Jephcott's form | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott's form

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Metal_Green_Mickey":21ow4w6q said:
The guy needs good service. When Argyle are booting up pitch Hardie and Ennis can use their pace to get involved.

Jephcott isn’t like this. He needs decent balls into the box. That’s when he comes alive.

However, he need work on his game outside of the box and how to get involved more with Argyle build up play.

He needs to be criticised because his recent performances have been poor. However, we need to remember without his goals earlier in this campaign we would be in a relegation scrap.

He has had a decent season.

I don't want him spending all his time outside the box - I want him in there scoring goals. We've had enough strikers that "aren't there to score goals".

He is infinitely more valuable to Argyle as a player that has rubbish games but pops up on the end of a 3 yard tap in, than a balanced all rounder who lays off 20 perfect passes to fullbacks every game.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
David Friio's mate":1yi8wtud said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1yi8wtud said:
The guy needs good service. When Argyle are booting up pitch Hardie and Ennis can use their pace to get involved.

Jephcott isn’t like this. He needs decent balls into the box. That’s when he comes alive.

However, he need work on his game outside of the box and how to get involved more with Argyle build up play.

He needs to be criticised because his recent performances have been poor. However, we need to remember without his goals earlier in this campaign we would be in a relegation scrap.

He has had a decent season.

I don't want him spending all his time outside the box - I want him in there scoring goals. We've had enough strikers that "aren't there to score goals".

He is infinitely more valuable to Argyle as a player that has rubbish games but pops up on the end of a 3 yard tap in, than a balanced all rounder who lays off 20 perfect passes to fullbacks every game.

I agree with this. We need to play to our strengths. Jephcott in the box tapping them in, Hardie running behind the defence and nicking the ball off their defenders while Ennis can hold up the play and make late runs into the box.

Jephcott was unlucky against Blackpool. If he had played first half, we were creating the chances that he thrives on. The second half the play suited Hardie.

C

Cult Of Personality

should have been sold in January when his price was at its highest.

Now he has been worked out by teams . He does not have pace. He is not skillful to beat a man . He not a target man . He is a tap in merchant and if you limit that he becomes a nothing player

P

Paranoid Android

We've all been scratching our heads over Luke. I just had a very quick look through most of the games highlights. I was interested to see the pattern to his goals, if there is one. To try and understand how he was getting his service and goals then, and why he isn't now.

There are two recurring themes that I can see in the first half of the season. One is the delivery of early crosses landing between the penalty spot and 6yd box with Luke making runs towards them. The second is that most goals are from deliveries to around or just outside the 6 yd box.

I might be imagining it, but it appears to me first half of the season defences were giving him space in the box to run onto early crosses. Second half of the season we've put far less early crosses in, with Danny taking the ball deeper and interplaying with Grant or Lewis and delaying the crosses, so there are more bodies in the box. That's a quick observation.

Here are the goals I found and how they were assisted:

Doncaster - Mayor - left by-line low cross 6 yard box

Charlton - Moore - left side of box short cross pass 8 yds out

Fleetwood - Nouble - early low cross from the right to 6 yrd box

Lincoln - C Grant - high inswinging corner to near post header 6 yds

Crewe - C Grant - early cross from the left into box 6 yds

Oxford - penalty

Gillingham - C Grant - early low cross from the left to penalty spot

Crewe - Penalty

Portsmouth - Moore - early cross from the right, goalmouth scramble, tap in

Fleetwood - Moore - cross from right touched in 6 yds

Lincoln - G Cooper corner inswinging to 6 yd box near post header

Portsmouth - Moore - early cross from the right 6 yd box near post

Blackpool - Aimson cross from the right 6 yd box low header

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cult Of Personality":q1cy2840 said:

Now he has been worked out by teams . He does not have pace. He is not skillful to beat a man . He not a target man . He is a tap in merchant and if you limit that he becomes a nothing player
You could be describing the one and only Tommy.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
demportdave":3122jg39 said:
Cult Of Personality":3122jg39 said:

Or a certain Robbie Fowler..

C

Cult Of Personality

demportdave":1xpx87t3 said:
Cult Of Personality":1xpx87t3 said:

Football has changed since the days of Tynan . He would be required to do alot more nowadays. Not saying he would not still be a great player but the days of tap in merchants are over

Jul 12, 2016
Cult Of Personality":28yt2lj8 said:
demportdave":28yt2lj8 said:
Cult Of Personality":28yt2lj8 said:

Football has changed since the days of Tynan . He would be required to do alot more nowadays. Not saying he would not still be a great player but the days of tap in merchants are over
Just shows how football has changed for the worse.Personally I couldn't care less if all Jephcott did was scored 20-30 goals.
Not sure how any managers would turn down a striker regularly scoring from "tap ins"?

Oct 5, 2013
The manager makes him do too much work. No-one can be back defending every free-kick and corner as well as chasing down defenders when we lose possession in attacking positions (which is quite often when Mayor’s on the ball), and then be expected to get up into the opposing box and into striking positions. He runs more than any other player and gets knackered, but the manager persists with doing this because it’s part of his ‘game-plan’.
As our best goalscorer, Jephcott needs to be allowed to play up front, not all over the pitch. But the manager doesn’t see this, it seems.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Jephcott looks a lot bigger now than earlier in the season, he's bulked up. This may have affected his form.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
JannerinCardiff":2o9cwqrt said:
demportdave":2o9cwqrt said:
Cult Of Personality":2o9cwqrt said:

Or a certain Robbie Fowler..

Crikey. You really can’t mention Fowler in this context. Absolutely outstanding striker who was in no way a tap in merchant. I sat in the away end at Anfield and watched a master class in movement and finishing from him and Owen back in the day.

All those crazy multi million £ figures being bandied about on here re Jeph earlier in the season, are looking a bit silly now. Tbf, they were at the time.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Is it now 16 games since Jephcott scored a goal?

He has been on the bench a lot recently and I don’t know how many minutes he has actually been on the field since he scored his last goal at Portsmouth on February 6th.

Young players will blow hot and cold early in their career and even the best of finishers experience lean times, but it is looking increasingly likely that Jephcott will not score another goal this season, which would be more than 3 months.

The good news for Argyle is that he has probably dropped off the Radar of a number of clubs who might have been interested in him.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
demportdave":30olhcdp said:
Is it now 16 games since Jephcott scored a goal?

The good news for Argyle is that he has probably dropped off the Radar of a number of clubs who might have been interested in him.

Every cloud eh? Would have been nice if he’d just managed a few though. Hopefully, he will pot one or two before the break, otherwise he will go into pre-season with the proverbial monkey on his back.