Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy

Jan 27, 2012
Kevin Hodges is a genuine Argyle legend. He’s been a player, a manger and a coach and been around the club since the 1970s (with a spell or two elsewhere). He wasn’t a bad manger either- I don’t think anyone could have operated successfully under Dan MacCauley at that time.

I would like to see him given a position at the club to reflect all his years of service and experience. I think he would be a great addition to the board- offering some consistency in terms of his football knowledge.

Hodges deserves much better.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Many years ago there was a steady stream of young professionals that made the transition from youth team football through to reserve team football and then onto the first team .....I give you Johnny Hore,Richard Reynolds,Colin Sullivan as examples.....and that was at a time when Argyle were in league division 2 which is today's CCC...nowadays the young professionals coming through cannot make the step up to the first team even though the club is in division 2 which was division 4 years ago and are struggling to make the grade even at non league level......something obviously is not right in their development and there needed to be a
change...

May 8, 2011
It’s quite disappointing to read people wrongly assuming Hodges is leaving because of a lack of success at the Academy as currently the Academy is producing youngsters who are regularly in the first team squad and are highly regarded by the previous and current manager, plus there are more in the younger age groups that look like they will be part of a ‘production line’.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
For me Kevin Hodges has already cemented himself into the Argyle hall of fame, and somewhere pretty near top billing. Sadly he is trying to encourage the snowflake generation into sufficient commitment to make the grade, with a fair bit of success... but it's getting harder. The Sangster fiasco an example maybe? Saddest part is the cold farewell from Argyle to a true Argyle legend. Maybe less PC and more humanity in the boardroom required PDC?

Nov 2, 2004
oddball":1mmqrwno said:
Many years ago there was a steady stream of young professionals that made the transition from youth team football through to reserve team football and then onto the first team .....I give you Johnny Hore,Richard Reynolds,Colin Sullivan as examples.....and that was at a time when Argyle were in league division 2 which is today's CCC...nowadays the young professionals coming through cannot make the step up to the first team even though the club is in division 2 which was division 4 years ago and are struggling to make the grade even at non league level......something obviously is not right in their development and there needed to be a
change...

Not sure it is that simple. Current products of our youth system include Morrison, Stephens, Walton, Gosling, Nelson and
Gallagher plus several others in the lower leagues. In days gone by these would have remained at Argyle, hence a Championship side. Those days have gone, anyone promising is off. Our youth system will never again form the backbone of the squad, whoever is in charge will have little impact.
Exeter undoubtedly produce better young players than we do, I could be wrong but isn't there acadamy one rung higher than ours?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
HC Green":15b7p6qq said:
It’s quite disappointing to read people wrongly assuming Hodges is leaving because of a lack of success at the Academy as currently the Academy is producing youngsters who are regularly in the first team squad and are highly regarded by the previous and current manager, plus there are more in the younger age groups that look like they will be part of a ‘production line’.

To my memory, Argyle academy players have started 0 league games this season. In fact, other than Lolos, has any other academy player made it on the pitch in a league fixture? Don’t think so.

That’s some production line...

Dec 21, 2015
Does anybody have any concrete numbers on the amount of academy prospects that have signed pro or development contracts with Argyle?

I found this ...

BBC Three pop-documentary Football's Suicide Secret, and Clarke Carlisle has just gone on camera to state "Of all the guy's who come into football, there's only 1% who will make it [as a pro footballer]."

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":2q3j8d3t said:
HC Green":2q3j8d3t said:

To my memory, Argyle academy players have started 0 league games this season. In fact, other than Lolos, has any other academy player made it on the pitch in a league fixture? Don’t think so.

Adam Randell has made 2 sub appearances.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":1j09ujth said:
Nobby":1j09ujth said:
HC Green":1j09ujth said:

Adam Randell has made 2 sub appearances.

Fair enough! For 30 minutes combined. Point stands.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Stonebridge was young but a Spurs youth product, Buster a Pompey reserve Steve McCall type signing, and Steve Adams a very pleasant young chap and model pro but underwhelming talent wise. Odd eulogy.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oddball":2x5vj05c said:
change...

I think the period around 1975-77 was a golden era for production of great young players at Argyle. Can’t for the life of me remember who was running the youth side of things then, but Argyle had a run of great youngsters many of whom made the grade at the top level. Megson, Hodge, Phillips to name just three straight off the top of my head. Mariner wasn’t a product of the youth system, but he was snapped up from non league and became an England international.

Aug 26, 2011
As a player Hodges was a true legend and principal member of Dave Smiths promotion wining side of the late 1980's

As a manager - two mid table finishes in 4th tier of English football - nuff said

As youth manager his methods were out dated and we will not maximise the potential of our youth until there is a massive overhaul of the youth system - a chance for that now

If the club and this site want to cover over reasons thats fine - it was nothing at all to do with lack of players coming through, but its not hearsay Ian Removed by Site Admin

PC gone mad maybe - but the youth system is brutal at times and the players need to be tough enough to come through it . In the end Hodges methods were too old school, but I don't agree with what has happened too him.

Nov 12, 2003
We are talking here about the club's RECORD appearance holder. A player who reached the FA Cup semi-final, won promotion, and played in a side that finished in Argyle's highest ever league position. A man that started here as an apprentice, worked as a coach, and managed the club in very difficult times. He's pretty much done it all- and from what I have read, he is a real gentleman to deal with as well.

Kevin Hodges has earnt the right to be called a LEGEND as much as anyone in the history of this club. He deserves utmost respect.

May 16, 2016
Regardless of who was in charge, how badly was the Youth System affected by the Administration Period and Post recovery ?

The 8 or so Years since then might have seen a Generation of Young Players drop off the Radar, the lack of investment in older lads then would now only allow the typically low per cent of the current batch to start filtering upwards.

The majority would have only been about 8 Years Old back then and are only now hitting the late Teens one would tradiionally expect to start see them appearing more regularly on the Subs Bench etc. Other than the most precocious of Talents and Lads joining from elsewhere, the progress and promotion of Youth doesn't happen overnight does it.