Jephcott's form | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott's form

Oct 5, 2013
Dorset Pilgrim":3il43aax said:
Moore's recent run in the side has meant we have little threat down the right-hand side of the pitch. Edwards must come back, he contributes much better defensively than Moore too.

Fornah is too negative in his passing and Camara is looking a bit tired by his previous standards, but they are the best available options.

After a good run we are now back into a more uncertain period of form. I think the ball has to be played quicker from the midfield to create scoring opportunities. Goals for any of the strikers will boost morale and get things back on track.

Agree about Edwards for Moore from the start.
I’d put Grant at CDM and bring in Lewis at LWB.
Hardie and Jephcott up front.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
philevs":17yozn13 said:
Dorset Pilgrim":17yozn13 said:
Moore's recent run in the side has meant we have little threat down the right-hand side of the pitch. Edwards must come back, he contributes much better defensively than Moore too.

Fornah is too negative in his passing and Camara is looking a bit tired by his previous standards, but they are the best available options.

After a good run we are now back into a more uncertain period of form. I think the ball has to be played quicker from the midfield to create scoring opportunities. Goals for any of the strikers will boost morale and get things back on track.

Agree about Edwards for Moore from the start.
I’d put Grant at CDM and bring in Lewis at LWB.
Hardie and Jephcott up front.

Absolutely agree with this. :thumbup:

Edwards for Moore - as he leads better, offers more attacking impetus and can score a goal himself, whilst being about the same defensively in my eyes. Grant at CDM to allow us to actually pass the ball forwards from holding midfield position and start attacks and Grant has a good powerful shot from range so would offer more goal threat and assists than Fornah. Lewis is a natural LWB and likes to drive forward and give width, which will also bring the best out of Mayor with an overlapping LWB just like he did when McFadzean was at Argyle. Lewis look slike he's got a decent cross from wide areas too. Hardie and Jephcott are statisically our best forward pairing that were they had played every match with them starting we could now see ourselves in the playoff positions. If either of Hardie or Jephcott get tired or are not performing we can always bring on Ennis for one of them to re-energise the forward line.

Feb 3, 2013
The only advantage of the disastrous last year is the ability to watch every minute of the season which I have.
My observations on Luke Jephcott would be:
Things he does well
Having the ability to be in the right place at the right time and the confidence to finish without taking a touch. Very important and that instinctive ability is not coachable.This has meant his goals are generally in and around the six yard box. So possibly it is not his form that has dipped off but the rest of the assistors. He also holds the ball up reasonably well and has good movement off the ball.
What he does not have are:
Pace, I have not seen him beat a defender 1 on 1 or get onto a through ball to score.
Trickery and quick feet, he does not successfully take on defenders and create chances for himself in or outside the box
finishing from outside the box, the last few matches have really shown up his inability to finish from around the edge of the box.
Physical presence and aggression is obviously lacking
Ability in the air, he rarely wins balls in the air, and though he has scored with is head this is a weakness
Bearing all of this in mind I am not sure he would successfully make the transition into the championship or full international level which is why I would readily accept a large fee for him

Oct 5, 2013
seagreen":nglf6pwj said:
The only advantage of the disastrous last year is the ability to watch every minute of the season which I have.
Things he does well
Having the ability to be in the right place at the right time and the confidence to finish without taking a touch. Very important and that instinctive ability is not coachable.This has meant his goals are generally in and around the six yard box. So possibly it is not his form that has dipped off but the rest of the assistors. He also holds the ball up reasonably well and has good movement off the ball.
Pace, I have not seen him beat a defender 1 on 1 or get onto a through ball to score.
Trickery and quick feet, he does not successfully take on defenders and create chances for himself in or outside the box
finishing from outside the box, the last few matches have really shown up his inability to finish from around the edge of the box.
Ability in the air, he rarely wins balls in the air, and though he has scored with is head this is a weakness
Bearing all of this in mind I am not sure he would successfully make the transition into the championship or full international level which is why I would readily accept a large fee for him

It’s a win-win then, either we get to sell him for megabucks or we keep him as a main goalscorer!

Sep 2, 2008
philevs":qutij66n said:
seagreen":qutij66n said:
Things he does well

It’s a win-win then, either we get to sell him for megabucks or we keep him as a main goalscorer!

:wtf: This is not going to happen. Who is your supplier? I need to get some of whatever it is you're on :D

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
seagreen":3ghyzz8g said:
Things he does well

I agree with a lot of this. The ability to score with his first touch is extremely valuable for a striker. Carlo Ancelotti has made a big point of it with Dominic Calvert-Lewin this year. I remember him saying that Filippo Inzaghi scored 300 goals for Ancelotti and 210 were with his first touch.

His ability in the air / physicality will improve as he continues to develop physically. He is only 21. In terms of pace and trickery, I just don't think those are things will ever be in his skillset.

We've had a number of strikers over the years who didn't score enough but were good at other things. A lot of people criticised these players because "strikers are there to score goals". So now that we have one who is very good at his job, it's bizarre that so many are talking him down.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
A box striker, as Luke is, is only as good as the service he gets, He doesn't create chances but is good at finishing the ones presented for him.
I would rest him for Saturday and bring Hardie in with Ennis.

Oct 5, 2013
lilcol":2yyf5n5g said:
A box striker, as Luke is, is only as good as the service he gets, He doesn't create chances but is good at finishing the ones presented for him.

The good thing is we now have a choice between 3 strikers.

Oct 5, 2013
Nobby":2i7qeap7 said:
seagreen":2i7qeap7 said:
Things he does well

I agree with a lot of this. The ability to score with his first touch is extremely valuable for a striker. Carlo Ancelotti has made a big point of it with Dominic Calvert-Lewin this year. I remember him saying that Filippo Inzaghi scored 300 goals for Ancelotti and 210 were with his first touch.

His ability in the air / physicality will improve as he continues to develop physically. He is only 21. In terms of pace and trickery, I just don't think those are things will ever be in his skillset.

We've had a number of strikers over the years who didn't score enough but were good at other things. A lot of people criticised these players because "strikers are there to score goals". So now that we have one who is very good at his job, it's bizarre that so many are talking him down.

Re your last sentence, I too find it bizarre.
It’s almost as if some have made up their mind that Jephcott is not very good, and can’t concede that he’s done well because if they did, it would mean they would have to revise their opinion.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":9vj00xfg said:
lilcol":9vj00xfg said:

The good thing is we now have a choice between 3 strikers.

We always had a choice! The question is how good are they?!

Apr 1, 2009
philevs":1uqpvofo said:
Nobby":1uqpvofo said:
seagreen":1uqpvofo said:
Things he does well

Re your last sentence, I too find it bizarre.
It’s almost as if some have made up their mind that Jephcott is not very good, and can’t concede that he’s done well because if they did, it would mean they would have to revise their opinion.

Where are all these "so many" people "talking Jephcott down", and saying "he isn't very good"? Across several threads I've read comments about him like "he's tired", "he's out of form" (implying that he IS good when in form),, and he's not the finished article (implying that , fairly obviously, he's young enough to get better). Obviously the notional values put on him vary enormously, but even the lowest guesses are way, way more than anyone's going to pay for a not very good L1 player. I've come across only three posters who have said anything like he's not very good, and of those one has contradicted himself by praising LJ massively on other occasions , whilst another of these 3 is known for making comments that provoke a reaction.

I don't dispute that there are big differences of opinion on how good LJ is, and how good he can be. I do dispute, however, that there are many who totally don't rate him. It's become a bit of a Pasoti technique to make your point by implying that there is significant opposition to it - even if this isn't so.

Jul 12, 2016
lilcol":13ehrwgs said:
Luke is a natural goalscorer but cannot do anything if the service from the rest of the team fails.I do not understand why Lowe mucked around with swapping Ennis for Hardie when his partnership with Jephcott was developing nicely.I am also concerned that Lowe has said he wants to keep a settled side .
What sort of message is that sending to other players on the bench?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Nobby":3o55i03a said:
seagreen":3o55i03a said:
Things he does well

In my opinion Pace and trickery are not a pre-requisite to be an excellent striker.

I don’t remember Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler or Wayne Rooney being pacey for instance, but they did pretty good..