Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Just one more thought on this, that paints Argyle in an even greater light... it could be fair to say that not only is it likely Jack never played for England because of his skin colour, but that other clubs may not have signed him because of his skin colour.

We were the club that played and embraced him, and others didn't.

Jun 27, 2019
Biggs":1nfr4yhp said:
Just one more thought on this, that paints Argyle in an even greater light... it could be fair to say that not only is it likely Jack never played for England because of his skin colour, but that other clubs may not have signed him because of his skin colour.

We were the club that played and embraced him, and others didn't.

Indeed. I've seen comments such as 'Why build a statue for a third division player?', which completely fail to recognise that he may have been a First Division international if it wasn't for his skin colour.

For me, the statue is celebrating not just who he was but also who he should have been.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
The statue will also celebrate that our club, Plymouth Argyle, stood out against racism at a time when every other club did not. That says a lot about the club, its management and the city in which it is located. Be proud, be very proud!

Jul 15, 2011
Ghost":3vu2pr7g said:
Knibbsworth":3vu2pr7g said:
Is the statue likely to be at the ground, in the centre of town, or in the middle of the new Jack Leslie square?

It MUST be at the ground. Anywhere else will not have the same effect. Besides, if it’s put up in the city centre or namesake square on the Barbican it’ll undoubtedly get graffitied or damaged by p*ssed up louts on a weekend evening when the pubs/clubs kick out.

On a side note. Watching the fine BBC article today, I was a little shocked to hear Viv Anderson was the first black player to play for England. In all these years I thought it was Laurie Cunningham. How did I get this wrong? Was Cunningham the first black player to reach some other achievement? Looking for help here guys :oops:

I thought the same thing.... We were almost right...but it wasn't full international...

Cunningham received his first international call-up to the England U21 side in 1977 while playing for West Brom, becoming the first black footballer to represent an England international team organised by the Football Association. He later earned 6 caps for the full national team between 1979 and 1980, becoming one of the first ever black England internationals.
:scarf:

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I've chipped in and the fund is nearer £40k now but I reckon it will need a few big (£10k+ donations) to get over the line, for example from businesses or individuals of high net worth (horrible phrase).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I 'hope' that this has now received SO much publicity and goodwill that it's now inevitable somehow, and it's not far off halfway after a day and a half anyway.

Worst case scenario, I imagine a pretty decent statue can be made for £40-50k... though I know nothing about statues and how much they cost :lol:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I read somewhere that Leslie was invited down by the club in the 1960's for a visit.

Just wondering if there were any photos of this floating around?

Jun 27, 2019
Biggs":j82ayqee said:
I 'hope' that this has now received SO much publicity and goodwill that it's now inevitable somehow, and it's not far off halfway after a day and a half anyway.

Worst case scenario, I imagine a pretty decent statue can be made for £40-50k... though I know nothing about statues and how much they cost :lol:

I'm pretty sure Crowdfunder doesn't release any of the funds if the specified target isn't reached. If the campaign has only raised £40-50k by 10:17am on August 11 then everyone who donated gets their money back and the project doesn't happen.

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
The Doctor":24lchk70 said:
I've chipped in and the fund is nearer £40k now but I reckon it will need a few big (£10k+ donations) to get over the line, for example from businesses or (horrible phrase).

"individuals of high net worth"

The Doctor, did you mean rich Premier League players, for instance?

I have just cancelled my Sky Sports subscription and donated the value of the year's subs to the campaign. We should all try to do something to help even if it requiures a bit of sacrifice.

Come on folks.

Fawlty