Lowe and Mayor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe and Mayor

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I would feel happier if he told us that his family have moved down with him. I think that was their intention in early 2020.

Jun 27, 2019
We will miss Ryan Lowe when he's gone. We probably didn't sufficiently appreciate or enjoy Sturrock's first reign with us, or Holloway's great team in the Championship - so I'm sure as hell going to make the most of enjoying Lowe and his team while they're with us.

The doubters and moaners might really have something to doubt and moan about when the next man comes in.

Jul 12, 2016
Manchesterlalala":2jtns288 said:
Tin hat on.

For me Danny Mayor is every bit as good as Carey and Lameiras were. But those two delivered some amazing (and important) individual goals which Danny's lacked so far. Therein lies the rub - plenty of Argyle fans only look at goals scored to see a player's value. However his input to the whole game and the system we play is seriously impressive. He draws defenders away for others to make runs and whilst he's not always the immediate assist, a lot of what he does ends up creating a chance somewhere down the line. And it's so exciting seeing players play for your team who can take on and beat men with a bit of trickery. But if he had 15 goals a season to go with that, he most definitely would not be playing for us in League 1.
As for Lowe, in 35 of years of being a fan, he's probably my favourite manager. Sturrock got the results first time round but we were largely ugly to watch and his off field demeanour wasn't as captivating. Lovely guy but the way Lowe interacts with our fans and media together with the football he gets us to play is what sets him apart for me. Not to mention his network of contacts is impressive for a young manager. He's destined for bigger and better - whether the club can move forward at the same pace remains to be seen but I hope we all succed in his vision together.
To give a different view ,Mayor is a good player but not half as good as he was made out to be by RL. Lameiras on his day was
a far better player as was Carey in his heyday. RL has brainwashed a lot of fans because "he talks the talk" and is personable. In truth we scraped home last season and I am pleasantly surprised at our current position but RL has been blessed with the backing of an excellent chairman who has supported him all the way. I really hope that RL delivers but imo it is too early to put him in the same bracket as Sturrock.Time will tell.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
oldage":1xdatpt3 said:
Manchesterlalala":1xdatpt3 said:
Tin hat on.

For me Danny Mayor is every bit as good as Carey and Lameiras were. But those two delivered some amazing (and important) individual goals which Danny's lacked so far. Therein lies the rub - plenty of Argyle fans only look at goals scored to see a player's value. However his input to the whole game and the system we play is seriously impressive. He draws defenders away for others to make runs and whilst he's not always the immediate assist, a lot of what he does ends up creating a chance somewhere down the line. And it's so exciting seeing players play for your team who can take on and beat men with a bit of trickery. But if he had 15 goals a season to go with that, he most definitely would not be playing for us in League 1.
As for Lowe, in 35 of years of being a fan, he's probably my favourite manager. Sturrock got the results first time round but we were largely ugly to watch and his off field demeanour wasn't as captivating. Lovely guy but the way Lowe interacts with our fans and media together with the football he gets us to play is what sets him apart for me. Not to mention his network of contacts is impressive for a young manager. He's destined for bigger and better - whether the club can move forward at the same pace remains to be seen but I hope we all succed in his vision together.
To give a different view ,Mayor is a good player but not half as good as he was made out to be by RL. Lameiras on his day was
a far better player as was Carey in his heyday. RL has brainwashed a lot of fans because "he talks the talk" and is personable. In truth we scraped home last season and I am pleasantly surprised at our current position but RL has been blessed with the backing of an excellent chairman who has supported him all the way. I really hope that RL delivers but imo it is too early to put him in the same bracket as Sturrock.Time will tell.

The term 'scraped home' is hugely disengenuous when there were weeks of the season left to play when it was abandoned. Argyle's form was improving at that time.

Its interesting to read the opinion that Lameiras and Carey were so superior considering they were part of a team that was relegated to division 4. If they were so good, why did the likes of Mayor have to come to undo their relegation? All I can say is thank god Mayor did turn up after those two supposedly incredible players hadn't managed to keep us in the third tier of English football.
Interesting that both players didn't get snapped up by higher league English teams too at the end of their stint with Argyle...one would have thought Carey would have been keen to showcase his skills for (presumably) one of the many championships suitors rather than in a dire league in front of paltry sub 1000 crowds... I mean since he was soooo superior.

I have to agree with Manchester, it seems that certain Argyle fans have a very basic way of measuring player quality: did he score? No = crap, Yes = fantastic.

Sep 6, 2006
up_the_line":1myzg66o said:
oldage":1myzg66o said:
Manchesterlalala":1myzg66o said:
Tin hat on.

The term 'scraped home' is hugely disengenuous when there were weeks of the season left to play when it was abandoned. Argyle's form was improving at that time.

Its interesting to read the opinion that Lameiras and Carey were so superior considering they were part of a team that was relegated to division 4. If they were so good, why did the likes of Mayor have to come to undo their relegation? All I can say is thank god Mayor did turn up after those two supposedly incredible players hadn't managed to keep us in the third tier of English football.
Interesting that both players didn't get snapped up by higher league English teams too at the end of their stint with Argyle...one would have thought Carey would have been keen to showcase his skills for (presumably) one of the many championships suitors rather than in a dire league in front of paltry sub 1000 crowds... I mean since he was soooo superior.

I have to agree with Manchester, it seems that certain Argyle fans have a very basic way of measuring player quality: did he score? No = crap, Yes = fantastic.

Well Carey ended up in the Bulgarian 1st Division and Lameiras in the Portuguese 1st Division so they didn't do too badly! And they were both part of a side just missing out on the play offs in previous season. They can hardly be blamed for our defensive deficiencies when we got relegated.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Balham_Green":jodxrxbq said:
up_the_line":jodxrxbq said:
oldage":jodxrxbq said:
Manchesterlalala":jodxrxbq said:
Tin hat on.

Well Carey ended up in the Bulgarian 1st Division and Lameiras in the Portuguese 1st Division so they didn't do too badly! And they were both part of a side just missing out on the play offs in previous season. They can hardly be blamed for our defensive deficiencies when we got relegated.

The Bulgarian and Portuguese 1st divisions:
In the words of Shania Twain, that don't impress me much.
Or are we saying that Carey turned down countless offers from the likes of Derby or Middlesbrough to peruse a dream of playing in front of 750 fans in a crumbling, windswept bowl?

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":13epk9bg said:
Balham_Green":13epk9bg said:
up_the_line":13epk9bg said:
oldage":13epk9bg said:
Manchesterlalala":13epk9bg said:
Tin hat on.

Or are we saying that Carey turned down countless offers from the likes of Derby or Middlesbrough to peruse a dream of playing in front of 750 fans in a crumbling, windswept bowl?

Not from Derby or Middlesbrough but the answer to the rest of the question is yes.

Sep 6, 2006
up_the_line":38jgqmtd said:
Balham_Green":38jgqmtd said:
up_the_line":38jgqmtd said:
oldage":38jgqmtd said:
Manchesterlalala":38jgqmtd said:
Tin hat on.

Perhaps money had something to do with it?! Obviously Lameiras was not likely to play in the Bundesliga for example but Portuguese 1st division is a pretty good standard.

Oct 5, 2013
Matts 19":nw3c4pza said:
Returnofthepob":nw3c4pza said:
Cobi Budge":nw3c4pza said:
Lowe has definitely been a breath of fresh air and the attacking football we're playing is, in my opinion, the best we've played since the Holloway era in the Championship. He's still very young as well and will be learning on the job, which makes me think he'll definitely manage at a high level. His backroom staff who also came from Bury are also clearly a big part of what we're doing, along with Nance and the addition of Neil Dewsnip. On & off the pitch, for the first time in a very, very long time, the club feels as if it has real direction & real leadership.

Danny is a very talented player, though I think with Danny, people were perhaps led to believe he'd be very similar to Carey, AKA be directly scoring goals constantly, when in actual fact he's used more to assist the assister and be the man who carries us forward, which he's exceptional at doing.

I’d agree with that. Both top drawer.
What’s the latest with Bury AFC / Bury FC

Tbh it is all absolute chaos

It is hard to tell what sort of numbers are behind AFC as attendances have been limited to 300 (covid restrictions)and every game so far has sold out. Although they have over 1000 members IMO a lot of Bury fans simply refuse to get on bored as the original Bury FC are still in theory going. The club has not been officially liquidated so hope still remains. Those who have publicly shown allegiance to AFC are being branded as traitors, rats and never real Bury Fc fans in the first place

Strong rumours going around that the madman who owns us (Steve Dale) will sell for £200,000 rather than the initial 1.5 million he was asking for have got many excited that Bury FC will return at Gigg lane sooner rather than later. Sad thing is good men like Mike Curtis (groundsman) are still working full time at the club without pay. 18 month on and he is still mowing the grass dailly, the pitch is in pristine condition and he refuses to believe/accept it is over

The fan base is completely split and tbh the whole situation is a complete and utter clusterf**k. It really is a massive mess

Interested to hear your update on the situation at Bury. Sounds like a lot of your fans have their heart in the right place, and if that’s the case, I’m sure you’ll survive and rise again.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Balham_Green":u4lo9fim said:
up_the_line":u4lo9fim said:
Balham_Green":u4lo9fim said:
up_the_line":u4lo9fim said:
oldage":u4lo9fim said:
Manchesterlalala":u4lo9fim said:
Tin hat on.

Perhaps money had something to do with it?! Obviously Lameiras was not likely to play in the Bundesliga for example but Portuguese 1st division is a pretty good standard.

I watched Sporting CP when I was in Lisbon. The opposition team were laughably crap.
Which channel is showing the games from Portugal?

Jul 12, 2016
up_the_line":2u1pphef said:
oldage":2u1pphef said:
Manchesterlalala":2u1pphef said:
Tin hat on.

We could easily have missed out on promotion because we were far from convincing and it was just as well the season finished when it did. Mayor has done little to date to suggest he is better than Carey or Lameiras. He has only played 11 times in league one and who knows he could still be part of a relegation team .Nobody has yet answered a question I have raised before ,if Mayor is so good why aren't other clubs queuing up to sign him? He is a good player and RL has the potential to be a great manager but it is far too early to go overboard on their achievements to date.

Jun 27, 2019
Always makes me laugh when people ask why clubs aren't 'queuing up' to sign a particular player.

Where is this mythical queue and how do we see what clubs are in it?

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":1ym4kbzn said:
Always makes me laugh when people ask why clubs aren't 'queuing up' to sign a particular player.

Where is this mythical queue and how do we see what clubs are in it?
To the best of my knowledge no other teams have made a move for him and there have not been any rumours to that affect. If you know differently perhaps you would like to share the info with us?