Jephers coming to other Clubs attention | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephers coming to other Clubs attention

Apr 1, 2009
Quintrell_Green":qmkmz5xm said:
I just hope any improbable interest does nor generate another stupid assessment of value by the arbitration body of the EFL.

Have Argyle ever been seen to come out of that method smiling all the way to the bank

If he's out of contract at the end of this season, then it probably will come to that, and you're right that we will be disappointed with what we get. I've no idea when his current deal ends and, without that knowledge, any figures chucked around are pretty meaningless.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Quintrell_Green":27a2p8f5 said:
I just hope any improbable interest does nor generate another stupid assessment of value by the arbitration body of the EFL.

Have Argyle ever been seen to come out of that method smiling all the way to the bank
Do the EFL still look on us as a 'leap of faith'?

Jan 27, 2012
Jephcott is a very good finisher, but the rest of his game is League One standard.

The talk of £10 million in this thread is ridiculous. I think even £1 million would be more than most teams would be willing to pay.

Aug 10, 2006
Tugboat":gzjmi8r8 said:
Ashley Barnes type.

I think we would take £3m as a start with significant add ons
dram on he aint worth 3 million and we would not get anywhere near that.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Transfer fees are mad now though. If he’s capable of scoring 10-15 goals across a season in the Championship.... then that equals a £5m player. Then suddenly you have Premier League clubs sniffing and you’re up to £10-15m.

All ifs and maybes of course, but goalscorers are rare and he’s a young one with potential, so I think £2-3m is reasonable if Covid hasn’t totally brought down the transfer market.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
gaspargomez":3je9i3mo said:
Jephcott is a very good finisher, but the rest of his game is League One standard.

The talk of £10 million in this thread is ridiculous. I think even £1 million would be more than most teams would be willing to pay.
I don't agree gas..... he's more than 'just a finisher' - not that that is such a bad thing (wasn't Tynan?). First time I saw him the thing that struck me was his 'football brain' ie the positions he takes, his awareness, knowing when to hold, when to quickly lay-off, when to shoot quickly etc. He's a cut above this level. Add an instinct to get goals and you have a potentially top, top-notch striker. Blimey, compared to what Ashley Barnes showed us when he was here...... and look what he went on to do.

No we should keep him as long as possible, drive for a BIG fee and above all make sure we get a big cut of any further fees.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I think he's not just a goalscorer, but reads the game and passes and tackles well. £3m maybe, but it doesn't seem to me that he's got a lot of pace over a short distance and I think most top strikers have that. I'm just happy to see him do well, he's got a great attitude on the pitch and he can only get better, hopefully with Argyle.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Some VERY unrealistic fees being talked about here and also some unrealistic views of his potential. I think there’s a good championship player there in the making, but his lack of pace will probably stop him going further. Argyle would probably take 500k in January.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
loyal1970":1g0jbhlw said:
Tugboat":1g0jbhlw said:
Ashley Barnes type.

I think we would take £3m as a start with significant add ons
dram on he aint worth 3 million and we would not get anywhere near that.
Your stuck in the past bud.

He’s easy money given his record this season and last plus being internationally recognised.

Aug 15, 2015
gaspargomez":2w5oar6o said:

He's got great movement off the ball, makes clever runs, receives the ball well, holds off defenders well, good at linking the ball up between midfield and attack. Granted he is a bit short on pace, but other than that he's got some great qualities. Not only is he a great finisher, but he scores goals with his head, his left foot, his right, inside the box, outside the box. To add to that, he's super composed in and around goal. Doesn't snatch at anything, doesn't panic. He's also a Wales U21 international. He's got excellent potential. If you think players like Ashley Barnes have made it to the Prem, there's absolutely no reason why Jephcott cannot (irrespective of whether that happens or not). Strange post.

May 28, 2019
im sure i read somewhere that EFL clubs that got financial help from premier league pay out , were not aloud to spend cash on buying players, unless they pay back the hand out , so unless a premier league club comes in for him i can not see him going anywhere

Apr 30, 2011
greybeard-kernow":1t72hp30 said:
im sure i read somewhere that EFL clubs that got financial help from premier league pay out , were not aloud to spend cash on buying players, unless they pay back the hand out , so unless a premier league club comes in for him i can not see him going anywhere

This. Plus, I don't know how much we would financially benefit from it, as the profit may offset some of the bail out money from the PL.

I hope for Luke's sake he doesn't leave, another 18/24 months here will do him much more good than being in out of a mid championship level team.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
WoodsyGreen":qfwyjcyc said:
Steve Evans":qfwyjcyc said:
anything less than ten million pounds is not acceptable.

There's no doubt we've let players go for below market value in recent history, but if we placed a £10m pricetag on Jephcott's head his agent will demand a contract worthy of a £10m player.

I'd say £2.5m plus significant add-ons will be about right, but obviously I hope we keep hold of him for the rest of this season at least. Without his goals we'd be stuffed.

I

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Dorset Pilgrim":uoubecl8 said:
I think he's not just a goalscorer, but reads the game and passes and tackles well. £3m maybe, but it doesn't seem to me that he's got a lot of pace over a short distance and I think most top strikers have that. I'm just happy to see him do well, he's got a great attitude on the pitch and he can only get better, hopefully with Argyle.

Jephcott reminds me so much of Robbie Fowler. Now how quick was he ? And how did he fare?