Is Macey the best keeper we have? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Macey the best keeper we have?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Shocking 'keeper, if he's the "best we have" come February we're already down.

Our defence is no better but it's not a coincidence that with him in goal no matter which four defenders you put in front of him they all look clueless and lacking any confidence. He's completely silent, he's afraid to go up for crosses, he's hesitant coming off his line, he can't catch the ball, he's everything you don't want behind a young inexperienced defence because he offers no security for them.

Please Adams, put in Letheren; he may not technically be the best 'keeper in the league but he's an experienced head who knows how to organise the defence in front of him. With the defence you've brought in you need that above all else, they aren't confident or experienced enough to carry the keeper.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Just watched the highlights. Not sure how you can blame Macey for any of them. Schoolboy defending all round which has nothing to do with him being unable to organise, collect crosses etc.

Macey isn’t without fault, but he’s essentially one man against the world in our team at the moment. Matthews, Roos, McCormick etc would be no better off.

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":1gawkt0b said:

Our defence is no better but it's not a coincidence that with him in goal no matter which four defenders you put in front of him they all look clueless and lacking any confidence. He's completely silent, he's afraid to go up for crosses, he's hesitant coming off his line, he can't catch the ball, he's everything you don't want behind a young inexperienced defence because he offers no security for them.

Please Adams, put in Letheren; he may not technically be the best 'keeper in the league but he's an experienced head who knows how to organise the defence in front of him. With the defence you've brought in you need that above all else, they aren't confident or experienced enough to carry the keeper.

Ah so you just need an experienced organiser. I see. I can do that and am available next Saturday.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I thought Roos was our best keeper last season, I wonder what the chances are of getting him in on another loan deal.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
We desperately need to drop him or return him, either’s fine with me. I thought we’d have to wait until January to do this, but this thread has convinced me that using Letheren in the meantime is still our best option.

He’s proving a liability who’s at fault for the majority of the goals we concede. We all share similar thoughts on our struggling back four, and a Matthews or a Roos wouldn’t keep a clean sheet but they would be keeping out a lot more than Macey can; the guy just isn’t good enough.

We can take yesterday’s Bradford City game as an example. Enough was enough after watching Macey parry a comfortable attempt into their striker’s path twice in the first 18 minutes, while the City keeper was tipping the ball out for corners, or recovering quickly to react and save again from the rebound. The poor guy still conceded three goals, but it was tough to ask much more of him with a defence even worse than Argyle’s in front of him! If we hadn’t conceded the silly goals at the start, we would have earned the comfortable win most sides in our division would have against Bradford.

Oct 19, 2013
Mackey is a perfectly reasonable league 1 keeper I think. He has big flaws but he does other things better than you'd expect at this level, so overall he's decent, with as others have said some obvious potential improvement areas which could be worked on and his height and his reflexes which are great weapons for him. i reckon we should stick with him.

Oct 5, 2013
Nobby said:
Just watched the highlights. Not sure how you can blame Macey for any of them. Schoolboy defending all round which has nothing to do with him being unable to organise, collect crosses etc. (quote)

Hello Nobby, do you really mean that you don’t understand how Macey could have done better for any of their goals?
Wow!
Can only suggest you try and get an interview with the man himself, and ask him whether he thinks he might have done better!

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Yes, he is the best 'keeper on our books and would be surprised if Arsenal are not paying most of his wages. No reason for him to be dropped and no chance of it happening, injury aside.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Nobby":3gf945ms said:
Just watched the highlights. Not sure how you can blame Macey for any of them. Schoolboy defending all round which has nothing to do with him being unable to organise, collect crosses etc.

Macey isn’t without fault, but he’s essentially one man against the world in our team at the moment. Matthews, Roos, McCormick etc would be no better off.

Exactly.

Macey is a good keeper. Some of the posts on here are completely unrealistic.

Mar 23, 2008
Justin":15ii69fk said:
Nobby":15ii69fk said:

Exactly.

Macey is a good keeper. Some of the posts on here are completely unrealistic.
I don't see how they are unrealistic when the view is that the keepers we had last year are better than Macey. I would have Letheren in and feel Luke, Roos and Matthews are all far better keepers than Macey. I feel for him as he hasn't had a settled defence in front of him but he's a big part of the problem and I fear not part of the solution.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Balham_Green":a6cxqnsw said:
Ollieargyle9":a6cxqnsw said:

Ah so you just need an experienced organiser. I see. I can do that and am available next Saturday.

You need to know where all your defenders need to be, spot where the danger is coming from and communicate that whilst focussing on your own game.

Basically, you need to know defending pretty much inside out. With the greatest of respect having read your views on here I don't think you're our man :lol:

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":383tkejq said:
Balham_Green":383tkejq said:
Ollieargyle9":383tkejq said:

You need to know where all your defenders need to be, spot where the danger is coming from and communicate that whilst focussing on your own game.

Basically, you need to know defending pretty much inside out. With the greatest of respect having read your views on here I don't think you're our man :lol:

I don't think you are qualified to have that opinion from my posts on here. If you can organise the PASALB defence (with varying degrees of success) that takes some doing.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think some fans assume that every save is a good save, when in actual fact if you're needlessly pushing the ball back out into the danger area it often renders the save pointless, and Macey unfortunately does this a lot, more than any of the keepers we had last season Letheren included. When holding it isn't an option a smart keeper won't only be looking to save the ball, but to turn it over, wide or into an area where the defenders can mop up.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
I spoke to Remi Matthews about this and he said they are encouraged to do this because the ball moves about so much in flight.