Just a random thought about Argyle badge! | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just a random thought about Argyle badge!

Scroll or no scroll?

• Scroll

Votes: 152 93.3%
  • No Scroll

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Sorry Ian but we are "Plymouth Argyle" always have been and always will be. Simply dropping Plymouth from our name will not recognise the support from Cornwall nor anywhere else outside the city limits. I am a Janner born and bred but the title Plymouth Argyle was not given to recognise the fan base but the club. Plymouth Argyle does not diminish the value of the support from Cornwall, wider Devon and the exiles. We have messed with enough over the years.

Aug 5, 2016
IJN":2glx4dn2 said:
Agree to disagree Derek, we are 'Argyle'. Our Cornish cousins deserve the recognition.

So we 'recognise' Cornwall by renouncing the city of Plymouth in the club's identity?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We belong to Cornwall as well. We always have done.

We're bigger than 'Plymouth' where by the way, a very very small percentage support Argyle.

It's only my opinion of course.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Dropping Plymouth would be like Manchester United dropping Manchester as most of their fans are outside of Manchester, or Liverpool for the same reason dropping...o wait.

Plymouth Argyle is the club's name, has been for 125+ years, I'm sure there were Cornish supporters when the club formed/soon after and it hasn't been a question for that time.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
IJN":2otpn2y3 said:
We belong to Cornwall as well. We always have done.

We're bigger than 'Plymouth' where by the way, a very very small percentage support Argyle.

It's only my opinion of course.

Have you been on the pink gin mate? :lol:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We’re talking about the badge though, not renaming the club. I think just Argyle on the badge makes sense (plenty of clubs just have a nickname on the badge), but I’d prefer the full Plymouth Argyle.

Though of course, the Plymouth part of the name isn’t as old as the Argyle bit as the original team was Argyle Athletic Club.

On a very general point, I do find it rather puzzling that the colour green and the word Argyle are the two most central pillars of our identity and ‘uniqueness’... yet we’re currently completely masking those two things in every visible way.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Willis88":shv81tsa said:
Dropping Plymouth would be like Manchester United dropping Manchester as most of their fans are outside of Manchester, or Liverpool for the same reason dropping...o wait.

Plymouth Argyle is the club's name, has been for 125+ years, I'm sure there were Cornish supporters when the club formed/soon after and it hasn't been a question for that time.

Actually the club was formed by two Cornishmen, not Plymouthians so we weren't just supporters soon after.

Equally they named the club Argyle, not Plymouth Argyle. This name change took place much later, I assume as most clubs had to use the name of their home town/city Argyle had to follow suit.

smudja

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Dont care about the Plymouth bit, majority of 250K Plymothians dont care about PAFC, I dont support Plymouth, rarely Plymouth Argyle... I am an Argyle fan!.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I don't get this you never here of Accrington Stanley wanting rid of Accrington despite the advert saying who are they !
For me in a proud janner and it's Plymouth Argyle and for the more informed it's actually Argo !!!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
edengreen":139wa1hs said:
I don't get this you never here of Accrington Stanley wanting rid of Accrington despite the advert saying who are they !
For me in a proud janner and it's Plymouth Argyle and for the more informed it's actually Argo !!!

Yep. This for me.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Ollieargyle9":ay6vvkai said:
Willis88":ay6vvkai said:

Actually the club was formed by two Cornishmen, not Plymothians so we weren't just supporters soon after.

Equally they named the club Argyle, not Plymouth Argyle. This name change took place much later, I assume as most clubs had to use the name of their home town/city Argyle had to follow suit.

I stand corrected!

But I still don't see the problem with the Plymouth part of the name.

As for the badge, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing without the scroll in my opinion.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Actually two Cornishmen were two of many who were involved originally. It has been Plymouth Argyle for more than 115 years. It has always been based in Plymouth. If it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, then it is a duck, and this duck is most definitely "Plymouth" Argyle.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I would agree, but we're only talking about the badge. Though there too I would have 'Plymouth Argyle'.

To take the Accrington Stanley example mentioned, they do have the full name on the badge but very often identify themselves as just Stanley...

250px-Crown_Ground_sign-geograph-1761360.jpg