Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
There are two more angles of the FK on matchday moments, it's accurate and hit with pace, it's not a goalkeeping error and yes I'd say exactly the same had it been Macey.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":18mhpl4k said:
philevs":18mhpl4k said:
It's a pity some on here don't seem to realise that there is a lot more to being a good goalkeeper than just shot-stopping ability, and I can only conclude that they haven't played football at any sort of decent level, because it's common knowledge that the goalie is the most important player in the team. That's why the likes of me and many others were calling out for Letheren to replace Macey, because Macey's performances were just not cutting it.
Undeniably, results speak for themselves, and the proof is that Letheren has now been back for 4 games, we've got 3 wins and a draw from them, and the defence is suddenly playing well, even those who were playing crap before (notably Smith-Brown, Canavan, and Edwards), this undoubtedly being due to Letheren's ability to organise his defence, communicate, and give the defenders confidence.
The greatest pity of all, for me, is that DA apparently didn't recognise the need for a change earlier, and it should be remembered that loads on here were calling for it because they could see the obvious; if he had, it seems to me that we probably wouldn't have got to where we were in the league before Letheren came in. But that's DA....
And that's also why I shan't listen to him any more if he bangs on again about "only the professionals know best"!
Just remembered also that Letheren was apparently only brought in because Macey was injured, in which case his inclusion was pretty much taken out of DA's hands!

I bow to your superior knowledge. If its common knowledge keeper is most important posititon why are they not the most expendive. And why did Adams rely on a loanee. Answers on a post card please. What level have you plsyed at as it obviously makes you so wise?

Haven't got a postcard, but since you ask, here are answers to your questions:
1) Keepers are not the most expensive players because there are more of them around - in other words, there is more competition and they therefore command smaller fees and wages.
2) Don't know why DA relied on a loanee, but to me it clearly appears to have been to our detriment.
3) I have played at a decent level, albeit almost 50 years ago - Cornwall under-15's (when I played at Home Park against Plymouth Schools with Trevor Francis on the opposing side), Somerset under-18's, final England under-18 schoolboys' trial representing the South-West, Bristol City youth team, Wolves youth team. But that's not really the point, if you ask anyone who has played at a decent level, they will tell you that it doesn't matter who else you have in your team, if you haven't got a good goalie you cannot have a good team (e.g. you can score six but it you concede seven, you lose); it is the key position from which any good team has to build.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I'm just staggered that Balham is offended by someone appearing superior. I'm polishing my pot and kettle in readiness.

Mar 16, 2009
London
philevs":35vf78lw said:
Balham_Green":35vf78lw said:
philevs":35vf78lw said:
It's a pity some on here don't seem to realise that there is a lot more to being a good goalkeeper than just shot-stopping ability, and I can only conclude that they haven't played football at any sort of decent level, because it's common knowledge that the goalie is the most important player in the team. That's why the likes of me and many others were calling out for Letheren to replace Macey, because Macey's performances were just not cutting it.
Undeniably, results speak for themselves, and the proof is that Letheren has now been back for 4 games, we've got 3 wins and a draw from them, and the defence is suddenly playing well, even those who were playing crap before (notably Smith-Brown, Canavan, and Edwards), this undoubtedly being due to Letheren's ability to organise his defence, communicate, and give the defenders confidence.
The greatest pity of all, for me, is that DA apparently didn't recognise the need for a change earlier, and it should be remembered that loads on here were calling for it because they could see the obvious; if he had, it seems to me that we probably wouldn't have got to where we were in the league before Letheren came in. But that's DA....
And that's also why I shan't listen to him any more if he bangs on again about "only the professionals know best"!
Just remembered also that Letheren was apparently only brought in because Macey was injured, in which case his inclusion was pretty much taken out of DA's hands!

I bow to your superior knowledge. If its common knowledge keeper is most important posititon why are they not the most expendive. And why did Adams rely on a loanee. Answers on a post card please. What level have you plsyed at as it obviously makes you so wise?

1) Keepers are not the most expensive players because there are more of them around - in other words, there is more competition and they therefore command smaller fees and wages.
2) Don't know why DA relied on a loanee, but to me it clearly appears to have been to our detriment.
3) I have played at a decent level, albeit almost 50 years ago - Cornwall under-15's (when I played at Home Park against Plymouth Schools with Trevor Francis on the opposing side), Somerset under-18's, final England under-18 schoolboys' trial representing the South-West, Bristol City youth team, Wolves youth team. But that's not really the point, if you ask anyone who has played at a decent level, they will tell you that it doesn't matter who else you have in your team, if you haven't got a good goalie you cannot have a good team (e.g. you can score six but it you concede seven, you lose); it is the key position from which any good team has to build.

Hmmm. So you played some kids football in the 60's and that makes you such an expert on the modern game you belittle those who have a different opinion to you?

Sorry, but the most important players in the team are the goalscorers.

You can't win a football match without scoring.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Whether they’re THE most important player I don’t know, but they’re even more important in 2019 as both the last line of defence against the opposition and now the skilled starter of attacks.

Macey needs to seriously work on his distribution if he is to make it at Arsenal or any other club that plays out from the back.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Justin":274k3m60 said:
Bristol Rich":274k3m60 said:
Justin":274k3m60 said:
IJN":274k3m60 said:
I agree with Justin, that Swindon game put me right off him.

That’s what did it for me too Ian.

Harsh maybe to judge on one performance, but his limitations were hopelessly exposed that night.

Take it you will be retracting this statement now?

Which saves that Letheren made yesterday would Macey have failed to save then? They were routine saves. Also Letheren should have kept out the free kick. Macey would have been slaughtered on here if he’d let that in.

I do agree Letheren should keep his place as it’s a winning team and he’s played his part. But Macey’s a much better keeper.

So the turn round in form is just...coincidence? I think Macey had lost the confidence of the back four...Letheren is clearly a better communicator but not as good a shot stopper. At the moment I would say he is doing enough to hold his place.

May 1, 2011
IJN":1k6tyf0h said:
Bumping like this confuses the hell out of people Rich.

Why not start a new thread, simply linking with the old one?

I certainly take my comment back, chuffed to do it as well.

I see what you mean.

1 game at the time at the moment, let's hope Macey and the rest of the team keeps their form up.

Sep 6, 2006
Old Gunner":36w7jxiw said:
Justin":36w7jxiw said:
Bristol Rich":36w7jxiw said:
Justin":36w7jxiw said:
IJN":36w7jxiw said:

Harsh maybe to judge on one performance, but his limitations were hopelessly exposed that night.

Which saves that Letheren made yesterday would Macey have failed to save then? They were routine saves. Also Letheren should have kept out the free kick. Macey would have been slaughtered on here if he’d let that in.

I do agree Letheren should keep his place as it’s a winning team and he’s played his part. But Macey’s a much better keeper.

So the turn round in form is just...coincidence? I think Macey had lost the confidence of the back four...Letheren is clearly a better communicator but not as good a shot stopper. At the moment I would say he is doing enough to hold his place.

You seriously think our turn around in form is due to the replacement of one average keeper by another? Wow!

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":1jujownd said:
Balham_Green":1jujownd said:
philevs":1jujownd said:

Many who have played at a much higher level than you who know little about football. Means f all. There are more keepers than other positions?! Really? Think you just made that up didnt you?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Balham_Green":nrmvbmq6 said:
Old Gunner":nrmvbmq6 said:
Justin":nrmvbmq6 said:
Bristol Rich":nrmvbmq6 said:
Justin":nrmvbmq6 said:
IJN":nrmvbmq6 said:

You seriously think our turn around in form is due to the replacement of one average keeper by another? Wow!

Yes :)

Oct 5, 2013
Justin":1zunqtxg said:
philevs":1zunqtxg said:
Balham_Green":1zunqtxg said:
philevs":1zunqtxg said:

Hmmm. So you played some kids football in the 60's and that makes you such an expert on the modern game you belittle those who have a different opinion to you?

Sorry, but the most important players in the team are the goalscorers.

You can't win a football match without scoring.

Why don’t you contact DA and ask him what the most important position in the team is?