Is Macey the best keeper we have? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Macey the best keeper we have?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Balham_Green":39vhz6e0 said:
So how often have you actually seen Cooper or Letheren?
more than once in both cases and both these chaps are infinitely better than matt macey.what are matt maceys strong points in your opinion please?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Steve Evans":f38e3mpj said:
Balham_Green":f38e3mpj said:
more than once in both cases and both these chaps are infinitely better than matt macey.what are matt maceys strong points in your opinion please?
So twice?

Surely if they were both as good and ready as you suggest Adams would have they involved?

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":1cbxufcq said:
Balham_Green":1cbxufcq said:

Good shot stopper. Quite important really!. Has stopped more shots than any other keeper in the Division

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Balham_Green":btjed85w said:
Steve Evans":btjed85w said:
Balham_Green":btjed85w said:

Good shot stopper. Quite important really!. Has stopped more shots than any other keeper in the Division
:funny: what about catching the ball,his kicking,commanding the area,directing players in front of him and getting beaten at the near post more than once this season?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
For the 1st goal, ASB should have cleared the ball, ergo no goal, for the second goal Canavan should have hoofed the ball as far away as possible instead of a stooping header into the deck. When keeper is only able to parry a stinging shot then it is hoped the defence will further clear.

Jul 12, 2011
Mountwise Plymouth
Being an ex keeper myself I am baffled with how quiet he is and that he rarely strays away from his line.

I can't imagine he gives his back line much confidence.

I would love Kello Roos or Remi Matthews back, the keeper and back 4 need addressing in January if we are to have any hope of survival.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
YES Macey is our best goal keeper.
Letheren looked absolutely awful on his last couple of outings and seriously over weight
Cooper is a young prospect not ready to have his confidence totally shattered behind our woeful defence

Macey is not the real problem, the absolute shit3 defence is the biggest problem and he is being dragged into the same conversation now.
Yes his kicking is weak and yes he doesn't shout a lot but neither of those items make him culpable for the woeful defending and goals conceded IMHO.
As another poster has said even David de Gea would look ordinary in this team.

Given we will have a limited if any budget to spend in January we need to concentrate on 4 half decent defenders before a GK

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
First 2 goals came from defensive fails the 3rd Macey should have done a lot better.

Edwards for the 2nd time this season failed kick an easy ball and let a striker in on goal for the first.

Canavan should have smacked not headed his clearance for the 2nd (ironically something Mellor was bad for doing).

Macey should have come off his line ages before he did for the 3rd then committed to coming forward. He delayed then stopped, giving the striker plenty of time.

Is he the best we have? Maybe. Do we need better? Without a doubt.

The defence are on edge because of their keeper and the keeper is on edge because of the defence.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Glynn":2t1mdyhd said:
Being an ex keeper myself I am baffled with how quiet he is and that he rarely strays away from his line.

I can't imagine he gives his back line much confidence.

I would love Kello Roos or Remi Matthews back, the keeper and back 4 need addressing in January if we are to have any hope of survival.

Agree.

Aug 5, 2016
philevs":vdu71txv said:
Pretty unimpressed with his performance yesterday once again.
First of all, he’s a superb shot-stopper. Yet there’s more to being a good keeper than that alone.
Parried two shots out right into the danger zone for their first two goals, didn’t come out enough to attempt to block the shot for their third, scuffed an attempted clearance yet again right to one of their strikers in our half, doesn’t appear to inspire confidence in any of the defenders.
People go on about our poor defending, which is right, but where does it all begin?

Seems very harsh to me to blame him for the first two goals. Preventable shots that were not followed up by our defence, a case of the opposition attack wanting it more. The alternative to parrying them was catching, which seems a high standard to expect considering he did well to react to the shot at all. The third goal was a calamity of timing and judgement. I do agree he is not the best keeper, and behind Roos and Matthews but some of these goals aren't his fault and a change of keeper won't fix it.

Oct 5, 2013
Surely if they were both as good and ready as you suggest Adams would have they involved?[/quote]

Perhaps Macey is very good in training, so DA keeps picking him on that?
If Letheren was as bad as some on here say, how come he did well at the start of our good run last season? Also, what does that say about DA’s judgment if he’s crap but keeps getting on our bench? I dob’t Believe he can be crap!