Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global.

Jun 27, 2019
Over the moon that this is happening. Argyle's history is littered with underachievement, but in Jack Leslie we have someone who had to overachieve just to step onto a football pitch and he is the outstanding candidate for a statue at HP.

I also think this will put Argyle as a club at the forefront of the fight against racial discrimination. What other club has a statue of a black footballer outside their ground? I can only think of Thierry Henry, but his statue is purely for footballing prowess. Ours will be in honour of a player who was snubbed by our own Football Association due to the colour of his skin.

His story must never be forgotten and this campaign will ensure it won't be. Well done all involved.

Jun 27, 2019
Clarke_B":2h5nj07i said:
Absolutely lovely idea and it's a touching idea for his family....but
... I know its via crowd funding but this 100k (the majority will be donated from Argyle fans) could go on the day to day spending of the club. Seeing club shirts isn't going to keep us afloat with no crowds coming in.

I just feel the statue should be put on hold until the club is back on its feet financially.

Seriously? If you'd rather donate to the club then do so, nobody is forcing anybody to donate to the crowdfunder.

Simon Hallett is fully behind the campaign and if he is then that should be good enough for you.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Herts_Green":1noyj0jm said:
This is a great initiative and a statue for Jack Leslie would be fully deserved. In terms of where the statue should go, I hope it wonā€™t be outside the main entrance to the Grandstand as itā€™s not that visible there for the majority of supporters. I think the best place would be outside the corner of the Devonport and Lyndhurst.

I am all in support of a statue, but I would hate for it to be positioned where there is heavy footfall by opposition supporters, which may lead to unfortunate damage

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
And let us all not forget that a campaign started on here - the wonderful PASOTI - resulted in the former Sir John Hawkins Square being re-named Jack Leslie Square. So we've already contributed to the campaign to get JL and our club remembered for something very special that went on down here many years ago. But let's not leave it there, shall we?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... et-4242196

Feb 28, 2016
Quintrell_Green":yjnlod7h said:
Herts_Green":yjnlod7h said:
This is a great initiative and a statue for Jack Leslie would be fully deserved. In terms of where the statue should go, I hope it wonā€™t be outside the main entrance to the Grandstand as itā€™s not that visible there for the majority of supporters. I think the best place would be outside the corner of the Devonport and Lyndhurst.

I am all in support of a statue, but I would hate for it to be positioned where there is heavy footfall by opposition supporters, which may lead to unfortunate damage

How much of a problem is that at other clubs? Canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever seen our fans damage statues at away grounds or seen any statue obviously vandalised by other clubs fans in the proceeding weeks to our visits.

metroace

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Clarke_B":1frhp6lb said:
... I know its via crowd funding but this 100k (the majority will be donated from Argyle fans) could go on the day to day spending of the club. Seeing club shirts isn't going to keep us afloat with no crowds coming in.

I just feel the statue should be put on hold until the club is back on its feet financially.

Why? This is not a cost to the club.

David Friio's mate

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
I couldn't be happier this is gaining so much traction.

I think that, out of everyone that's ever played for or managed our club, Jack Leslie is probably the most outstanding candidate for such an honour.

It's not just because of how we overcame the challenges of being a POC in the 20s, and it's not because the FA were racist and dropped him. It's because he played for us for 14 years and can stake a claim at being our best ever player, as much as anything. Add that to his significance as a pioneer, and you can see why this campaign has taken off so much.

Feb 28, 2016
David Friio's mate":1xgtqom6 said:
I couldn't be happier this is gaining so much traction.

I think that, out of everyone that's ever played for or managed our club, Jack Leslie is probably the most outstanding candidate for such an honour.

It's not just because of how we overcame the challenges of being a POC in the 20s, and it's not because the FA were racist and dropped him. It's because he played for us for 14 years and can stake a claim at being our best ever player, as much as anything. Add that to his significance as a pioneer, and you can see why this campaign has taken off so much.

I always thought statues of Leslie, Sammy Black, Bob Jack and Wilf Carter would look good around the four sides.

David Friio's mate

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Agreed - they'll be the next fundraisers :greensmile:

One Steve Maclean would have paid for all of them, with Ā£100k left over for a party! :facepalm:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Clarke_B":1ig3y9kx said:

I suspect that, with the level of national and, probably, international, publicity, donations will not only come from PAFC supporters.
Ā£27,939 has now been donated as at 13:48 today.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not the best newspaper or website, but not seen the video at the bottom of this page before https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11998410 ... ie-statue/

Jack's last day as West Ham bootman, small speech by John Lyall before telling him to hurry up and get the boots out :lol: :problem: