Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
transparent":1yud99ri said:
My experience with my son suggested poor management and a bad system.
At my son's final review it was suggested there was a lack of consistency in his play from the 5th coach he'd had that season. So, no real consistency in coaches, in reality the most recent coach making a decision based on a few games rather than the whole season.
Probably the biggest problem is who makes the decision on whether to sign a player on. This decision is made by coaches, who admittedly are trained in coaching but does that mean they can spot a good player? I don't believe so. I like the German system much more, where a consensus is built up by referring to other managers, scouts etc.
Maybe PASOTI could be proactive in this area by providing a group of say 20 interested but independent appraisers that watch youth matches and make recommendations. Potentially this could include peninsula league scouts who would have an interest as well.
I agree with other comments on here where the feeling is that there are a lot of very good players slipping through the net because the system is poor.

Kevin never replaced John James when he retired, One of Johns responsibilities was to organise local scouts (ex local footballers) who would be out and about at all DJ&Minor games, I have been a regular watcher over the past 20 years watching my 3 grandsons play for various teams, since JJ has retired the scouts are almost non existent.

The disappointing thing is I know a couple of youngsters who Exeter have picked up their parents tell me the facilities at the Cat and Fiddle and the coaches are far superior to what Argyle have to offer.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
dunlop":2ytaz92c said:
transparent":2ytaz92c said:
At my son's final review it was suggested there was a lack of consistency in his play from the 5th coach he'd had that season. So, no real consistency in coaches, in reality the most recent coach making a decision based on a few games rather than the whole season.
Probably the biggest problem is who makes the decision on whether to sign a player on. This decision is made by coaches, who admittedly are trained in coaching but does that mean they can spot a good player? I don't believe so. I like the German system much more, where a consensus is built up by referring to other managers, scouts etc.
Maybe PASOTI could be proactive in this area by providing a group of say 20 interested but independent appraisers that watch youth matches and make recommendations. Potentially this could include peninsula league scouts who would have an interest as well.
I agree with other comments on here where the feeling is that there are a lot of very good players slipping through the net because the system is poor.

Kevin never replaced John James when he retired, One of Johns responsibilities was to organise local scouts (ex local footballers) who would be out and about at all DJ&Minor games, I have been a regular watcher over the past 20 years watching my 3 grandsons play for various teams, since JJ has retired the scouts are almost non existent.

The disappointing thing is I know a couple of youngsters who Exeter have picked up their parents tell me the facilities at the Cat and Fiddle and the coaches are far superior to what Argyle have to offer.

That is truly disheartening, youngsters are an asset we should be nurturing and progressing. PAFC Academy should be the most attractive this side of Bristol.

May 8, 2011
The departure of a couple of people from the Academy had nothing to do with its success.
Ironically it comes at a time when the Academy is producing youngster likely to make it to the first team or sold on for substantial sums.
It also coincided with the appointment of a Head of Recruitment who used to work for Exeter City.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
justanotherfan":1tuvx8ch said:
dunlop":1tuvx8ch said:
transparent":1tuvx8ch said:

That is truly disheartening, youngsters are an asset we should be nurturing and progressing. PAFC Academy should be the most attractive this side of Bristol.

Like most things at Home Park (until the arrival of the current chairman) the youth has always been done on the cheap.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Unless I missed the point, I don't get the logic of that argument.

Surely the whole point of the corporate tickets is, the £1000's they spend on tickets, gives us revenue to spend on PAFC including The Academy isn't it?

May 8, 2011
IJN":2blah2if said:

Surely the whole point of the corporate tickets is, the £1000's they spend on tickets, gives us revenue to spend on PAFC including The Academy isn't it?

The trickle down theory of economics doesn’t work.
Unfortunately I don’t think the powers that be have much interest in non first team football. As an example an Argyle side including some first team players had a match on Tuesday, there was no pre publicity for it, no tweeting of the score during it and the match report was posted 2 days after the game.
Unfortunately it wasn’t a one off.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's nothing to do with the 'powers' to be fair Clive, just the employees.

It annoys the hell out of me as well, but I don't like peeing in the wind.

The first team is certainly not the be all and end all of our Football Club. Short term thinking is the last thing we need.

I'd love to sing 'He's one of our own' regularly at our match, I really would.

One of the reasons I like the women's game so much is because those girls know what it means to be a Pilgrim.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":27rztq9f said:
IJN":27rztq9f said:

The trickle down theory of economics doesn’t work.
Unfortunately I don’t think the powers that be have much interest in non first team football. As an example an Argyle side including some first team players had a match on Tuesday, there was no pre publicity for it, no tweeting of the score during it and the match report was posted 2 days after the game.
Unfortunately it wasn’t a one off.

In a similar vein the verbiage for the Stevenage tickets calls it an occasion!!

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":arreystm said:

I'm sure the "ordinary" supporters put in a darn sight more financially than a few people in the prawn sandwich area.