Jake Jervis signs for Luton - confirmed | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jake Jervis signs for Luton - confirmed

Sep 6, 2006
Thomas Edwards":3nk3logj said:
jerryatricjanner":3nk3logj said:
Thomas Edwards":3nk3logj said:
He's worth more to us than £100k

This would be a disappointing sale.
Why Thomas? In 16 games time he will be worth nothing to us. In 16 games time Adams will be planning for next season with possibly 100k extra in the budget to pay the wages of a better player more capable of helping with a play off or promotion push.

My opinion being he is worth a new contract.

He is very consistent, I think he's very committed, very versatile in that he can play wide and up top, and he's a good example to other players.

He's also a very good player, and very capable at this level. He's just not quite fitting into our present system as comfortably as Lammy and GC.

If we magically got promoted I think I'd still keep him.

Don't agree ato all with the consistency comment. He can certainly be a very good player on his day but also can have some very poor games explaining why he gets periodically dropped. Take the money I say.

Jan 1, 2006
Plymouth
IMHO one of the very best we have got.........when he wants to be.........a luxury that without new signings.... we can afford should the S*** hit the fan. Keep him I say

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Miles Bidgood":1bguwghh said:
IMHO one of the very best we have got.........when he wants to be.........

I've never understood this. Every time I see him, he appears to work very hard indeed.

Inconsistency isn't always down to a lack of effort.

Jul 2, 2014
With the arrival of Church, Jake is no longer back up to Taylor as striker.

With the current formation of Graham and Ruben as duel #10s play off and wide of a lone striker, Jake is a back up rather than a starter. If we get exposed on the flanks, Jake has been sub'ed on to strengthen matters. On Saturday, Grant and Ainsworth were the wide-midfield back up (and Taylor-Sinclair and Miller for deeper wide defence) and Jake was not on the bench.

The bottom line is that Jake does not fit with our current strategy as a starter and is a squad player who has delivered heart and soul for us when played and is loved by the fans.

On the financial side, I have no inside knowledge, but a Herald piece in November ("Who earns the most money at Plymouth Argyle and what is their transfer budget?"https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-earns-most-money-plymouth-746227) provides a little insight. I estimate a club budget of ~2.5 million with ~1.5 million in total player compensation (also think about an average gate of 9,435 clearing ~10-11 a person on average on 25-26 home games). Maybe, I am guessing low, but a club player budget of over 2 million would surprise me. 100,000 is therefore a meaningful amount of money for a player earning about that in a full season.

There are two questions:

1. Does Adams see Jake as an important part of the team for the rest of the season?

I think Jake is strength in depth only, but not a starter for reasons given above.

2. Does Adams see Jake as an important part of the team for next of the season?

This is hard to know, but I expect that Adams will strengthened with players who fit his style of play that we see now. So I see jake as a squad player next year.

3. Does 100,000 allow Adams to bring in a quality midfielder and maybe one other player to a run at the play-offs this season?

May be.

4. Does 100,000 in the bank allow Adams to strengthen in the summer for a promotion challenge next season.

Yes.

Bottom line; if the 100,000 is real for a player likely to go at the end of the season in 16 games, then it is a matter of making sure that incoming players cover any role he might play in the squad over the coming few months.

Jake has been a great servant for the club and will get a huge round of applause whenever he returns to Home Park.

One addendum, the departure of Chifti, Diagouraga, Wylde, Bliss and Sokolik has freed up some money, but the arrival of Church and Vyner may have eaten up a lot of that.

Aug 5, 2016
Steve Wooldridge":221d2hn6 said:
Peanuts for a player like Jervis. He gives it his all when he plays, and scored many vital goals for us over the years. Best try and keep our better players if possible.

Well said.

That said, if DA was going to release him in the summer then it would be silly not to take the cash.

I personally rate Jervis, he won't be easily replaced. Incredibly hard worker to go with his pace and goals.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
My issue is that Lameiras wasn't fancied for 15 games and whilst he's had a nice little run, he's clearly a streaky player. When he dips, the only backup is Grant if Jervis leaves. That's not really enough.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nobby":3ce2l1md said:
My issue is that Lameiras wasn't fancied for 15 games and whilst he's had a nice little run, he's clearly a streaky player. When he dips, the only backup is Grant if Jervis leaves. That's not really enough.
Which is why I don’t see Jervis leaving before another wide player comes in.

Oct 31, 2015
I hope this does not happen. Jake must be ahead of Grant in the pecking order and his goals scored and assists are second behind Carey. Surely a good wind up

Nov 22, 2006
would be disappointed if he was to go, and would only let him if we had a replacement lined up no point in strengthening a direct league one rival if we are only weakening our own options and I can't believe we would let Ciftci, Blissett, Wylde and then Jervis go if the only attacking replacement was Simon Church doesn't make sense

Aug 5, 2016
Lameiras is getting a wee run, but 10-15 games doesn't make him our best right winger. Jervis has played there for two and a half seasons and been a cornerstone of DA's success. He's the first player back when the team loses the ball, and he can cover the CF position when Taylor is injured with his height and pace. Lameiras doesn't provide these things.

We need to tread carefully thinking he's disposable IMHO.