Jephcott's form | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott's form

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
It's down to poor supply, there was one time in the second half when the Posh were constantly putting ball after ball across our box, scoring twice and missing the chance or good blocks on other occasions.

We then break and go quickly down the left with Watts running down the touchline, our forwards head to the box before the cross almost hits the opposite corner flag.

Combine this with the assist ratings for 20-21 season for those in or close to the current playing squad, and it could explain the goal drought.

In 30 Games.

Mayor 0 goals 2 assists.
Grant 3 goals 7 assists.
Camara 2 goals 1 assist.
Edwards 3 goals 2 assists.
Fornah 0 goals 0 assists.
Watts 1 goal 0 assists.
Aimson 0 goals 1 assists.
Opoku 1 goal 0 assists.
Hardie 3 goals 5 assists.
Moore 1 goal 2 assists.
Ennis 2 goals 1 assist.

I would suggest practising playing a fast ball into a dangerous area might improve things dramatically, as our build up is typically slow.

Jul 12, 2016
xmastree said:
As always on here people feel the need to see a situation as either black or white, and have difficulty accepting that it's probably somewhere in between.

Even a week ago everything about Jephcott on here was positive. Posters were speculating about the Euros, out-bidding one another in their transfer valuations, making comparisons to the likes of Harry Kane, and certain extremists were demanding that LJ start every game and never be subbed. Suddenly he's had a short run without goals and there's an inquest into what has gone wrong, and what needs to be done to get him scoring again.

The main diagnosis seems to be that he is happier playing with Hardie than with Ennis. I'd be pretty sure that's the case given that he's partnered Hardie far more than anyone else. Yet he has to learn to play with different partners, as any club needs their strikers to be able to perform successfully in different combinations. I'm sure there's far more too it than that though.

When a team is on a good run, future opposition will study video footage and work out how to stop them. In simplistic terms , to stop Jephcott scoring, you stop him getting chances, by closing off supply lines. Defenders are instructed to push Danny Mayor into blind alleys down the left hand side of the penalty area, to block out low crosses into the box from the likes of Conor Grant, and to negate Camara's forward runs. Suddenly the goals dry up, chances become a rarity, and when they do come there's more pressure due to there being so few opportunities.

Late in January a number of posters speculated nervously about the February fixture list. It looked hard, with a number of top teams to play. In terms of results it had gone well up until last night, but better opposition has nevertheless reduced our goal threat.

People have to remember that Luke Jephcott is human. For all the potential, and for all the impressive stats, he's not (certainly not yet) a superstar. 15 months ago he was a teenager on loan to Truro who had previously had the odd opportunity on the wing for Argyle. He's played a lot of minutes at a time when the fixture list is unusually congested. At a young age he's had to get used to being relied on for goals, as well as the adulation of fans ever eager to welcome a new star, banging on endlessly about huge valuations and international caps. I'd be very surprised if he isn't physically tired, and mentally probably exhausted.

In most aspects of life, you learn most through a bit of adversity. LJ has had it pretty good. If things are a little more difficult now (and it's certainly no crisis yet), he'll learn and come back stronger. I rate him highly, though struggle with some of the more extreme hype,, and am sure the current blip (if there is one) will soon be overcome.
So when we had Mariner and Rafferty you would have split them up because they needed to be able to perform in different combinations! Perhaps you're too young to remember them.
IMO people are not holding "an inquest" on Jephcott but questioning Lowe's decision to drop Hardie for Ennis.

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":2cq3bnzh said:
Steve Evans":2cq3bnzh said:
there's no way i would drop our leading scorer.i would partner him with hardie.
A no brainer to me also.

If he's not scoring and not contributing how long do you stick with him? I think he needs to be rested. Moore and Ennis for me.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Balham_Green":308bf9r3 said:
oldage":308bf9r3 said:
Steve Evans":308bf9r3 said:
A no brainer to me also.

If he's not scoring and not contributing how long do you stick with him? I think he needs to be rested. Moore and Ennis for me.

BG on a wind up again. :sigh:

Sep 6, 2006
JannerinCardiff":2asbdabt said:
Balham_Green":2asbdabt said:
oldage":2asbdabt said:
Steve Evans":2asbdabt said:
A no brainer to me also.

Its called having a different opinion. I have better things to do than wind people up(Intentionally anyway!) so stop making such dumb comments.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
I would like Jeffers and Harfie play up front with Ennis as one of the wing backs , we n
eed someone with pace out wide Moore has lost his pace and just takes the easy option by passing back to Amison. just an opinion.

Oct 5, 2013
Clem":2iulbqee said:
I would like Jeffers and Harfie play up front with Ennis as one of the wing backs , we n
eed someone with pace out wide Moore has lost his pace and just takes the easy option by passing back to Amison. just an opinion.

Not a bad idea.
How about Edwards and Lewis though?

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":16oskpz1 said:
JannerinCardiff":16oskpz1 said:
Balham_Green":16oskpz1 said:
oldage":16oskpz1 said:
Steve Evans":16oskpz1 said:
A no brainer to me also.

Its called having a different opinion. I have better things to do than wind people up(Intentionally anyway!) so stop making such dumb comments.

BG, if you are going to call people’s comments “dumb” you might find it goes down better if you add the word “please” to your instructions to them.

Oct 5, 2013
Clem":1eqf8c8a said:
I would play Joe in place of Fornah need hus experience that position.

Good idea to me.
Obviously CDM is primarily a defensive role, just as striker is primarily an attacking role, but it doesn't mean that the CDM has no attacking to do, any more than a striker has no defending to do. I think that right now we need a player at CDM who does more than just pass the ball sideways when we are in possession.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Clem":3qcyz9au said:
I would play Joe in place of Fornah need hus experience that position.

Who plays RWB though?

I don't think Byron Moore is quite good enough for this level. Edwards is really the only player we have who can naturally play in that position, and with our system the wing backs are just as, if not even more important, than the CDM.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
The real problem isn`t that Jephcott has stopped (temporarily) scoring, it`s that the rest haven`t yet started.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Moore's recent run in the side has meant we have little threat down the right-hand side of the pitch. Edwards must come back, he contributes much better defensively than Moore too.

Fornah is too negative in his passing and Camara is looking a bit tired by his previous standards, but they are the best available options.

After a good run we are now back into a more uncertain period of form. I think the ball has to be played quicker from the midfield to create scoring opportunities. Goals for any of the strikers will boost morale and get things back on track.