January transfer window - what do we need/who will leave? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January transfer window - what do we need/who will leave?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Gary Sawyer said earlier this year he would like to move into coaching, so why can't he be our defensive coach?

Apr 1, 2009
PL2 3DQ":3bjpva3r said:
Gary Sawyer said earlier this year he would like to move into coaching, so why can't he be our defensive coach?

No reason at all if he's the best available defensive coach (subject to us actually seeking a defensive coach) .

It's always baffled me that fans want to appoint loyal long-serving players to coaching roles, without any consideration given to whether the man in question is actually a good coach. It's almost as if they feel that loyal stalwarts are entitled to this as a form of testimonial or pension. People will come out with the tired cliche of "he knows the club back to front" on these occasions, but sometimes it is better to recruit someone from outside with fresh ideas and unburdened by existing relationships with the players and current coaching staff. Appointing Sawyer would not disturb the status quo. Maybe we need someone who would provide a shock factor.

If we are recruiting we should always go for the best available, which will include balancing a raft of different criteria including how the new man will fit into the existing coaching team, and of course whether we can afford him.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":215ll39w said:

Probably more likely than a media career.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Balham_Green":2r3gv7q3 said:
PL2 3DQ":2r3gv7q3 said:

I think Gary Sawyer talks with more authority on tactical matters than most of the ex-pros who are on Ifollow. So whether that makes him a good pundit or a potential good coach I don't know. Not that he's an ex-pro of course.

Sep 6, 2006
Dorset Pilgrim":vtsxxnky said:
Balham_Green":vtsxxnky said:
PL2 3DQ":vtsxxnky said:

I think Gary Sawyer talks with more authority on tactical matters than most of the ex-pros who are on Ifollow. So whether that makes him a good pundit or a potential good coach I don't know. Not that he's an ex-pro of course.

I don't

Sep 6, 2006
Major surgery needed. Get rid of one centre half(dont care who) to be replaced by experience. Get rid of Fornah(too inexperienced). Also G. Cooper, Hardie and Telford( previously over-rated. League 2 players) . Cant see a role for Cooper now with Grant looking good in that position.
But who will take them?! Can we send Hardie back?
Sign quality NOT quantity(within budget of course)
Probably not a good idea to sell our leading scorer in a relegation battle but if the price is right.....

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Manager needs to move on at least 3/4 players to free up cash and places for 2 higher quality defenders-one at the back and one in midfield.
Then actually coach the defence how to defend properly for 90 + minutes which might be a novel idea.
Do not sell Jephcott until the summer when more options open up because in January you pay over the odds for mediocre while giving him more time to take his fee to a higher level.
Might help calm the fans if we just win a couple of games instead.

Jan 6, 2020
It's not that easy to just off load players who are not featuring regularly, maximum squad numbers and salary caps are making it very difficult. I see very little movement in either direction

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
happydays69":o5xaix32 said:
Just get Graham Coughlin back has a defensive coach to sort out our defence, you don"t become bad players overnight, its all about confidence and playing as a team, as a previous Manager stated football teams are like a jigsaw you have to have the right pieces in the right places and it takes time.

Cocko is at Sheff weds working with Pulis at his request. Wants to stay up north for family reasons thus going to Mansfield at the time. Pity.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I don't think there will be many changes as it's not easy to find quality players in the January window. I would offload Telford, assume Abraham would go back and look for an experienced option up front.

Aug 5, 2016
Our squad is good enough, we just need to relax expectations and realise we are on a bad run of form - and most teams have them.

Some of the opinions on Canavan and Wootton are very unfair in my opinion.

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":1185q5gw said:
Our squad is good enough, we just need to relax expectations and realise we are on a bad run of form - and most teams have them.

Some of the opinions on Canavan and Wootton are very unfair in my opinion.
The biggest problem with them is a lack of consistency. You just cannot rely on them to perform on a regular basis.Ok for league 2 but errors will be punished more in league 1.