Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie mentioned on National News - now Global.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, seems to still be ticking over nicely.

P.S. latest contributor John Biggs is not me :greensmile:

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
fawlty":2aiulcuc said:
The Doctor":2aiulcuc said:
I've chipped in and the fund is nearer £40k now but I reckon it will need a few big (£10k+ donations) to get over the line, for example from businesses or (horrible phrase).

"individuals of high net worth"

The Doctor, did you mean rich Premier League players, for instance?

I have just cancelled my Sky Sports subscription and donated the value of the year's subs to the campaign. We should all try to do something to help even if it requiures a bit of sacrifice.

Come on folks.

Fawlty

No, I just meant individuals who might have so much money that they might personally throw thousands rather than hundreds or tens of £ into the pot. I have no-one particularly in mind or any particular group. I just meant that my feeling is that an appeal of this type can probably get itself up beyond £50k (perhaps even well beyond) through small donations but it probably needs a couple of big chunks (£10k-£20k) to get over the £100k line. Whatever, I just hope it makes it!
(Yes, I have donated!)

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
....like Harry Redknapp, worth £14 million ish who had his boots cleaned by Jack at West Ham. Pity he's not social media savvy or I'm sure we would have heard from him.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Barrie Davis":3d5ir2l3 said:
....like Harry Redknapp, worth £14 million ish who had his boots cleaned by Jack at West Ham. Pity he's not social media savvy or I'm sure we would have heard from him.

That's a good point. He's not usually backwards in coming forwards with a quip to keep himself in the spotlight.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Barrie Davis":6428zisk said:

He'd need to be able to make his donation in a plain brown envelope Baz!

:lol:

Jul 4, 2020
Emu":d73io0j4 said:
I read somewhere that Leslie was invited down by the club in the 1960's for a visit.

Just wondering if there were any photos of this floating around?

Glad you mentioned this!
Whilst looking for more pictures of Jack to help create illustrations for the campaign I found this picture in Harley Lawer's 'Argyle Classics' book from 1988.

Bpm5LdP.jpg

The lethal partnership returned in the 60's. I love this picture, must be more from that day sitting around somewhere. Annoyingly don't know what game it was.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Andy_S":qypy6t6p said:
Barrie Davis":qypy6t6p said:

He'd need to be able to make his donation in a plain brown envelope Baz!

:lol:

If his dog can get to the bank! :lol:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Mayflower D7":3se7ulg0 said:
Emu":3se7ulg0 said:
I read somewhere that Leslie was invited down by the club in the 1960's for a visit.

Just wondering if there were any photos of this floating around?

Glad you mentioned this!
Whilst looking for more pictures of Jack to help create illustrations for the campaign I found this picture in Harley Lawer's 'Argyle Classics' book from 1988.

Bpm5LdP.jpg

The lethal partnership returned in the 60's. I love this picture, must be more from that day sitting around somewhere. Annoyingly don't know what game it was.

Ah great work D7!
Yes there must be more photos around from that day somewhere. Do the Herald still have an Archives unit?

I will have to look at my copy of Argyle Classics now. :)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
MarkMatthews":1tzc10ai said:
Quintrell_Green":1tzc10ai said:
Herts_Green":1tzc10ai said:
This is a great initiative and a statue for Jack Leslie would be fully deserved. In terms of where the statue should go, I hope it won’t be outside the main entrance to the Grandstand as it’s not that visible there for the majority of supporters. I think the best place would be outside the corner of the Devonport and Lyndhurst.

I am all in support of a statue, but I would hate for it to be positioned where there is heavy footfall by opposition supporters, which may lead to unfortunate damage

How much of a problem is that at other clubs? Can’t say I’ve ever seen our fans damage statues at away grounds or seen any statue obviously vandalised by other clubs fans in the proceeding weeks to our visits.

I see Dixie Dean's statue outside Goodison Park has been damaged overnight following a lit flare having been left on it. It is that sort of damage that needs to be avoided which makes me think that if ever this project actually is achieved, the statue would be better positioned on the concourse behind the Mayflower Stand.