Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":tnyyoupi said:
This could be a good time to question the need for a youth set up. If its not producing the goods it could be the standard of player selected as well as the coaching. How many players make the grade versus the amount it costs to run ?In cold economic terms it may not be worth continuing.

That would be a sad day and hopefully never happen.

Plymouth Argyle is THE football club in Devon and Cornwall, to shut off that opportunity for youngsters in the South West would be 1) a total dereliction of duty for a football club positioning itself as community-focused and a club at the heart of the region , and 2) pure stupidity in waiving through all of those promising players to join Exeter or Southampton or whoever else.

The sales, sell-on clauses and potential sell-on clauses from Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Ben Purrington etc etc hopefully make it economically viable anyway.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
THE legend end oƒ.

This is all that needs to be said about the man.

http://greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-playe ... ,3,4,5,6,7

Always loved seeing him play, always loved talking to him. No matter why he left, the club is poorer without the man. Hope he can come back in some sort of Ambassador/Corporate role, he would be cracking at that.

Love the man.

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs":xe2dr6lg said:
oldage":xe2dr6lg said:
This could be a good time to question the need for a youth set up. If its not producing the goods it could be the standard of player selected as well as the coaching. How many players make the grade versus the amount it costs to run ?In cold economic terms it may not be worth continuing.

Plymouth Argyle is THE football club in Devon and Cornwall, to shut off that opportunity for youngsters in the South West would be 1) a total dereliction of duty for a football club positioning itself as community-focused and a club at the heart of the region , and 2) pure stupidity in waiving through all of those promising players to join Exeter or Southampton or whoever else.

The sales, sell-on clauses and potential sell-on clauses from Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Ben Purrington etc etc hopefully make it economically viable anyway.
From the players point of view it must be frustrating that very few make the grade. Is it fair to get the youngsters hopes up ?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Kevin can truly be called a legend his service to the club has been fantastic, as a player he was a perfect role model in the way he played the game and his relationship with the fans.

It looks like the PC brigade are taking over the running of the club.

As I have said before our club has lost its soul.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
dunlop":1hxgojx2 said:
Kevin can truly be called a legend his service to the club has been fantastic, as a player he was a perfect role model in the way he played the game and his relationship with the fans.

It looks like the PC brigade are taking over the running of the club.

As I have said before our club has lost its soul.

So was Kevin not PC? What do you know?

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
PC brigade taking over the running of the club. Deary me. What a ridiculous statement.

Aug 5, 2015
What’s PC about it? I don’t suppose anybody on this site knows for sure why he was moved on. One possible scenario is that the Academy hasn’t exactly been over successful in recent years. That may be why, who knows. Not many businesses would keep someone on who hasn’t fulfilled their remit. Hardly PC.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Biggs":zz39ame3 said:

It has to be admitted that the bunch up the road have produced more players for their first team than Argyle have in recent years. Some of them sold for a lot of money.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":2ui828n4 said:
From the players point of view it must be frustrating that very few make the grade. Is it fair to get the youngsters hopes up ?

Well, if all academies thought that way they'd all shut down tomorrow. A tiny, tiny percentage of players make it from all club's youth setups. The problem is that ours has massively underachieved considering (in theory) it has the pick of the Westcountry's top talent.

As for others saying the club is making a mistake or 'losing its soul', I don't get that at all. I'll have someone who is the best possible man for the job and who will produce the best possible players for the club, over someone who is a club legend.

Edit... I'm sure KH did indeed do a very good job (surprised the win over Man City wasn't mentioned in that statement too), but I think it's probably time for new ideas.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
End of an era for a great servant of the club, but I agree with the comments about a general lack of talent coming through the system to actually make the grade. Clubs like Argyle need to produce stars of the future which will either, help Argyle to get up to the Championship and beyond, OR at least make the club some significant money. The club up the road have done far better than us and this should never happen when Argyle is the major club in Devon.

Aug 5, 2015
I don’t think we should get too carried away by them up the road. Let’s face it despite their relative success in developing players they’re still in L2. It’s the development of players that keeps them afloat. IMO the transfer system works against the use of young players. Boards and fans alike demand success yesterday. Why give a chance to someone who may or not make it when you can quite easily sign someone who already has. It’s only poo clubs like Exeter who can take a chance on younger players as they can’t afford to pay more experienced ones. No doubt some will say we have in fact produced young talent, it’s just they haven’t been given the chance. Maybe that’s true who knows.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've deleted quite a few bits on here for obvious reasons.

Let's not resort to hearsay peeps. Thank you.

Ian
Site Owner.