Just a random thought about Argyle badge! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just a random thought about Argyle badge!

Scroll or no scroll?

• Scroll

Votes: 152 93.3%
  • No Scroll

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Prefer the badge from the late 60s banded shirts with the crest in the middle.. looks like a ship.. some of the badges over the last few years have been awful..

Apr 8, 2016
The other option is ditch the shield entirely and have 1886 on hull and Plymouth Argyle underneath or split above and beneath. Or we could maybe fir that in with a traditional shield shape like Barnsley's shield

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Very strong support for the scroll.

I'm surprised with that I must admit.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":3n8n7uzd said:
Very strong support for the scroll.

I'm surprised with that I must admit.

Same.

I don’t get it, a scroll isn’t intrinsically Argyle at all. Unlike the other elements and the actual name of Argyle which is nowhere to be seen.

What about scroll, but with PAFC or with Plymouth Argyle on it?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
999mattyg":18kgtrjk said:
Biggs":18kgtrjk said:
Keepitgreen":18kgtrjk said:
Keep the scroll. Can't believe it's an issue.

I think it is, mainly because it now doesn't fit the branding around the rest of the club and the badge could be cleaned up. A scroll isn't particularly unique or traditional to Argyle, so it should be dispensable.

And aside from the scroll, I can't believe anyone would prefer the letters PAFC over the words 'Plymouth' and 'Argyle'.

PAFC, WBA, QPR.. Can't see what the issue is. Personally I think the scroll looks classier.
My own preference would be to go back to the old Plymouth coat of arms.

That’s completely different, you actually say the name ‘QPR’ and the name ‘WBA’ is often on league tables and results because it’s so recognisable.

PAFC isn’t recognisable, Argyle is and arguably the most unique and interesting name in the country. Hence the Twitter handle Only1Argyle, for example.

May 8, 2011
IJN":3eltwq95 said:
Looking at Pompey and Argyle badges on the PR stuff for this weekend, we've got a scroll at the bottom with PAFC on it, and they just have the badge.

Would ours look neater and better just as a shield, rather than two bits? It is a bit superfluous isn't it?

Let's have a fun vote.............

FC-Logo.jpg

OR

g0lXCxK.png

The badge used by Portsmouth FC is the one owned by Portsmouth City Council and is used on all the City Council buildings and fixtures such as street name signs. Portsmouth FC are thinking of designing their own as they currently don’t own it as a trademark.

If Argyle used the Plymouth City Council’s badge it would have red in it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Why wouldn’t we be arsed about the badge? It’s THE symbol of the whole club.

I must admit, I am very surprised no one seems bothered that the word Argyle isn’t on it.

Ian, is it mischievous to ask if you’ve asked this because you know something? ;) An imminent change would make complete sense, given the rebranding around the ground and also the scroll less badge I’ve seen used in the Abba promotion.

If anyone from Argyle is reading this - and not wishing to speak for anyone - but I find it incredibly hard to believe many people are particularly attached to the scroll.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Biggs":30nvfyis said:
Why wouldn’t we be arsed about the badge? It’s THE symbol of the whole club.

I must admit, I am very surprised no one seems bothered that the word Argyle isn’t on it.

Ian, is it mischievous to ask if you’ve asked this because you know something? ;) An imminent change would make complete sense, given the rebranding around the ground and also the scroll less badge I’ve seen used in the Abba promotion.

If anyone from Argyle is reading this - and not wishing to speak for anyone - but I find it incredibly hard to believe many people are particularly attached to the scroll.

I think the results up above show that people would rather it was left alone though rather than changed, so I’m glad your not speaking for anyone when addressing the club on behalf of ‘many people’. :lol:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mr Biggs,

I am so far away from knowing things honestly mate. I’ve heard nothing.

It’s just seeing the Pompey one next to ours it seemed a bit ‘fussy’ with the extra tail on it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well I did ‘try’ and say that, Daz :lol:. The scroll itself means nothing, I’ve never heard people say they like the scroll, but I have heard people say they like the Mayflower and the shape of the shield. Those are the unique things, not a generic scroll.

I think it’s a slightly loaded question though, because it’s the scroll and no alternative other than no scroll.

If the alternative was a scroll-less badge but with Plymouth Argyle wording on it, I hope the votes would be higher.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Personally I love the scroll.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
The badge and the scroll have a certain gravitas, although I also like the idea of the city crest.