Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ipswich referee incident with Alan Judge

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Refereeing is getting harder and harder.

No respect from the pampered, spoilt players with their verbal abuse and constant cheating, including Judge last night.

These problems are compounded by Managers who encourage their players bad behaviour, the worst culprits being Ferguson and Mourinho who set the standard for other Managers to follow. There is little help for Referees from the football authorities or the morally bankrupt PFA.

However, I don't have much sympathy for Darren Drysdale and not just because of the crap penalty he couldn't wait to give Exeter last season.

He is possibly the worst Referee since Roger Kirkpatrick for his flamboyant showmanship. He seems to think the fans have come to watch him, not the 2 teams.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
demportdave":1crogzbi said:
Refereeing is getting harder and harder.

No respect from the pampered, spoilt players with their verbal abuse and constant cheating, including Judge last night.

These problems are compounded by Managers who encourage their players bad behaviour, the worst culprits being Ferguson and Mourinho who set the standard for other Managers to follow. There is little help for Referees from the football authorities or the morally bankrupt PFA.

However, I don't have much sympathy for Darren Drysdale and not just because of the crap penalty he couldn't wait to give Exeter last season.

He is possibly the worst Referee since Roger Kirkpatrick for his flamboyant showmanship. He seems to think the fans have come to watch him, not the 2 teams.

Do footy fans go to watch TWO teams? Even on PASOTI we have "Argyle MotM" and "Rate the Referee" but never any rating of the other team's players..... because nobody cares about the opponents.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
IJN":1bqahhex said:
Lundan Cabbie":1bqahhex said:
IJN":1bqahhex said:
Needs to be sacked.

He's there to officiate nothing else.

Another ref' who can't understand he's not part of the entertainment.

A player would get a three match ban but a referee should be sacked? If the player had accepted that the ref is there to officiate then there would be no incident.

He's a 'personality ref' - Needs to be sacked.

Good refs need to be seen and not heard, he's the opposite of that. Probably a frustrated and crap player like most referees are. Should be booted out and given a VAR job (driving the van).

Blimey Ian, where would we be without refs? What this guy did was wrong and he's owned up to it, but the disrespect players show towards refs is appalling. I think I'd snap if I was getting abuse week after week from players and fans. They are not the enemy although football culture has characterised them as just that.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
He's not right down in the "clown tier" of referees (Kettle, Hooper and Sarginson the liar) imo, however as others have alluded to, he has a real tendency to make it all about him.

In that Coventry game mentioned earlier on this thread, last minute, Taylor fouled in the box. Drysdale whistles, runs to the incident, pauses for at least 3 seconds to make sure the entire ground is looking at him... and then dramatically points the other way for simulation.

He deserves a reprimand for the Judge incident - players get 3 match bans for such and therefore he should get penalised too. Definitely not worthy of being sacked though.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Players do not get 3 game bans for squaring up to each other at all.

He was thrown under the bus by pgmol yesterday and the FA are going to do that to him too.

I wonder whether this guy was made to apologise for this?

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/8 ... 69/video/1

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Daz":1vsrorvh said:
Players do not get 3 game bans for squaring up to each other at all.

He was thrown under the bus by pgmol yesterday and the FA are going to do that to him too.

I wonder whether this guy was made to apologise for this?

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/8 ... 69/video/1
Sticking your head in someone's face, even without a great deal of force, would get you red carded (and a 3 match ban for violent conduct). Of course it is sometimes helped along by a pathetic fall to the floor from the opposition player (see Sarcevic vs Madden a few years ago), which I'd hope referees do not factor in, but it isn't something you can get away with on a football pitch any more.

Oct 2, 2017
Cult Of Personality":13qu08rc said:
When i see people saying good on the ref for squaring up i cringe. The ref and his team should be above that . You dont see a rugby ref squaring up to a prop do you. They stand back watch what happens and then speak to people involved like adults but in a firm no answering back way.

What Drysdale did was inflame the situation and he should be sacked

Agree the officials should be above such behaviour, but this is the only instance of this I've ever been aware of in over 50 years of watching, playing and refereeing in football. Calling for Drysdale to be sacked seems OTT to me. He needs to be suspended and work his way back up from lower leagues.

The point about refs talking to rugby players like adults is a good one... if only footballers treated officials with as much respect as rugby players do.... With the way so many footballers from so many teams surround and intimidate refs, I'm just amazed that no ref has 'cracked' a little before. Doesn't make it right what he did, but let's have some perspective?

Jan 27, 2012
Obviously the referee shouldn’t have done that, but he’s only human. Referees get terrible verbal abuse from fans, players and coaching staff. Plus constant criticism in the media. Its a tough job and without referees there can be no game, Its not surprising that Drysdale snapped for a few seconds and this shouldn’t end his career. Punishment enough would be to suspend him for a little while. Paul Lambert and his players are hardly saints themselves.

And let’s remember that footballers (including Argyle footballers) are probably the biggest cheats in sport- in what other sport is it normal for the athletes to pretend to be injured in order to get the other athletes in trouble?

Aug 17, 2005
The ref took the opinion that Judge had dived. Having watched it several times I wouldnt of like ti make the decision and thats with the benefit of several times seeing it unlike the ref who had to make an instant decision. Maybe in the back of my mind is an instance involving Judge from the past whilst playing for us. A penalty was awarded against us, unfairly given was the opinion at rhe time. Judge from the kick off took the ball straight into the oppositions penalty area and went over in similar fashion. Argyle crowd were ecstatic as Mike said to me at the time he was very clever in what he done..

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Everyone is human & the constant dog"s abuse that refs get it's not surprising that one of them has cracked. I'm just surprised it hasn't happened earlier.