sv023pt said:
djg145":2sv023pt said:

Much safer.........

Do they have 5* hotels in Afghanistan?

They have a few high quality international hotels, but they are far from safe or free from conflict

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-mid ... t-46926982

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I too think the referee was justified but it sets a dangerous precedent if he is not reprimanded in some form (a fine or short suspension at the most). Individuals in authority are paid to remain composed in such situations. You wouldn’t expect a copper to act like that without any suffering any repercussions... well, maybe you would.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Argyle?

Na?

Chow...

Oct 31, 2015
I feel for the bloke tbh. Yea he is not the best ref we have seen but the dogs abuse they get is just tedious.

I know it wouldn't be tolerated in any other work place so why should football refs have to put up with.

He was wrong in this instance, has put his hands up and will take his punishment.

The FA need to support the officials to bring in a rugby style authority. This lads can really control the thugs on a rugby field and they get respect for doing it.

Too long football players have got away with it.

Saying all that it won't stop because the primos on the pitch think they are beyond reproach.

Sep 25, 2010
rsp4":1noha2od said:
I feel for the bloke tbh. Yea he is not the best ref we have seen but the dogs abuse they get is just tedious.

I know it wouldn't be tolerated in any other work place so why should football refs have to put up with.

He was wrong in this instance, has put his hands up and will take his punishment.

The FA need to support the officials to bring in a rugby style authority. This lads can really control the thugs on a rugby field and they get respect for doing it.

Too long football players have got away with it.

Saying all that it won't stop because the primos on the pitch think they are beyond reproach.

Totally agree with the above, plus the abuse they get from managers as well, Lambert hasn’t covered himself in respect on this.